Fast Running Blog
June 25, 2024, 01:14:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston anyone?  (Read 10088 times)
Dallen
Posting Member

« on: June 11, 2008, 06:38:53 pm »

Sasha keeps talking about World Domination and getting the word out about our little blog. World domination does not occur by placing 20 of the top 30 at the St George Marathon of some other local race.

Maybe would think big? I suggest Boston.

Why? Boston is prestigious, Boston is big, and Boston is not really all that competitive. With a little effort we could probably place 10 runners in the top 100 (about 2:35) and 20 in the top 200 (2:40-2:42).  We don't have the talent for the podium, but 1 million spectators would definately notice that 10% of the fastest runners were wearing the same strange jersey. WEe'd likely get some local press, or maybe even some better publicity. And, it would be lots of fun.

As side benefits we could test our skills on a relatively fast, but fair course. It is one of the biggest races out there not on a Sunday. It's in the spring so it won't interfare with everyone's favorite fall marathon.

Any takers?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:35:59 pm »

My thoughts are to wait until we can take 5 places in top 25. Otherwise the publicity will be worth  the cost. Also, top guys would be able to get comp/hotel/air fare. I'd much rather storm Boston than Twin Cities. One reason being that Twin Cities is a Sunday race, and I will not encourage anyone to run on Sunday. But also for reasons mentioned by Dallen. More spectators. Most non-runners have at least heard of the Boston marathon. Not many have heard of Twin Cities.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 09:50:36 pm »

I think we should get a good group to go in the next year or two.  I know there was some talk a while ago about 2010.  Boston is a great experience and I would love to train hard and see what I could do along with others.  I would be a blast!
jtshad

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:00:44 am »

Hopefully the FRB will be well represented this year at TCM with Logan and Seth in the US Marathon Championships and me in the US Master's Marathon Championships. 
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:56:27 am »

My thoughts are to wait until we can take 5 places in top 25.

Also, top guys would be able to get comp/hotel/air fare.

According to the top runners board, we have 9 runners with a 2:25 (top 25 at boston) equivalent PR. I don't really trust those numbers, but we do have at least 5 guys whe could do legitimately do it.

I've never tried to get a comped entry, but I doubt that the Boston marathon is interested in paying travel expenses for people who run 2:18-2:22 St George marathons.

My thoughts are that there are probably enough of us out there that already have an interest in running Boston, but would be more likely to do so if other team member had the same plan.

Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:41:57 pm »

I would definitely train hard and be up for it.  I want to go back to Boston anyway.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:12:15 pm »

I imagine they would pay travel expenses for sub-2:19 record eligible course American. And we have guys that have the speed for this, just not yet enough endurance. And we keep adding people too.
jtshad

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:31:54 pm »

Boston with a large group of friends and running partners would be a blast, no matter if you get comped or not.  Just make sure we pick a good weather year!   Smiley
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 03:10:45 pm »

I think part of what Dallen is suggesting is to run the marathon without comps- I think very few bloggers would dream of getting any sort of race fee or travel comp at Boston.  But I know there are a lot who would love the run the race at least once in their life.  So you coordinate ahead of time so everyone does it in the same year- maybe 2010.  I bet you could get at least 20 bloggers.
James Winzenz

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 04:13:12 pm »

Having a big FRB contingent go up to Boston (no comps) would at least be a start, and for sure would attract some attention - especially if we have fairly large groups of people running together.  I have always wanted to do Boston myself - depending on how well I do this year at SGM, I may be able to convince Lybi to let me do it.  I don't think I could handle waiting until she gets a BQ . . . not that she couldn't, just that I don't know how long that will be, or if she will ever decide to run a marathon.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:38:28 pm »

20 bloggers going to Boston means $20,000 spent on travel and neither FRB nor St. George Running Center, nor MarathonGIS,  gets to see any of it in any form (speaking for FRB, our web ad revenues do not make that much especially with the market now going down) while the bloggers have less money to spend in a way that financially benefits the blog. To go to Boston like this just to promote the blog is rather wasteful. If that money was redirected to the blog, for $20K I could hire a programmer to add a whole bunch of features and a web designer to fix the looks, and we would be able to attract a lot more bloggers achieving a much greater growth than we would have by parading our way through the streets of Boston in FRB uniform.

While we are on the subject of finances. The blog has one positive aspect - other than time, our operating expenses are pretty much zero. The revenue is around couple hundred bucks a month. Which can pay for the gas of the FRB vans in a relay, and offer a few perks to the team members. But that is about how far it goes. I want it to go further. I need to figure out a reasonable revenue model. We have fairly decent traffic - 4700 uniques a month with over 200 K page impressions and growing. Decent search engine rankings. How to convert this into something better than what Google Adsense offers?

Some thoughts I had:

* Paid online coaching. The plus is that we are doing it already without being paid. The minus is that it takes manpower. I was thinking of offering some kind of a plan where a blogger will get guaranteed visits from a team member. Question is how much to charge, and how to split the revenue.

* Our click through and product purchase rates are terrible. I suppose that is actually good all things considered. Shows that people that visit the site want to stay and are not impulsive buyers. So we do not offer a lot of value to the majority of AdSense advertisers. However, if we found an advertiser that was willing to pay just for brand name exposure to the target group, this would improve things quite a bit. At $5 CPM this would bring $1000 a month. How can we find such an advertiser?

* Any other ideas?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:53:25 pm »

* Any other ideas?

Seems like the the bigger running sites have paid monthly sponsors for their banner ads. If you can get beyond Google and get some small running-related company to directly pay you a few hundred bucks a month, that might be a start. I don't know what sort of traffic you need to get paid ads, but it's just a thought. If you want, I could put you in contact with a guy who's built a big running site from the ground up. He'd probably have some ideas.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 07:02:44 am »

20 bloggers going to Boston means $20,000 spent on travel and neither FRB nor St. George Running Center, nor MarathonGIS,  gets to see any of it in any form while the bloggers have less money to spend in a way that financially benefits the blog.

Running Boston is not about the money. 98% of us are not interested in getting comped entries, free travel or prize money. We just want to enjoy our running experience. Going to Boston as a team would be a great experience. Much better than going individually. It could also be cheaper by sharing on expenses.

As for making money for the blog, we just need more bloggers. Especially female bloggers who read more blogs.

Are the search engines finding our individual entries? Much of the traffic to my old blog was accidental by people googling terms that I might have used. Most of the people quickly left, but some people actually came back.

Another idea: can we find a way to get some exposure in our favorite magazine Runnersworld. They might be interested in a small piece about us. We are rather unique. Even a couple paragraphs would be great exposure. I think what Sasha is doing would be a great piece for that little section where the profile "everyday heroes".

FRB yard sale? Just kidding.
Josse

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 07:30:51 am »

I agree with Dallen, Boston is an experience that every marathoner wants to be a part of.  No matter the cost.  And it would be an extra added bonus to go with a bunch of friends.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 10:15:45 am »

I like experience, but since you experience things subjectively, I am perfectly happy to experience Boston by running a local Utah marathon, then plugging in a range of times I could have run in Boston based on that, and saying to myself, yes, you could have made top 75 (or maybe even top 50 on a good day). What I enjoy in particular about running Boston virtually is that my kids have something to eat once it's over, when a household appliance breaks down we have money to fix it, and all that while the Fast Running Mommy can stay home and take care of the kids. I suppose you can say I have a simple mind.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: