Fast Running Blog
May 22, 2024, 05:07:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The new "Filter" on the blogs page????  (Read 8305 times)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« on: July 21, 2008, 10:59:36 am »

Did I miss something about why you have to filter your search every time you look at peoples blogs? I personally like the old way. Can we change it back? When I want to go through everyones blog and leave comments and stuff I have to re-filter every time. I think my active reading of others blogs is down because it's just a pain, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I know in theory that it is nice to filter your search when your looking for someone specific, but for the morning browser who will randomly jump on anyones blog its trouble. Holler if you hear me on this one.
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:52:35 am »

I hear ya Superfly!  Amen!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 12:36:54 pm »

Guys, hold your horses! Have you considered what is going to happen when every web crawler in the world starts hitting that page? And when a buggy one starts hitting it as fast is his fat pipe will let him? That page used to show every one of the 600+ and growing blogs. It takes only one buggy or malicious bot to bring the blog server down, which happened a couple of weeks ago. So I had to clean it up in a hurry to minimize the server load.

So it is going to stay the way it is. Learn to use the filter (all you have to do is choose Updated With the Last 10 years to see all of the blogs), bookmarks on your browser, and the favorite blogs feature.  I will make some small improvements in the filter, but we will never again have it showing all the blogs at once.

Jeff Linger

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:52:40 pm »

I don't have a major problem with the filter system, especially if Sasha has made the change for efficieny purposes. I agree that my blog reading is a bit more difficult. Perhaps we just need to brainstorm on good filtering methods that will enable us to pull up what we're looking for more effectively.
Cheryl Keith
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:56:03 pm »

Sasha--I don't know what my problem is, I've done everything you've said and still cannot get all the blogs to show.  It just shows mine.  I'm putting in updated in the last 10 years and still nothing more than mine.  WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 01:35:04 pm »

Just an idea: could you default the page to show all blogs updated within the last two hours? That would only show a dozen or two blogs, and also give the blogophiles easy access to the most recent blogs.

Or...

Is there a way to pass the filter queries through the URL and then set a bookmark? That would work well for me.

Somewhat unrelated: the Goal Type dropdown is to the right of its label, and it looks really weird. Looking at the source code, I think you just need a line break and to adjust your <td></td> tags to include the label in the same table cell as the dropdown. But enough backseat driving...
adam

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 01:43:46 pm »

Somewhat unrelated: the Goal Type dropdown is to the right of its label, and it looks really weird. Looking at the source code, I think you just need a line break and to adjust your <td></td> tags to include the label in the same table cell as the dropdown. But enough backseat driving...

Wow. That was intense.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 01:46:39 pm »

Yeah, I'm a pretty intense dude.
Superfly

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 02:34:52 pm »

I like Paul's idea just show like the last 2-4 hours of updated blogs so you don't have to keep re-filtering every time you comment or enter a page.
breanna cobler
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 02:49:01 pm »

Now I have just been going to the mileage board because that shows all the pages too. It works just as well as the old page.
Cheryl Keith
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 03:03:34 pm »

Now I have just been going to the mileage board because that shows all the pages too. It works just as well as the old page.

Yeah, I figured out going to the mileage board also so I quit worrying about the blog page, but I still want to know what I'm doing wrong.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 04:00:48 pm »

Cheryl:

Either your MSIE 7 has a bug or you have not been clicking the Filter button after selecting "updated with the last 10 years". Last time it actually submitted your filter data to  the show_blogs.php page was a week ago. MSIE browsers are notorious for caching pages regardless of how hard you tell them not to cache, and they just love to cache what they are not supposed to.

I would recommend ditching MSIE 7 altogether and using Firefox. When you download it from the blog and install it on your computer the world becomes a better place. You get a better browser for free, the blog gets $1 from Google, and the Microsoft grip on the browser market is one user weaker. I say win-win for the good guys.

Cheryl Keith
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 04:10:35 pm »

Thanks, Sasha.  I'm not great at understanding computer stuff, but my husband is so hopefully he can figure it out. 
Josse

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 09:40:40 pm »

It took me awhile to figure out you had to filter it to get the blogs to show.  I hate it too.  I  hardly use that feature anymore, there for I don't go and look at very many peoples blogs anymore.  I use the mileage board as well, but don't tend to go past the 1st or 2nd page.   Sorry  Sasha I just don't like it.
Mark Olson
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 10:42:18 pm »

It took me awhile to figure out you had to filter it to get the blogs to show. 
Me too.  For the sake of newcomers, I suggest changing the name of the "Filter" button to "Search".  "Filter" is normally used to narrow down search results, and as the page is currently constituted there are no results to filter.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: