Fast Running Blog
July 02, 2024, 08:03:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamstring problems  (Read 3670 times)
Dale
Posting Member

« on: March 06, 2008, 02:37:12 pm »

Twice inside of a month I seem to have "tweaked" my hamstrings, first the left about 10 miles into a 20 mile run, then yesterday the right at 7 miles into an 8 mile run.  By tweak, I mean the hamstring suddenly cramps up and I need to stop in order to massage it out.  The first time I finished the run but the cramping got worse as the run progressed.  I just took it easy afterwards the next couple of days and was fine.  This time I'm taking the drastic step of not running today since I had a hard workout scheduled and didn't feel like that was the smart thing to do.

After the first one, I rechecked my post-run stretching routine to make sure I was getting the hamstrings good, and I feel like I am.  I also added some exercises I wind up doing 3 times/week to target strengthening the hamstrings...I'm guessing I have some weakness there.

I'm having a tough time figuring out why these problems are appearing in the middle of runs at my Easy pace instead of during hard workouts (or why they're appearing at all).  I'm also finding it hard to accept that twice in one month on separate legs is a coincidence. 

So my question is this....am I missing anything?  Ideas welcome.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:55:29 pm »

I would think it might have something to do with nutrition, because it is coming on by cramping.  Alot of runners lack in minerals or have a soduim imbalance that can cause cramping.  I would think if you pull or strained you would feel it longer.  But who really knows why our dang bodies deside to all of the sudden hurt in one spot or another.  I would ice the spot that cramps after the run to decrease any inflamation that may accure.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:04:57 am »

Thanks.  Hmmm....I'd wondered if it was a sodium deficiency since it does feel more like cramping that straining.  I took yesterday off completely (gasp!) and this morning it feels fine again.  Okay, so how does one go about figuring out whether or not I have a sodium (or other) deficiency?  Other than trying to eat relatively well and taking a multi-vitamin, I'm not a big nutrition buff.  Is there a way to tell if you're deficient other than just making the assumption and taking supplements like Nuun?
Josse

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:45:52 am »

You can get a bloode test to see if your lacking in anything or boifeed back (the route I would choose)  it gives you a full read out of eveything in your body and how it is fuctioning.   You may look at your calcuim intake I take a liquid calcuim, you have to make sure it is a good one or else the body doesn't absorb it.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:16:46 am »

Hmm. Josse, what do those bio-feedback tests cost and can you just have them done at your doctors office?
Jim M
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 04:40:11 am »

Dale are you including your lower back and core in the strength and streetching routines your are doing? In my opinion while it may be and most likely is an eletrolite issue it could also be a sign that you have some weakness in you core. One other opinion sometimes when I am running easy I tend to get a little sloppy with my form and tend to tweak little things here and there.

Good Luck
Jim
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:30:18 am »

Thanks Jim.  Yes I try to do core work 3 times per week and I stretch after every run without exception.  I know my hamstrings are weak and started working on them a month or so before the first incident and think it's also possible that I may have inadvertently strained it with the exercises and then wound up cramping on the run.  It seems like a catch-22.....I need to strengthen the hammies but when I try to work on strengthening the hammies the get tired easily and are more prone to cramping.  But I'm still working on it.

Thanks for all of the input everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: