Fast Running Blog
May 28, 2024, 02:03:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's involved in improving running performance  (Read 3558 times)
Brian
Lurker

« on: January 23, 2008, 06:11:12 am »

....OK, I'm new to this forum and very excited to be part of it all!..I've been running off and on for many years, but never paid much attention to the technical aspect of the sport....I just went out and ran...no speed or other variations to my run. I first starting running years ago to lose weight, and fell in love with it. Now. for some reason, I want so much more out of the sport....including running a marathon, and my reasons are so different now. Unfortunetely, I now have the age factor working against me....49 yrs.....not that old, but I'm not 20! My question is basically.....I see so many runners on this forum who run 5 or 6 min. miles consistently for 26.2 miles....I cannot even imagine doing that! What percentage of this ability is natural and what percentage is consistant, hard and dedicated work.....because if effort is the main reason, I am committed to do the work to improve. I realize there are so many factors involved....one being your physical makeup.
I would love to hear opinions on this....I am so excited about improving my own personal best......Brian.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:20:01 pm »

There is an effort, experience, and talent component to running, much like anything else.  I had a hard time keeping my easy runs below 9 minute pace 7 months ago, and through consistent training I just did the Painter's half at a 6:19 average pace.  So it's not a 6 flat pace yet (nor is it for 26.2 miles yet), but it will be if the stars align (stars meaning - good training effort, no injuries, no weight gain, etc).  I have been racing since I was 12 years old, but had an eight year hiatus from 1999-2005, so I have experience, but my training was not there.  My talent is middling. 

So should you be psyched about running?  Yes!  Through consistent training you might surprise yourself with some 6 minute miles soon, then you'll be able to string a couple of those together to make a short tempo, then eventually you should be able to do a long tempo at that pace.  In running you are rewarded when you train consistently and build to an acceptably high amount of mileage (paying attention to your body of course).  We all have risk of injury, but barring that, improvement should naturally come to those who are consistent, persistent, and listen to their fellow bloggies!

I think your plan of focusing on increasing mileage until you get to 60 or so is a good plan.  What marathon are you targeting and when will it be?
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:06:20 pm »

I echo what Michelle says about consistency in training, diet and commitment really making a big difference in seeing improvement.  Also, being realistic about one's goals is part of the excitement.  I didn't really start running competitively or for marathons until about 3 years ago and knew that I had to set my goals appropriately for a 36 year old.  As I continued to improve my training, form, etc. my pace improved and times came down.  Now I would like to continue to improve, but am realistic enough to know what I can likely achieve but still push myself to give my all. 

Yes, keep striving to run more (as your body, life, etc. will allow), use good form/technique, eat right, sleep well and you will see great fun and benefits from running in all aspects of your life.
Brian
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »

Thankyou so much for the replys.....such good, sound advice! I will definetely work on mieage right now....I have always stuggled with  overdoing things...I get so passionate about my goals that I tend to overtrain. I will have to watch that...and like you said...I must be realistic about my goals....considering my age, but this is fun and exciting, and its so motivating to see improvements...no matter how small. Thanks again for the replys.
oh ya....I'm planning to run the Detroit Free Press marathon this October....its close to home, and I've heard its a good marathon to run as my first.....I hope!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 02:28:35 pm »

Brian:
It does not take an unusual level of natural ability to reach the level of 6:00 pace in the marathon.  5:00 is a different story. Almost any healthy man under 50 who does not have extreme fast-twitch fiber dominance can be trained to run sub-7:00 pace.
Patience and consistency are the key. You must take it one step at a time, and find happiness in small accomplishments on your way to the bigger ones. Find a distance you can run at an easy pace such that 24 hours later you feel at least as good as you did before you ran it so you can repeat it. Run that distance at that pace 6 days a week. Increase it as your level of fitness increases. Overtime this will produce significant improvements in your running performance.
Michelle - unless you get pregnant or suffer from some extreme metabolism disorder, it takes no star alignment to maintain proper weight. It does take self-control, though.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

I to just started training a couple years ago to get faster and run more competitively, and it does take discipline in your training and diet, and rest.  I've see my times come down  a lot and for being 36 years old I would have never thought I could do what I'm doing now.  Just keep running, and get the advice from others on this site for a solid training program.  You can achieve your goals.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 03:03:17 pm »

The single greatest impact on my times came when I added speed work. The second greatest impact came with adding mileage. Too much of either can be worse than none at all so it's a fine balance. I would inject some speed training once every 10 days or so and go from there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: