Fast Running Blog
June 15, 2024, 10:39:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Negative Splits - Training Question  (Read 2958 times)
Scott
Lurker

« on: April 04, 2011, 04:42:39 pm »

I have a training question.  It may be too late to address, but alas I'll throw it out there. 

On most of my long runs this training session (I'm running a marathon on May 1st -- so 4 weeks left), I have pretty steep negative splits.  As an example, my last four long runs have been:  17 miles (3 minute negative split); 18 miles (5 minute negative split); 18 miles (5+ minute negative split); 20 miles (6 minute negative split).

I don't purposefully try to run faster the second half AND some of it is wind, terrain, but these seem steep to me.  Perhaps it's not.  Quite honestly, I think alot of it is mental as I run these as an out-and-back, on an early Saturday morning (and that is my last run for the week).  So, I seem to have a little more kick in my step, perhaps, knowing I'm almost done for the week(!?).

Anyway, with a marathon a month a way, and my tapering about to begin fairly soon, I thought there may be some training exercises that I could incorporate into my weekly runs to perhaps give me a kick start more at the beginning, and less at the end. 

Thoughts?  Thank you in advance for any input you can give!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:22:20 pm »

You're doing it right, don't change a thing. It's a called a "progression run". You'll want to do the marathon the same way. Be sure to slap people on their bum as you blow by them.
Dan
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:01 pm »

What Paul said, but make sure you say 'Good Game' or they may look at you strange  Cool
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:55 am »

You go negative on alll of your long runs?  That's pretty impressive.  I try to end my long runs with a "fast finish," usually the last 2M, but almost never run the 2nd half faster than the first half.  I attribute part of that to the fact that I almost never take in any fuel during long runs- relying on the theory that it helps your body grow accustomed to performing during a glycogen depleted state. IMO, if you're running negative splits during long runs and not fueling during the run then you are in really good marathon shape. Good luck in your race!
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »

Yes! This is exactly how you should be training. Your body needs some time to warm up. There's no reason to think that you should get right into your pace as soon as you head out the door.

Run the first mile of your marathon 30 seconds slower than your intended pace and see what happens. It's a beautiful thing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: