Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 04:57:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Swine flu now Human Flu  (Read 31374 times)
Eric Day
Posting Member

« on: April 30, 2009, 05:20:42 pm »

Now that the virus has spread to several countries and states in the US, here are some recommendations for the bloggers and families.

- Wash hand very often (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT)
 - DO NOT hand-shake ANYBODY
 - DO NOT kiss ANYBODY
 - DO NOT borrow or lend ANYTHING to ANYBODY (things, food, etc)
 - avoid crowded places
 - on first symptoms, go to the nearest healthcare center. The vaccine works, but only during the first 24-48 hours.

and, of course, DO NOT panic. If treated properly, there should be no problem.

I sincerely wish the best to everybody. Take care.
We are praying for everybody.

If anybody needs more info, please let me know. We have plenty of information on this.

Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:46:19 pm »

Shall we cancel all of our race plans? Stop going to work? School? The grocery store?

When can we restart these things? This is sure to be around for a while. Is it too late to go out and stock up on several months worth of Cheerios and toilet paper?

Seriously, wash your hands and try not to pick your nose too much.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »

Eric, it must be pretty crazy over there.  Thank you for thinking of us US folks.  We'll keep your communities in prayer. 
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 05:37:01 am »

I'm not trying to be be harsh, but I'm just saying that as the situation stands it's not necessary to live our lives in fear. Statistically, there are a whole lot of other bad things that are more likely happen to us.

Examples
35 chicago public school children died of violence this year.
Thousands will start smoking and eventually die of it.
Hundreds will start drinking and eventually die of that.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:09:40 am »

There are 109 confirmed cases of Swine Flu in the US with 1 death. 

Normal influenza kills 30,000-50,000 people in the US each year.  Most are elderly or young, but it is still a large number, much larger than the swine flu. 

I intend to be cautious like Eric said, but keep living my normal life like Dallen says.
David S
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:49:42 am »

I agree, it is completely over blown.  How many children are killed or injured in car accidents everyday?  Does that mean we stop driving our kids around?  We take the necessary safety precautions, yes, but we cannot live in fear.  The media loves to create a frenzy and scare the heck out of everyone - it's great for ratings and it sells newspapers!
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 09:45:31 am »

I think most of us are on the same page...just wanted to express compassion to Eric who's in the center of the "hype". 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 10:35:04 am »

Yes, it is easier to feel it a bit overdone when you aren't actually surrounded by people who have the disease.  Stay healthy, Eric.
Jeffrey McClellan
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 11:29:04 am »

just curious, what are the symptoms of the swine flu?  I don't really stay up to date on current events, so I haven't really read anything on this, other than looking at charts detailing where in the world it has spread to, and the number of reported cases.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:22:02 pm »

Same as the regular flu.  I agree that this is over dune by the media, but that is why we love them right? Angry  Wash your hand after reading this.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 08:35:41 am »

Thanks guys.

Symptons are almost the same as a regular flu, just a little bit harder.

Dallen, yes, don't go to the extreme side, at least yet. Live normal, just take extra precautions (especially the hand washing).
The state that I live in has no cases yet, but we are all just waiting to hear the first one.

This influenza moves very, VERY, fast. And its through human contact (handshaking, kissing, etc).
The death in the US was a Mexican boy taken to the US for treatment...

Now, got to go wash my hands...again. =)

April G
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 02:32:20 pm »

The H1N1 virus(swine flu) is similar to the regular flu--basically respiratory symptoms and fever.  As with most anything else, young children, elderly adults, and immunocompromised patients are in the most danger of serious illness.  If I lived in Mexico, like Eric does, I think I would definitely feel much more freaked about the whole thing.  As is stands now, good 'ol handwashing should take care of most of us, and don't hang out with somebody who just returned from a trip to Mexico and isn't feeling well....
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 07:36:18 am »

April, yes, but the funny part is that most of the sick people are ages 25-40.
It might be because children and older people got shots for the regular Influenza?

April G
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 09:54:22 am »

That is odd--I would expect the opposite to be true!  Perhaps it is because 25-40 is the age group that is out of the house and out in public areas and more active--therefore more likely to be exposed?  I hear today that the spread is slowing down in Mexico...good news!  I hope that trend continues.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 10:09:43 am »

yes, so far, now they are debating whether to let children go back to school on wednesday or another day....

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: