Fast Running Blog
June 25, 2024, 05:12:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: strides rule of thumb?  (Read 2676 times)
crumpyb1
Lurker

« on: August 04, 2011, 05:11:04 pm »

Can someone remind me what the rule of thumb is for doing a run with strides (or pick ups) in it?  Was it one stride per mile you are running so if you are running 10 miles you do 10 strides?  How long should a stride be? 100 m? 200 m?  How far apart should they be? One every mile or so?  And at what pace?  Race pace (marathon race pace or 10K race pace) or fast as you can while still being able to complete your run?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:04:09 pm »

The whole thing about strides, at least as I do them, is they are whatever you want them to be.  Generally, the only time I do them is during my day-before-race runs.  If I'm doing 4 ez miles, I'll usually do 4 strides.  Sometimes I spread them out over the run, sometimes all in 1 mile.  I usually do about 20 seconds (just over 100 yards?) at a pretty good clip- often up on my toes, almost sprinting.  But they should be fast and relaxed, not killer and tense.  Ease into and out of them- gradual speed up and slow down.  That's what I do.  But like I said, there are no official rules.  I would just say don't overdo it.
Colby
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:40:57 am »

Great question and although I don't have any idea about strides, I am very interested in the ideas and recommendations from others.
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

We use strides often as a form of practicing form and turn over. We do speed changes regularly in our workouts which is a stride. Often it is right after a 2 mile warm up run, and usually on the track. 4 laps -- Run the straights striding out and slow recovery on the curves. The first straight is at about 65% and you increase 5% faster each one until you are close to race pace the last few. On each one try to run relaxed and pay close attention to your form. Knee lift, arm swing, not over striding or under striding, running tall are things we mentally check while doing them. After you are done with these we usually do a slow lap for recovery and get to a good speedwork session. That is just one way I coach strides into our preparations. The other is part of a warm up routine before a race. I like to see the kids get into a routine of doing the same things before each race. It is a comfort thing. Wake the body up and tell it what you are about to ask of it. So I recommend that they warm up with a light run, some light stretching, a few drills that become routine, and then their strides. Not too many just enough to start a sweat. You find comfort in routine and can adjust the amounts to what works best for you to be ready to run.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: