Fast Running Blog
May 14, 2024, 06:32:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Goose Egg Image contest  (Read 33490 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »

Dallen, I'm glad to see that you can keep us laughing through this.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2008, 04:58:32 am »

Since I skipped my run on Saturday I went ahead and took the initiative and posted my own goose egg picture on my blog.
http://sz.fastrunningblog.com/

Of course my reasons why, were posted on Friday's blog.

Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2008, 08:35:46 pm »

That is the best idea I've seen yet on this thread. I'm going to find myself a red pitchfork icon for my Sunday runs! And I'm going to find a Pinnochio image with a long nose for the Monday entries where I enter mileage that I really spent out on the trail the previous day (hey- my kids read this). Hilarious!

No hard feelings to Sasha. I actually like the idea of spicing things up with icons and images. I would laugh about a goose egg image on a lazy day, but I think it would create too many problems in general. People saying "Hey wait! I'm hurt! I'm tired. I don't deserve that goose egg! That's not fair... blah blah". I don't see enough of a benefit from it to warrant the headaches.
jtshad

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2008, 08:12:52 pm »

Glad to see this goose egg idea is not happening as I agree with the majority and quite frankly don't want to make the logging any more complicated.  I joined the FRB for the run logging and friendly running community and I would hate to see something that starts turning it negative or too focused on running as an addiction (it already is for me, but that is by choice, not coercion).   

So, that must be why I have headaches, my horns are growing from my Sunday runs!
Josse

« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2008, 01:54:27 pm »

So, that must be why I have headaches, my horns are growing from my Sunday runs!
I thought the headaches were from my running hangovers.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2008, 10:01:36 pm »

New choice under Blog Options:  Enable Goose Egg.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

Chad, You got me. I looked for it. I want the eggs!!!  Cheesy
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2008, 09:41:03 am »

I looked, too.
jtshad

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »

I thought the headaches were from my running hangovers.

Mine are probably just real hangovers.
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2008, 12:39:06 am »

Jon:

There will be a check-box that will say - day off due to injury/planned day of rest. Feel free to suggested a better wording. An runner will check it if the cause of the zero miles for the day is legitimate in his opinion.  It is not there yet.

Adam:

Low mileage is more often than not a consequence of skipping planned workouts for reasons of laziness or poor planning. That is why the blog has been so amazingly effective in helping people shave a good chunk of their PR. True, for some it has helped with better training as in not speeding on their easy runs, not overdoing on speed work, etc. But more often than not it is do your best training 6 days a week instead of 4, and do it throughout the year vs just when the roads are dry.

Also, the mileage alone is not as good of a predictor of what is going to happen with your endurance as the mileage + how many runs you do it in.

Regarding how it will affect the popularity of the blog. Those who will not mind the feature on average will be beating those who do. The ones getting beat will eventually be asking why.

I want the blog to produce fast runners. There is a reason we call it Fast Running Blog vs Finish a Marathon Blog or Average Runner Blog. We help the ones who could barely finish a marathon run a BQ, those who were running BQ run OTQ, those who run OTQ run OQ(not yet, but we hope), we help the average become exceptional. This will not happen unless they get out of their comfort zone. The value of the blog is in providing a framework that encourages the runner to leave the comfort zone of the  less disciplined training.  Discipline is not a very popular world in today's culture, and the statistical distribution of the results of any marathon speaks volumes about it. We could be popular by trying to blend with the average runner's comfort zone, but I find little satisfaction in it. It produces no growth. There is a better way, harder, but better.

I know that I came in late for this whole discussion, but I think that after reading this quote, we should all go to the main homepage and read the description of this site.  Are the two points of view about as completely opposite as you can get?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2008, 10:05:56 am »

Not at all. I wrote both texts. We want to end up with fast runners. We will take slow ones and make them fast.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2008, 11:06:04 am »

I don't believe that your plans for world domination and labeling people as losers via goose-eggs can co-exist. Very few people actually want to the run fast. Hopefully the ones that do will find their way to this site. If you want to make this site exclusive, challenging, and not bend to the norms of the world, that's cool, but you will never make a living off of it. If you actually want to get more ad revenue (or sponsor revenue), you'll need to not isolate the other 99% of the running community.

Even as a faster runner (when not crippled), I would take umbrage to a goose-egg next to my name. I don't need big brother watching over me and scolding me when I don't or can't run.

I know that I personally might not be "running" for a bit because of this prolonged achilles problem... will there be a way to mark days off but then switch them for other days around schedules and when i'm feeling okay or not so hot? I'm a little confused how this goose egg thing works. I know I'd like to run fast, but right now I'd be happy with just being able to run 4-5 days a week pain free..
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:20 am »

Benn - the plan was to allow the blogger to mark days as "scheduled day off", or "off due to injury". However, even then, the vote was against the feature, so I am not going to do it. At least for a while. I might implement it optionally where the user gets to decide if he wants Goose Eggs On or Off, and then after a year publish the improvement data for each group.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 05:57:48 am »

Oh okay. Well I know that if I were healthy again that Goose Eggs would be a deterent from me slacking. Well maybe even with biking and other x-training, I wouldn't like to see many Goose Eggs myself, and I agree that the feature for those with the aggressive "can and will do" attitude, it would definitely reap results.
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2008, 02:28:57 pm »

I agree with Maria: I am someone who would probably benefit from the goose egg.  I can be extremely focused at times (like right now), but, as some of you probably noticed, I stopped running almost completely after a bad performance in a marathon this past January because I was so discouraged.  And then I just got lazy.  I did get a few check-ins every once in a while, but they weren't enough to bring me back. 
Now I am right back to where I was when I started blogging about 9 months ago.  I lost most of the fitness I had built up just from a zap in motivation, and it will take me that much longer to reach my BQ goal.  Obviously this kind of inconsistency is what the blog preaches against.  A goose-egg when my motivation is lagging would give me a good kick in the butt.
I am generally hard on myself, so I don't mind when other people (or computer-generated images) are hard on me too, if it helps me get better.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: