Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 01:09:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Running and Addiction  (Read 15347 times)
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:58 am »

Addiction, according to Wikipedia:

"The term addiction is also sometimes applied to compulsions that are not substance-related, such as problem gambling and computer addiction. In these kinds of common usages, the term addiction is used to describe a recurring compulsion by an individual to engage in some specific activity, despite harmful consequences to the individual's health, mental state or social life."
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 09:10:05 am »

I would say running is a compulsion. I have to do it to feel good about myself despite potential harmful effects.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 10:52:38 am »

Interesting discussion.  Activities in one's life have to be prioritized, such as running, work, time with family, chores, etc...I think that running, just like any other activity, has to figure in to a balance of sorts.  I think most runners can balance family life and running quite well!  As a busy mother, I know that in order to take care of my family I have to take care of myself, and the benefits of my daily run aren't only to my physical health, but too my mental and spiritual health as well--giving me a little quite solitude time to reflect, etc.. I think running would only be harmful if a person used it for a purpose it was never intended for.  Examples of this would be an anorexic who runs constantly and eats next to nothing and is severely damaging her/his health.  In this case running is not the addiction, but rather the underlying issues leading to anorexia are the causes of the compulsion.  Another example would be a runner who is spending excessive amounts of money on gear, etc... while the kids are sitting at home with nothing to eat(this is pretty extreme and highly unlikely I know!)  In this case, once again, running being an addiction is not the problem.  The problem is that the individual has failed to properly balance their life and activities.  Running is an activity the body gets used to, so if you miss your run I can understand why you might feel sluggish, unwell, etc...the body has missed its usual activity.  As far as the spiritual and mental side--I do feel like I have lost out on some time of peace/reflection when I can't run.  I am also interested in getting into great shape and seeing how fast I can push my body--so when I'm injured and can't run I am definitely frustrated!  I think that is just a normal feeling stemming from a desire for a favorite activity to go smoothly, without bumps in the road! 
seesuerun
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 08:20:09 pm »

I run to support my chocolate addiction. Does that count? I eat chocolate and run it off Smiley Then I eat more and I run it off Smiley With out it, my chocolate addiction would turn me into a blob.
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 04:58:53 pm »

I run as part of a multi-pronged effort to silence the voices in my head telling me to kill the Prime Minister of Malaysia.  It seems to be working but for some reason everytime I hear "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood I know Kung Fu and I start break dance fighting.  Plus running keeps me fit- so I figure its a 'win' no matter how you look at it. 
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 07:13:30 pm »

Not sure I understand where Neil is going, but I am totally in Sue's camp Smiley  I have for years run just to be able to eat chocolate and stay in decent shape.  Only recently has great quantities of running actually diminished my desire for chocolate, at least in the quantities I might otherwise indulge in.  Running has gradually decreased my appetite for bad stuff.
Josse

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 11:12:18 pm »

Then drinking water is an addiction as well. Try going without - you'll have withdrawal symptoms in a few hours. Sleep would be an addiction as well. Severe withdrawal symptoms in 24 hours. The worst one is breathing air. It takes only a minute for the withdrawal symptoms to become problematic.
Sasha that is completely absurd!  Your body doesn't crave these things it need them to survive.  Your body doesn't need excessive running to survive.  As much as you want to say and believe (which is what an addict will do) running can be an a addiction.  BTW everyone there was a topic on this about a year ago, I took the same stance then and Sasha took his same stance.   We all have addictions and I am glad mine helps me stay sane without harmful drug, although I am beginning to think that the injuries are pretty damaging.  Like other addictions running can and does get out of control, where it is all we think about and can't wait for that next run.  I tell myself along with most of you that this is alright.  When I know deep down I have to maintain balance inorder for my life and family to be happy.   This is hard to do, esp. when you are striving to reach goals.  The only way to get better is to run more, or is it.  Do we break our selves down to much form being obsessive?  I do think running  can be an addiction.  The key is balance as with every thing in life.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:15:48 pm by Josse » Logged
adam

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 12:41:18 pm »

word.
Jeffrey McClellan
Lurker

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 12:43:24 pm »

For those of you that are confused, I think that Neil is referencing the movie Zoolander.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 12:59:00 pm »

Josse:

Depends on the definition of "survive". Physical activity, and running in particular in some form, is a part of a healthy natural life-style. Children run until you teach them to sit in school for hours. Eventually they their rear end accumulates more cushion and they feel more inclined to sit. But that is unnatural. You can change things from a natural to an unnatural state with physical activity more easily than you can with breathing. But the end result is essentially the same - reduced quality of life and premature death.
Josse

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:02 pm »

I said excessive running.  Don't get me wrong I do believe that exercise is important for the body to function properly, but when done in excess it can be harmful as well as any other addiction that get out of control.  I am sure people who start any type of excessive behavior does not intend it to get our of control.  We all think we have the capability to keep things balanced.  And some how they just get out of control.  We find ourselves 50 pound over weight or on the other end running way to much that it is breaking our body down.  We begin to justify cutting out things like sleep to get more miles in, if we really take a look we can see other effect it has on our personal life.    I love to run a lot of miles but when ever I do, and I think I am doing it smart, my body eventually breaks down.   Now why can't I just take a break once in a while, a good 6 weeks with no running, do other forms of exercise.  Because I am addicted to it.  I become depressed and have withdrawl symptoms.  As I would guess the majority of you out there do.  Maybe you don't experience this but I highly dought it.  Other wise you would take random break from running as well.
(I knew I shouldn't have opened my mouth Roll Eyes
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 01:38:20 pm »

I almost always take an annual 1-3 month break and enjoy it.  I actually don't miss running too much during it- I enjoy more sleep, more family time, more free time, more football time.  Plus I am sometimes burnt out and/or injured when I start my break.  No depression.  Just some weight gain.
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »

For those of you that are confused, I think that Neil is referencing the movie Zoolander.

You complete me.   Wink
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 02:35:21 pm »

Most non-runners will consider 50 miles a week excessive. I consider it survival minimum. Sacrificing sleep to run more miles is unhealthy and counter-productive. However, few people have schedules so busy that cannot be re-arranged to run 50 miles a week. "Sacrificing" TV or videogaming time to run more miles is very healthy. Going to bed earlier so you could get up earlier to run more miles is very healthy as well.
Josse

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 02:52:43 pm »

Good for you Jon.  We should all follow your example.  For the record I am completely ok with being addicted to running Smiley
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:57:30 pm by Josse » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: