Fast Running Blog
May 15, 2024, 04:00:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Letting cars know they need look out for runners!  (Read 16325 times)
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 11:46:02 am »

I've enjoyed reading some of these different posts.  I usually try to run behind the cars at intersections, especially if they are not paying attention.  I guess in all my years running, I've probably hit a car or two and probably said a word or two I shouldn't have to drivers.  It is interesting now that I am teaching drivers education, I try to make sure my students understand how to watch out for runners!
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 01:45:25 pm »

Ok, I have to admit to some not so cool reactions as well. In fact in Singapore I used to slap the side of cars fairly frequently bcause it was so bad. In once case I actually jumped on the hood of a car and ran across it to the other side (it was a very small car). Not the best way to make friends and influence people. I do have to say that Utah has actually been very good compared to most other places I have lived. In the South (especially Alabama) it was not uncommon to get rude statements shouted and have cars swerve at you on a frequent basis. The two worst cases I remember were a truck swerving off the road and then opening it's door in an attempt to hit me as it went by and on one occasion a guy letting his dog loose and encouraging him to chase me down. He just thought that was hilarious. When I know it is out of ignorance or just not paying much attention it really does not bother me. It is when it happens and it is intentional that it is hard to ignore. However, I have calmed down a bit the last several years and cannot recal my last bad encounter.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 01:51:04 pm »

I forgot to mention I am good for a couple of "Run Forrest, Run" comments from someone hanging out a car window every month.  Too bad I do not have the speed and endurance he had.

Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 06:07:43 pm »

Well, I'm happy to say that of late, almost all the drivers I've encountered have been really courteous. It's just those few idiots who ruin all the good drivers' reputation. Just looking at the bright side of life or something....
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 06:33:22 pm »

On both my run today and the one last Monday, I acctually had someone see me coming up to an intersection and BACK UP to let me go in front of them.  I run in St George, and have had very few close calls so far.  One of my worst though, was running the marthon route while training.  Nothing has scared me as much as someone coming a little to close while going 60+ MPH!
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 10:41:16 pm »

I have had similar experiences with cars actually backing up, and every time I do, I am infused with relief to know that there are still courteous drivers on the road.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 09:48:59 am »

It actually kind of throws me off if a car backs up or stops so that I can cross. It's freaky.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 11:20:15 am »

While I was running yesterday, I ran behind a truck that was waiting to turn and he decided to back up just as I was running by. 
wildbull
Lurker

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 02:58:32 pm »

I take out my loaded 45 and and gently aim and squeeze the trigger.    No one  runs over  the wildbull.  There is blood on every street in saint george.  Men grown,woman scream, children cry when they pass the wildbull!   
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 03:22:58 pm »

And to think that I just read yesterday that Logan and St. George were both on the top 10 list nationwide of best and safest cities.   Looks like wildbull just ruined that one by himself.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 07:38:59 am »

Jon, the bull has ruined many a good city!
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007, 08:38:56 pm »

Food for thought. I did a little survey today during my run. I was running up Sunnyside near the Zoo (a four lane road with hardly any traffic). 19 cars total passed me. In all cases they were driving in the right lane though the left lane was empty. I waved to all cars about 20ft out. Here’s the breakdown of the experiment.

10 of the cars were driven by men, 7 of these moved over. One of the cars that did not move over was driven by a man that must have been over 80, had his handicap sticker, and I’m pretty sure did not even see me at all (a little scary). Only one of these guys was on the phone and he moved over. 4 of the seven men that moved over waved back.

9 of the cars were driven by women, only 2 of these moved over. 7 of the women were talking on the phone and none of the women waved back.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: