Fast Running Blog
June 22, 2024, 04:34:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To Run or Not To Run  (Read 2605 times)
Royce
Lurker

« on: August 26, 2010, 01:54:05 pm »

Today my schedual says to run 6 miles with some segments of speed included.  This is the issue, last night I had some weird insomnia thing going on and only slept for 3 hours, I don't know why.  I was exhausted from the 116 degree day, all the stuff I had to do and my run that evening left me extremly dehydrated which I tried to fix by drinking tons of fluids, but in the end was to tired to eat and went to bed but not to sleep!
I really hate to miss a work out or run.  Today I am working a 12 hour shift in an E.R. that is located in an area which is several thousand feet higher than where I live and usually run.  My plan is to get off work put my shoes on and head out for my run.
Its cooler up here and just the most beautiful place in the world.
Does anyone have any opinion wether it would do more damage to run or if I should let it go and get a good nights sleep tonight? Or should I just shut up and run!
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »

There is always something else to do besides run!   Don't worry about the skipped workout, but if you are up to it, take an easy run this evening after your shift to get you prep for a good night sleep!  If you are too wiped, again don't worry and catch some zzz's.  As long as you don't try to overdo it, I don't think you will "damage" yourself either way.
Royce
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:05 am »

Ok I decided to just run last night, and it was beautiful.  I was at about 4000 ft. elevation and the sun was just going down, with all the tall pine trees and fresh cool air, I am so glad I ran.  Felt so good I ran an additional 3 miles at MP. Didnt get home till 11 pm. feel a little groggy this am, but well worth it.
I think the lesson is if there is any question to run or not, just run if it dose'nt feel good you can always stop early but I suspect most runners will discover its better to run than not to.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 10:08:37 am »

Here's how I approach this sort of thing.

I really love running and my day generally feels incomplete without running. I almost always feel like running and am usually able to get myself up mentally and physically for a demanding run.

But I also believe in listening to my body. On the rare occasions when I just don't feel like running I feel strongly that it's my body trying to tell me something. So I do some cross training. Or maybe skip the run all together and have a glass of wine with my wife or a bowl of ice cream.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: