Fast Running Blog
June 28, 2024, 01:09:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre Race Grub  (Read 4652 times)
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« on: June 12, 2008, 01:16:06 pm »

What are the best food choices for the day or two before a race?

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:21:27 pm »

A mixture of higher amount of carbs and good quality proteins in a form that you have eating before (don't try anything really new, you don't know how your system will respond).  That is why pasta with different types of sauces are so popular.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:23:05 pm »

Varies a lot from individual to individual. Watch what you eat and how it affects your ability to run in the next few days, and make a decision based on that.

I do not eat anything different other than eating a very light dinner before a marathon to avoid bathroom stops during the race.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:03:17 pm »

Personally, I prefer rice over pasta- easier on my system.  Plus no greasy tomato sauce on top.  Of course, I lived on rice for 2 years so I am biased.
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:07:43 pm »

So the basic jist is, some carbs (pasta/rice), simple protein, nice light, no greasy stuff and nothing new that might give you the runs, and I don't mean the kind that make you win the race Wink

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 03:15:51 pm »

Then again, I know some people who swear carbs mess them up the day before.  They carbo load ahead of time, but eat steaks and ice cream the last day.  Not many people do this, but I have heard of a few.
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 03:22:55 pm »

REEEly-  I like that advice!  I am all over steak and Ice cream!  (I'll have to try that next week before a "very-close-to-home" long run =)

Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:36 pm »

I don't know about everyone else, but I find that having dairy before running a race is not good on my stomach. I think that the most important thing before a race is making sure that you are hydrated, because your body doesn't function right if it doesn't have enough water.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 12:04:24 pm »

Carbs are important like top choices  of (Bagels, Pasta, Potatoes, Yummy rice, Oatmeal, and fruits) and you also really need to be well hydrated.
Nick Miller
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:26:34 pm »

I always eat ice cream the night before a race...mmm tasty:)
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »

I think that ice cream would be the last thing that I would consider eating before a race. I've actually had one of my teammates who was foolish enough have ice cream 5 minutes before a race. He was passed by my team at the 1.5 mile mark on the ground throwing up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: