Fast Running Blog
June 02, 2024, 01:14:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite marathon  (Read 4873 times)
Toby Barlow
Lurker

« on: April 27, 2010, 08:53:18 pm »

What is your favorite marathon to run in the US ?  I'm looking at doing my first 26.2 soon and want to pick a good one!  I'm totally up for traveling outside of Utah.

Thanks!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 08:57:07 pm »

If you like trails, then Mid Mountain marathon in Park City is a very good one.  Of all the road marathons I've done, I like Top of Utah the best (but I'm biased cause I live in Logan).
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:25:17 pm »

It depends on the type of marathon you are looking for.  If you want a small, local race with maybe a couple thousand people, Jacksonville has a nice one and so does Tampa (although this may have been the last year for it).  If you are looking for a big race, with a great expo, the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll marathon is a good one and so is the New York City marathon.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:00 pm »

If you really want to travel, I've heard good things about the Maui and Big Sur marathons.
Tony
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 01:57:41 am »

Set a goal for qualifying for Boston, that's the best!

I ran the Wine Country Marathon in Healdsburg, Ca last October and plan on doing it again. It's through beautiful dry creek valley. Very little crowd support, but it's a great landscape to run. Roads are slanted in a lot of places though, so it will leave your ankles a little bruised. And if you like wine, well, you'll be in one of the best places on Earth for it.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »

Yes indeed!  Boston was amazing!!

I have heard great things about the Pocatello Idaho marathon.  It is fast and small, two great things!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:45:13 pm »

My two local favorites are Utah Valley and Top of Utah.
Burt McCumber
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 07:38:47 pm »

I don't have a favorite.  They're painful.
Jason McK
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 02:37:08 pm »

Bear Lake is very small in a nice setting, but Ogden is my favorite of the 4 venues I've run (including Top of Utah - where I live).
TrophyHunter
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 02:48:51 pm »

Ridge to Bridge in North Carolina is a great race.  The first half is fast, the setting is awesome, and the race has just the right amount of people.
Jeffrey Lindy
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:32 am »

Boston is incredible, because it's wall to wall cheering people, the entire way. None of the others I've done (Baltimore, Philly, Miami) are anywhere close.

My favorite non-Boston marathon is the Quebec XC trail ultra. Much more interesting than 26.2 miles of streets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: