Fast Running Blog
June 28, 2024, 01:49:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relay Race Help  (Read 2338 times)
Scott
Lurker

« on: August 10, 2011, 07:44:30 pm »

I'm a late addition to a 12-person relay team.  The race begins on Friday and is 200 miles long. 

I've never been involved in a relay before.  I don't think speed is an issue for this group (I only know the one person that asked me to run) and its more of a fun run.  I will have three legs, totally about 20 miles, I believe.

As I am a newbie, can anyone tell me 1) how to run these legs - do I run like I'm racing? do I try to pace myself to ensure decent strength for the 3 legs? etc.; 2) what should I expect (should I change to fresh clothes after each leg? sleeping? eating? etc.).

I know it's late notice, but any information would be helpful.  Thank you!
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:58:40 pm »

How hard you run depends on your level of fitness... Is 20 miles a lot for you?  If so, do a walk/run from the start, i.e., run 4 minutes, walk 1 or run 4:30, walk 0:30... this will allow you to run semi-hard yet save your legs.. I usually go almost as fast as I can on all legs, with walk breaks per above... (I'm 58 and average a bit faster than 9mpm) .. walk for a mile or so and throughly stretch after each leg.. ask if you have a team masseuse (rare) or if someone is bringing a massage stick .. or self massage after each leg...

You may want to carry a water bottle or team may stop every few miles to provide a drink.. talk about drink strategy in advance.. make sure team knows when you expect a drink if not carrying your own.

Take wet naps (team captain may provide).. If a shower is not available after your leg, wipe down and change into fresh clothes.. I'd take 3 sets of clothes.. and large zip lock bags to contain potential smell..

Sleep options vary by race... see race bible/ask team captain.. usually runners will bring a sleeping bag .. sometimes there are showers and sleeping areas at major exchange zones.. sometimes no showers and sleeping is outdoors.. don't expect to get much.. practice safe sleeping (don't sleep where a vehicle could run over you.. you'll be surprised where people sleep)

Team Captain may bring sandwich fixings or may plan to stop at restaurants.. if not eating team provided food, bring some sports bars, fruit, cheese sticks, etc.. ask team captain about water and ade and if they will have an ice chest.. you may need to bring your own or it may be provided.. each runner should have a personal reflective vest, headlamp and taillight... bring a towel, gym bag and padlock if showers available..

Think about temperature extremes, i.e., may be cold at night, may be very hot during day.. bring appropriate running clothes and sunscreen.. as well as a full change of clothes for after.. bring a cow bell or other noisemaker to cheer on team mates.. use judiciously at night (not in residential areas) .. Have fun, take photos..

MarkP_
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:35:38 am »

I've done a few and usually feel a little sick, because you need to push to a 5K-10K pace, but it can be hot for the mid-afternoon runs.  Legs 1 and 2 are OK, but expect the 3rd to be brutal.  If it is not, you probably didn't run hard enough.  It's a different story for the Ultra teams where you run at 1/2 marathon pace.  Sleeping is something you can do after the race.  Also, it is generally very difficult to eat, but force yourself.

Good luck, you will love it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: