Fast Running Blog
June 30, 2024, 11:32:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it better to run slowly or cross-train hard?  (Read 3366 times)
Cheryl Keith
Lurker

« on: June 13, 2008, 08:17:19 pm »

Suppose you've had a few big running days in a row and you're thinking you need to take it easy because you are afraid of overdoing it because of the possibility of injuries.  You still have enough energy to do some sort of good workout.  Would it be better for your running fitness to just run slow and very easy, keeping the heartrate around 50-60% of maximum or would it be better to do some sort of cross-training activity where you can work hard and get your heart rate up and really get in a good aerobic workout?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:21:21 pm »

Generally, if you are training as a runner with runner goals, you would be better off running more.  That includes having very easy running days.  If you are going for aerobic fitness only, the cross training would push you more.  However, I do not think that you can push your body with hard workouts every day, even if they are in different areas (i.e. running one day, cross training the next day).  Eventually, you will fatigue and get hurt/sick/burn-out or at least you won't be able to work as hard on your hard running days because you never allow your body to recover.  Recovery days are necessary.  Aerobic workouts aren't like weight lifting, where you can completely focus on one set of muscles one day and focus on another set the next day, pushing hard both days.

Bottom line- if you are training for running, run everyday.  Even on your easy days- it's very good to have easy days where you are running 1-2 minutes/mile slower than your other days.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 04:05:30 pm »

I agree with Jon. Especially for an older runner. Cardio is not as much of a limit as the nervous system. Hard workouts in any area overload the nervous system. That does put a cap on how often you can push productively, but the good news is that jogging for a long time develops and maintains your cardio fitness just as well as running hard for the same distance.
Cheryl Keith
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 04:24:34 pm »

Thank you for the responses.  Do you think cross-training is ever good, or should you just run slowly when you have the choice?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

Cross train when you cannot run (ie - are injured, or recovering from a marathon). Jack Daniels says that the general purpose of cross training is to help you run more. In other words, if the cross training helps keep your ancillary muscles strong, helps keep you flexible, and thus helps keep you injury-free, then by all means do it. But the ultimate purpose of such cross training is to help your body handle the running.

Another reason to cross train is if you enjoy the activity. For example, if you like XC skiing, then try to ski a lot! If you like bicycling or swimming, then pursue those activities as well. But in terms of pure running performance, you will get the most "bang for your buck" by spending that time running instead. From a balanced life perspective, though, you will want to pursue your hobbies as well, so there's give and take for every individual.
Maria Imas
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 06:20:25 pm »

I agree with Paul. I was going to post a similar response but he beat me to it while I was reading. If you want to improve perfomance and are not injured, running is better. But if you enjoy one particular form of cross training, and find that running all the time kind of burns you out mentally, you'll benefit from cross training once in a while. So it depends on what's important to you.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:17:51 pm »

It sort of goes along with the phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." if you aren't injured, then why do you need to cross train? It helps your body recover more if you do easy running for sure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: