Fast Running Blog
May 03, 2024, 10:55:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Poll
Question: Training review request & advice for first marathon
training - 2 (50%)
training - 2 (50%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training advice  (Read 5323 times)
Mauri Snoke-Ordway
Lurker

« on: February 18, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »

I'm hoping to run my first marathon the first part of June - with my husband. I've ran 10K's and some half marathons (last one 2:06). But,the last time I trained for a marathon was almost 25 yrs ago before kids!  Now kids are grown and gone. I've run off and on during that time, but, worked out mainly at the gym.  I wasn't able to run the marathon due to a hip injury which I know was from over training.  Just as a side note I also had an eating disorder, but don't know if that really played a part in anything.
The last 2 yrs I've been averaging running 5 days/wk. I have to workout 5 days/wk doing something. I've never been blessed with speed like alot of people on here. I run as fast now as I did 20 yrs ago. I've been trying to follow a running schedule off of Runners World.  Average is 30-35 mpw with 3 Rest/cross training days. When I run indoors I average a 8:30/mile. Outside I think I'm slower. I would love to increase my speed.  Since I don't have alot of upper body strengh I've been trying to work on that also to see if it'll help.  
I'd like to do a 4:00 marathon but don't know if I can pull that off.   If I follow my RW schedule I've got a 14 mile run on Sat.  Plan on making it an easy run and see what I can do. So far my hip hasn't given me any problems in the last yr or so.  
Any training advice would be very helpful!
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 12:56:57 am »

I think I know which RW plan you're talking about. I think it was designed by the Furman Institute. I think this is the plan you refer to

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--8257-1-1X2X3X4X5X6-7,00.html 

I actually had a lengthy debate with my brother-in-law over this plan. I started a post about it. You can find it here.

http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,758.0.html

I'm not in favor of the plan. And many of the blog's top runners are not either. You can see why in the post directly above. Something is lost when you replace your 3 easy days of running with cross training. Muscular development is lost, enzymatic development is lost, running economy is lost, etc. By lost, I mean, you've lost the development that would have occurred during those extra 3 days. Cross-training in addition to 6 days/week is great. Of course, it all depends on your needs. Certainly one can train to complete a marathon off 3 days running and 3 days cross training. However, I would go further to say that not only are these developmental aspects lost, your risk for injury is actually greater as the running workouts are all very tough workouts done on a body that is less prepared to handle those workouts.
Mauri Snoke-Ordway
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:06:09 am »

You're right Jeff.  That is pretty much the plan. I was having a hard time with the 3 rest & cross train days.  But, for the last 2 wks I've been really trying to be 'good' and follow the schedule. But, I think I'm going to back off and run like I normally do.  It was taking the fun out of running thinking I had to do a certain thing each day.  I like to go anywhere from 6 - 10 miles 5 days a week.  I like a long run 1 or 2 days a week.  Usually average 35-40 mpw. But, I do plan on still working alittle on core & arm strength. I just wish I could figure out how to pick up some speed.  Thought that might come with the cross training. Thanks again.
jtshad

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:02:28 am »

I agree with Jeff that to be good and effective at a sport or endeavor, you have to train for that endeavor.  While cross training is good to allow for some recovery, increasing your base mileage by trying to run 5-6 days a week is much more beneficial.   Don't worry to much about speedwork, just increase your mileage smartly to help  you avoid injury (especially with the hip!). 

Good luck on the 14 miler!
Jeff Linger

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:22:46 pm »

Speed will come naturally as your base mileage increases both leg strength and aerobic capacity. I'd recommend at least 6 months of simply aerobic base training (lighter runs where you're burning primarily fat and less sugar) before encorporating speed work. You could even go longer than 6 months. Once your aerobic capacity improves your body will reap better benefits from the speed work, have less chance for injury, and have the aerobic fitness necessary to be productive at those speed workouts. Feel free to drop me an email if you want to talk more about it.
Mauri Snoke-Ordway
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »

Great advice.  Thank you.   I'm not going to worry so much about following a schedule and focus more on just putting miles in.  I need to be able to run consistently. Today I did 8 3/4 with a few stops to take off my jacket, put jacket back and or just needed to walk for a sec...and I was still tired at the end. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:01:52 pm »

You posted a poll with two options "training" and "training". I voted for training! :-)

Your training in February looked very good. Very good advice from both Jeffs, keep following it. Eating disorder for a runner could be a problem if it leans in the direction of eating too little, because if you do not eat the body eats your bones and muscles. It is difficult for a small woman to learn to eat like a pig, but that is what she has to do to have enough nutrition to run good mileage without injuries or overtraining. Eat a lot, just make sure it is nutritionally sound.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:33:07 pm »

I am a smallish woman and have no problem eating a lot as long as I stay off the blasted scale!  Eat a LOT of healthy food and it makes a huge difference in powering through workouts and lots of miles without breaking down.  I am finally really beginning to learn and understand this!  Good ol' base building works wonders--definitely the best advice I ever took.
Mauri Snoke-Ordway
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:33 pm »

I didn't know how to get past the voting buttons when posting the request.  You're the only one who's voted! :-)   

I've loved the advice I've been getting.  Have learned a ton.  When I started running in the early 80's really helped. Kinda hard to starve when you're running!  I eat pretty often - graze every 2hrs. I try to make sure and get enough.  Staying away from soda & sugar. I don't count calories or get on a scale.  Well, sometime I do the scale, but, I've been the same size for the last 20+ yrs.  I think I'll try and eat even more to see how it helps.

For training I'm trying to take (both) Jeff's advice.  Base miles, base miles, base miles....  I've been trying to read alot more to understand the importance & benefits. You've posted some great advice on this site Sasha. Along with all the other advice I've gotten from others on here.  I just really want to run this marathon in June.  Thanks for looking at my Feb training. It's been a learning process.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: