Fast Running Blog
September 30, 2024, 03:26:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running in the Caribbean?  (Read 5350 times)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« on: April 28, 2010, 02:52:49 pm »

I'm going on a little cruise next week out of San Juan, PR. We will stop at Barbados, St.Lucia, St. Martin, Antigua, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Anyone know any good running in those areas? Is it safe to just slap a garmin on and  take off? I've google earthed the areas but it's hard to tell unless you've been there before. Any good insight would be very helpful to plan runs each day. Thanks!
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

I can only speak about PR since that is where I'm from.  Your boat will probably leave from Old San Juan.  Old San Juan is a beautiful place and very tourist friendly.  However, it is mostly cobblestone and very hilly.  Your best bet is a trail that goes outside the old fortified walls of the city with maybe a stroll up and around the El Morro Castle , which was the main defense for the city in Spanish times.  Please stay within Old San Juan.  If you venture further you can run into some pretty shady and downright dangerous neighborhoods.  Trust me, I'm a native and I would stay out of some of those areas.  So as long as you are not too concerned about your pace (hills, traffic, finding your way, etc.) you should find a few very interesting miles to run.  Get a good map of Old San Juan online and this should help you prepare a good route.  If nothing else make sure you visit the El Morro Castle and the San Cristobal Castle.  These are very cool and will not dissapoint.  Enjoy!!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:11 pm »

Clyde- I've run 60+ miles/week on two cruises.  I actually do most of my running on the ship in the morning or evening- if you mix up the outdoor track with the indoor treadmill, it isn't bad.  Plus they are quite different experiences/views than what you normally see in a run.  I still remember watching Cuba drift by during a run, and watching 3 cruise ships weave their way through the Belize barrier reef on another. 

I found that the port stops weren't so long that I had time to run onshore- by the time you debark, run, and embark, you have eaten into a lot of the port time that you and Mik'L can enjoy together.  I'd rather spend my port time exploring things with my wife, since there is more boat time than port time.  Just my preference.

That being said, you should be somewhat safe running on those islands, though I imagine most have some shady areas.  Use your common sense.  I think all are hilly.  Your biggest safety factor would likely be the very crazy drivers on the very narrow roads- I would be moderately cautious/worried about that.  I would think that is a bigger safety risk than crime.

Whatever you choose, have a good cruise!  And remember, the reason you run on cruises is so you can eat more- your waiter should bring you 2-3 entrees and deserts if you ask him!  It's awesome!
Superfly

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:42:54 pm »

Jose I found this article online and it may be just what you were talking about http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=12711 So I was planning on trying to find that while in San Juan. I'll have a whole day before I board the ship to chill there so I'm going to try and do a good run (that will be this Saturday). Anyways thanks for the help and I'll report back on how things turned out.
Superfly

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:49:34 pm »

LOL... Yeah Jon I've been on a few cruises before and plan on the 3-4 entrees, desserts, and more. This however will be the first where I've had big running plans. I will actually try the ship and treadmill because like you said I'll have more time there to chip away at it. I still love running on vacation. It's the coolest way to see a new city. While Mik'L and her sister are shopping and laying out I'll go exploring... but your right I will have to watch the drivers and narrow roads.
We should do a blog cruise? But only if you want to waste money:)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:18 pm »

Yeah, if your wife lays on the beach and goes shopping then you'll definitely have time for running.

Blog cruise?  I'm always too cheap to pay for internet.
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:10:36 pm »

Jose I found this article online and it may be just what you were talking about http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=12711 So I was planning on trying to find that while in San Juan. I'll have a whole day before I board the ship to chill there so I'm going to try and do a good run (that will be this Saturday). Anyways thanks for the help and I'll report back on how things turned out.

Clyde, That article has it pretty dead on.  I am actually shocked that they have a running shop in Old San Juan (according to the article)!  Like I said before I think you should really take the time to tour El Morro and San Cristobal.  One of our favorite family activities when I was little was to fly kites at the green in front of El Morro.  It is so breezy that flying a kite is very effortless.  They sell cheap kites right on the green and it is a pretty relaxing thing to do if you have the time.  Hope you have a great time.
Superfly

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 07:00:10 am »

Jose I just finished doing that run. I ran out and back from my room and it was just about 4 miles there. Then I did 3 laps around the grass field then back to the room. I was pleased to see runners all over the place. They all said they knew you:)
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »

Jose I just finished doing that run. I ran out and back from my room and it was just about 4 miles there. Then I did 3 laps around the grass field then back to the room. I was pleased to see runners all over the place. They all said they knew you:)

What can I say?  I'm famous like that back in the homeland :-)  Seriously I am green with envy.  I ran a 20 miler this morning in rainy/snowy 40 degree freaking weather!!!!  In May!  Hopefully you are counting your blessings.  I hope you guys have a great vacation.
esanders64
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »

Sounds like you're already on your way; if you still have a way to check messages, I'll give you some other ideas.

We've taken two cruises in the past 2 years that finished up in San Juan.  In addition to the castle wall run that was already suggested, I have done a long run starting in Old San Juan, following the road to the Condado district toward the Isla Verde section near the airport.  It's a good option on a Sunday morning when there isn't a lot of traffic.  And there is one section that is directly next to the beach, so you can get in some sand running if that's your desire.

Like others have suggested, I have not been as successful with running during a port stop.  But there are good alternatives if you are into swimming or biking.  Many of the port stops offer biking excursions.  And if you spend an afternoon at the beach at any of them, you can swim some "laps" in the ocean while your family lays on the sand.  I did a one hour swim at a beach in the Dominican Republic and really enjoyed it, and my wife liked the cool rays.

And don't forget about a speedwork session on the cruise ship, assuming that it has a reasonably non-crowded running track.
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 07:44:47 am »

I'm sure the cruise is long done and should have read this earlier.  I don't recommend running in St. Thomas - no shoulders and crazy drivers.  Tons of great runs on trails in St. John.  St. Croix is also nice for running - more room on the sides of the roads and not as crowded.
Superfly

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 04:14:48 pm »

Finally got home late last night. Thanks for all the help. I was able to run a little on each island except for the days we were too busy. The hardest part by far was the narrow roads and crazy drivers. I never really enjoyed a run because I was always in fear. Plus the humidity mixed with heat was almost too much. But that said it was fun to do a little sightseeing while getting in some miles.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: