Fast Running Blog
May 21, 2024, 07:37:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston anyone?  (Read 9462 times)
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 11:26:12 am »

I like experience, but since you experience things subjectively, I am perfectly happy to experience Boston by running a local Utah marathon, then plugging in a range of times I could have run in Boston based on that, and saying to myself, yes, you could have made top 75 (or maybe even top 50 on a good day). What I enjoy in particular about running Boston virtually is that my kids have something to eat once it's over, when a household appliance breaks down we have money to fix it, and all that while the Fast Running Mommy can stay home and take care of the kids. I suppose you can say I have a simple mind.
Money can be saved for the purpose of going on a trip.  Maybe it would be fun for you and your spouse to go without kiddies for a fun getaway.
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 11:32:31 am »

People shouldn't be discouraged from doing something just because you wouldn't do it.  Especially while they are not breaking any laws and commandments.  True, it may not be the most efficient use of funds in an attempt to benefit the blog, but I don't think that is the point.  The idea is many people are interested in running a Big race like Boston/New York and do so with people they care about (Fellow Bloggers).  As a side-effect of many bloggers running the race, the blog is exposed, but the main goal remains the same (Run a cool race with many cool friends).
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 02:02:11 pm »

I agree.  I don't think many bloggers try to run or "spend in a way that financially benefits the blog."  Granted, we spend money as bloggers and hopefully that benefits the people we know.  Just like running in general, we run for the sake of running, not because it is related to finance in any way.  Same with Boston- I enjoyed my Boston experience a few years ago even though I had a horrible race.  And my wife absolutely loved the vacation- it was one of her favorites ever!  We wouldn't run Boston to promote the blog- we would run it for the sake of running Boston.  Having a large FRB group with singlets would just be an added and enjoyable benefit.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 03:29:12 pm »

Which is exactly why I would not make a big deal about the blog going to Boston this way :-) The blog is not going to Boston, you are. I do not want anybody to think that I want them to spend $1000 on a trip to support the blog or feel obligated or encouraged to do so in any way. I do encourage people to qualify for Boston, though. But once they've qualified, I'd much rather seem them save their money for something else that they will probably need more in the future than a trip to Boston and place in the top 50 of a local marathon instead. Unless, of course, they are set for life as far as money is concerned, and feel very secure in their financial future. Which I highly doubt is the case for most bloggers.

I wish we had better commonly acknowledge standards of fitness than just a BQ and an OTQ that do not imply that you have to go somewhere to prove that you've accomplished something. Somewhat similar to what they have in Russia. There is a standard applied to all sports, and you get a ranking based on your performance. They have the following rankings: 3rd, 2nd, 1st, master of sports candidate, master of sports, international master of sports, and merited master of sports. What is nice is that this allows you to compare how well you do in different sports, and when you talk to somebody, regardless of what sport you are in, when you tell them your ranking they have a decent idea of what you have accomplished. For example, when I told my dad that I got a master of sports candidate, he immediately understood the significance of this even though he hardly knows anything about running. He said: "I did not think my son could do that" One of the greatest compliments I have ever heard because I knew he understood.  Contrast this with in response to the same performance: "What? You qualified for Boston? My neighbor who I see running all the time has been trying to do this for years!" Or, if you qualify for the trials, "What are the trials?" or "Are you going to the Olympics?"

So for example the standards are (for guys):

3rd degree - to finish a marathon, 1:21 half, 38:00 10 K, 17:45 5 K
2nd degree - 2:50 marathon, 1:15 half, 34:40 10 K, 16:35 5 K
1st degree - 2:37 marathon, 1:11:30 half, 32:30 5 K, 15:30 5 K
candidate - 2:28 marathon, 1:08:30 half, 30:35 10 K, 14:40 5 K
master - 2:20 marathon, 1:05:30 half, 29:25 10 K, 14:00 5 K
international master - 2:13 marathon,  1:02:30 half, 28:06 10 K, 13:25 5 K

To get a merited master you need to win something serious, like a world championship or the Olympics and do it more than once.

The standards are based on the percentages of the people reaching the norm, I believe, or at least somewhat correlated. You can tell that the longer the distances get the easier the standards become. I suppose this is due to heavy drinking in the general population which spills into runners as well. It is hard to run a good marathon with a trashed liver. But while the standards may have a glitch or two, at least they have a nationally acknowledged and general population understood standard that one can achieve.

Maybe in that spirit we should create our own FRB standards, and start promoting them in every way we can. Eventually that may result in a wider adoption of some meaningful standard on a wider scale. Suggestions are welcome.

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 04:05:03 pm »

Which is exactly why I would not make a big deal about the blog going to Boston this way :-) The blog is not going to Boston, you are. I do not want anybody to think that I want them to spend $1000 on a trip to support the blog or feel obligated or encouraged to do so in any way. I do encourage people to qualify for Boston, though. But once they've qualified, I'd much rather seem them save their money for something else that they will probably need more in the future than a trip to Boston and place in the top 50 of a local marathon instead. Unless, of course, they are set for life as far as money is concerned, and feel very secure in their financial future. Which I highly doubt is the case for most bloggers.

I think we understand that the blog is not going to Boston, but that a group of friends who all happen to be FRB'ers are- no obligations, just for fun!  All are welcome.

As for the idea that we need something more than Boston- it is an individual choice.  I certainly think we all need to be wise with our money, but I believe money does not exist for the sake of money or for endless saving.  Money should be used for our needs and wants, present and future.  Personally, I love traveling and would rather spend money now to experience things such as running Boston, backpacking in New Zealand, touring Europe, camping in our national parks, hiking in Hawaii, etc. rather than sitting at home until I am old and feel very financially secure.  I have done all of those and am very, very glad I did- they are a part of who I am today.  I think we should encourage people to similarly enlighten their lives, especially in running-related ways.  I think basing a vacation around a run is great!

Anyone want to run the Great Wall of China marathon or Mt. Kilimanjaro marathon with me?

Michelle Lowry

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 04:25:19 pm »

I've loved this thread!  I would hope Sasha would remain neutral to the idea if people do decide to go to Boston (not campaign against it Smiley ).  I would love to target 2010 for Boston, especially if I can go with friends and have a once in a life-time experience in the process. 
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 04:58:17 pm »

Anyone want to run the Great Wall of China marathon or Mt. Kilimanjaro marathon with me?

I'll go, but it will be a few years. That is a much bigger expense than just going to Boston.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 05:06:20 pm »

Yeah, that is my dilemma, too.  But it would be awesome!  Maybe someday...
jtshad

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2008, 07:07:36 am »

I totally agree with you Jon.  Boston was a fantastic experience for me, one that most runners would thoroughly enjoy and should try sometime just for the experience.  Personally, it was as rewarding as winning my marathon.  This community of runners is just that, a community of friends I would even say, that can trace their commonality back to a love of running and a connection through the Blog.  If this group of friends want to spent their hard earned $ to share a wonderful experience at Boston and we just happen to wear the same shirt, why not?  We could all just go and not wear the Blog shirt and have just as good of a time.

Jon, I have a friend who did Antarctica last year, how about that as an adventure?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: