Fast Running Blog
June 28, 2024, 01:23:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: TOU prize money increase for 2009  (Read 10504 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: February 27, 2009, 11:17:49 am »

Here's one way to stay relevant to top-tier runners when downhill marathons are no longer OTQ-eligible: increase your prize money. I just received the Top of Utah Marathon flier in the mail yesterday, and was surprised to see an increase of prize quantity and depth:

1. $1500
2. $1000
3. $750
4. $350
5. $250

Or something like that. I actually forget the exact numbers, other than 1st is $1500 and money goes 5 deep instead of 3 deep. This is surprising to me, given the economic landscape. But on the other hand, most race directors I've talked to have told me that registration numbers are not down due to the economy. Perhaps the running industry is "recession-proof", in that it's cheap to do, and people who do it have it in their blood, and won't ever quit. It's not a luxury, but a necessity for most of us.  Cheesy

Anyway, I wonder if TOU will receive is boost in not only top-end runners, but also in depth? In the past, 5th place is usually in the 2:40 to sub-2:40 range, so perhaps a flood of 2:35-2:40 guys will start running TOU instead of St. George in hopes of stealing some cash. Who knows?

But the real question is when will St. George get their act together and start offering cash prizes?

Discuss.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:24 am »

That is a very positive development. I have always had high respect for the TOU race directors. They do not have huge corporate sponsors or anything like that, and yet they are able to reward a good performance better than anybody else in the state.

As far as increasing the level of competition - it is hard to tell. Could go up, could stay the same for a while.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:00:34 pm »

As far as increasing the level of competition - it is hard to tell. Could go up, could stay the same for a while.

Maybe 2009 will be a good year for cherry-picking?  Wink
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:28:23 pm »

It sure would be nice if St. George would offer more in terms of prize money.  I really don't understand it, seems like St. George is such a big marathon, I'm sure they are making a pretty good profit off of the marathon. More prize money would really help bring in more elite runners and make the race more appealing on the national scene.
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:50:10 pm »

I was actually already leaning toward doing TOU as my peak fall marathon.  It being my home course and all.  Besides, I have done SGM two years in a row with last year still leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  I "may" have an outside chance at some money now to boot...
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 01:41:01 pm »

I've never done TOU, but may think about it at some point.  Last year was such a disappoint for me running St. George I would really like to run a decent time there this year and then maybe be done with the course for a few years.  I think some of us are thinking about going out to Boston again next year, which is something I would like to do again.  Cody I'll be interested to here how your Colorado Marathon goes.  I wouldn't mind doing a marathon in Colorado since that is where I grew up running.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:35:12 am »

St. George will NEVER give prize money - (unless it is for the $1 mill world record time - right Haydo!) - although the race is very well organized and there are a couple people who now work on it that actually are runners (okay, maybe just one), when it all comes down to it SGM thinks it can survive forever on its rep and beauty alone, caring mostly about the weekend warrior and not the next levels - which is very possibly true.  But they will NEVER give prize money... NEVER!

Speaking of prize money - is Utah Valley offering a top prize this year?  I think I remember talk of it going three deep this year...?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:58:54 am »

Speaking of prize money - is Utah Valley offering a top prize this year?  I think I remember talk of it going three deep this year...?

I looked on their website the other day. It does go 3 deep, something like $750, $500, $250.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 02:33:31 pm »

It also moved to June this year, and was well run last year despite a few problems and not having much to do it off of. So this year I'd expect even better things. Even Miss Utah ran it (3:24).

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »

Didn't Miss Utah also run Des News recently? The full marathon should definitely be an event for Miss America pageants. Could you imagine?  Cheesy
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 03:37:21 pm »

I think so, and she was the first female at the first Afghanistan marathon, too. She's Army Strong.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 06:48:15 pm »

Does this make TOU the biggest money race in all of Utah now?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 07:22:56 pm »

As of last year, SLC Marathon gave $5000 to first place.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 08:50:30 pm »

also, DesNews marathon gives 2000 plus the year; last year $2008 for first place. who knows if that will hold for this year. that race seems to be getting smaller every year.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 06:11:54 pm »

SLC marathon website has just been updated with this year's prize purse (beware: BUDGET CUTS)

1 - $2,500
2 - $1,500
3 - $500
4 - $250
5 - $100

plus a $2,500 bonus for a 2:15 (male) and 2:30 (female)

looks like the days of 5 grand are over.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: