Fast Running Blog
June 30, 2024, 10:35:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running with pain  (Read 3195 times)
Brian
Lurker

« on: March 20, 2008, 12:11:14 pm »

I really need some advice....Since January, I have increased my weekly mileage from 40 to 70. I have seen some very good improvements in my endurance during long runs and my overall pace. The problem I have is that I developed considerable pain in my adductor muscles...I believe that is what they are called. The pain starts in the very lower abdominal area  into the inner thighs on both legs. When I start to run the pain is severe, but seems to almost dissappear after about .50 miles....which is why I keep running! Will this go away over time, or do I have to ease off or stop running for some time. I have my sites on running a marathon in May....my first!...so I need to deal with this. Any suggestions would be welcome....Thanks.            Brian.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 12:26:06 pm »

When I advise people when they are running with a developing injury is you have to just listen to your body very, very closely.  I too have increased my mileage like you have over the last few months and feel little twinges here and there, being a massage therapist I jump on them right away.  I am a big believer in self care.  I use a Gua sha tool to scrape my legs a couple of time a week, this I believe has really allowed me to run the mileage I am without injury.  You can get a tool with instructions at www.guashaorthopedic.com.  
Ice after all your runs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 12:28:27 pm by Josse » Logged
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:35:30 pm »

I'd say it's a good sign that the pain recedes after you've warmed up but a bad sign that you'd classify it as considerable.  I find those muscles are the ones that complain the loudest for me personally whenever I push total mileage, pace, etc. so I've taken to working them specifically for strengthening 3 times/week.  This, of course, was a lesson I learned *after* not listening to my body and straining muscles badly enough that it took a few weeks completely off and another few months of PT to get back to my starting point.
My advice would be to be very careful if you do keep running.  At the very least you probably want to back off the mileage/intensity to see if the considerable pain starts fading.  If it does, I'd add some strengthening to my routine and build back up. 
It is *always* better to back off for a few days rather than losing months trying to rehab an injury!
Just my two cents...
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:38:40 pm »

Brian,
I dealt with an adductor strain a couple years ago. It was not fun, and you want to make sure your issue doesn't progress to a higher severity. It will serve you well if you work to strengthen the adductors and other hip muscles. The "thighmaster"-like machines in the gym are good for that (adductor/abductor machines), as is the 4-way hip machine. In addition, leg press, lunges, and wobble-boards will help strengthen those stabilizing muscles around the groin. Once the pain goes down, you will want to strengthen your core too.

Heat before activity, ice after. The reason you feel better a few minutes into running is that your getting the muscles warmed up. Buy a $15 electric heat pack, and use it to warm up the muscles while you lay in bed in the morning. It will make a difference.

BTW - going from 40 mpw to 70 mpw in two months is a bit aggressive. A good rule of thumb when delving into uncharted mileage territory is to increase your mileage every 2-3 weeks, and do it in 5-mile chunks. Yes, it will take you quite a while to get to your mileage goal, but you also have a better chance of staying healthy!
wildbull
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:48:23 pm »

I have had those same pains.  Usually when i increase my miles and intensity.  For me i have found that it is good to listen to your body.  Decrease your miles for a week.   You’re straining your adductors.  You need give them the time to rebuild.  Like any muscle in the body they will be stronger if you give them the rest they need.  You will come back stronger and the injury will not linger!   If you use the adductor machine at the gym go with very light weights  and do more reps.   Use it more for stretching.   
Brian
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:15:19 pm »

Thanks alot for the replys...I guess I need to ease off on the mileage for a bit, then I will definately do some adductor strength excercises at the gym.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: