Fast Running Blog
June 10, 2024, 04:36:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: weird pain--help!  (Read 6021 times)
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« on: November 20, 2007, 11:57:26 pm »

So, I have noticed that for the past two weeks or so I have been getting this weird pain.  It is in the arch of my right foot.  Some days it doesn't hurt too bad, and others it makes me limp around a little (like today).  I notice that when I am running, that although I still feel this pain, it doesn't really seem to get worse until I am done running.  I was just wondering if someone could tell me what this might be, as well as any tips on getting over it.  I would really appreciate any help.  Smiley
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 08:07:20 am »

Might be plantar fasciitis which is a common, but not fun, runner's injury.  The plantar fascia is a broad band of fibrous tissue located along the bottom surface of the foot that runs from the heel to the forefoot. Excessive stretching of the plantar fascia, usually due to over-pronation, causes plantar fasciitis.

The inflammation caused by the plantar fascia being stretched away from the heel often leads to pain in the heel and arch areas. The pain is often extreme in the morning when an individual first gets out of bed or after a prolonged period of rest.

If this condition is left untreated and strain on the longitudinal arch continues, a bony protrusion may develop, known as a heel spur. It is important to treat the condition promptly before it worsens.

The initial treatment for arch pain, especially if it is of sudden onset is the use of ice to reduce the swelling. Later heat and anti-inflammatory gels can be a big help.
Dave Holt
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:12:19 am »

Jeff- was that the dictionary definition? 
I developed a beastly case of PF about a year and a half ago that eventually did develop a spur.  The pain was with me for, well, a year and a half; it has just recently gone away.  I would suggest icing before and after every run; quality stretching of the calves; as well as a Strausburg Sock (a goofy looking thing that you wear at night keeping the foot in a more flexed position and thus keeping the PF stretched). 
Good luck Dawson - this is an injury I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy (or even Clyde!). 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:51:09 am by Dave Holt » Logged
jtshad

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:40:40 am »

Yes, a bit of plagerism there...I concur on the use of the Strausburg sock as well.

So, Dave, you WOULD wish this on Clyde? :-)
Dave Holt
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 10:50:38 am »

That was one of those typos when the brain thinks faster than the fingers can move!
I'll go back and fix it - but now that I think about it, I might wish it on him!
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 10:09:10 pm »

I appreciate your help.  So then, is it normal that it hurts more to walk fast on the treadmill than to jog?  Should I stop runnig for a while to speed up the healing, or will that even help?
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:22:51 pm »

Does it hurt in your heel when you get up in the morning?  If so, then it probably is PF.  However, yours sounds a little different from mine - as generally it hurts most when I sit for a long time (or sleep).  It could (hopefully) be something as simple as your shoes, have you had them long (too long), or is it a new version of your old stand-bye? 

If it is PF then I second (or fifth) the Strausburg sock - and also, I have bought a pair of birkenstocks (they are supposed to help arch support) and wear my Nike free's as much as I can.

Good luck.
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 09:14:01 pm »

I will have to look into the birk's because I think I could use some arch support.  I run (currently) in a pair of Brooks Beasts, and a pair of Saucony Hurricanes.  Both pairs are less than 3 months old.  It hurts worse when I wear the hurricanes, so I think I will favor the beasts for a bit.  Also, I got a Strausberg sock, so I will start using it tonight.  I think I will also see if I can get some inserts for my hurricanes that have more arch support in them.
Jon W.
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 10:52:30 pm »

Dawson,

Just wondering if you have had any luck with the Strausberg sock.  I have also been struggling with some arch pain similar to what you described.  I am wondering if I need to cut back a little on the training or do I just work through it??  What have you found that is working?

Jon
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 07:56:29 pm »

Jon-

Yes the sock has been great for me.  It does take a little getting used to, and you just kind of have to let your body tell you when it has had enough ( I wore it for almost a week before I could make it through the whole night without taking it off).  Also, do not think that it will be better if you tighten it up a little more, I made that mistake a couple of times.  All in all, I had to wear it for about two weeks.  I also bought a pair of inserts (superfeet orange).  Since wearing those I have been able to start running in my other shoes once again.  So, I would reccomend the sock for sure.  Hope that answers your question.
James Winzenz

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 09:14:37 pm »

I agree with what Dawson said about having to get used to the sock.  My big toe has a slight hammer toe to it, and after about 4 hours of wearing it at first, I would have to take it off because my big to was either super sore or numb.  But it also helped me with my PF.  In addition, I have been using it on my leg that has the sore achilles, and I think it has been helping with that as well.  I would probably recommend wearing it for more than just 2 weeks - when the pain starts to disappear, that doesn't mean the injury is completely healed, just that the symptoms are now gone.  For many cases of PF, it can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 16 weeks or more, depending on the severity.  The sock helped me to be able to still train through it, and definitely assisted with the healing.
Kevin Montgomery
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 05:57:11 pm »

I agree with the other replies... it sounds like PF to me.  I am getting over a bout with it that I have had for about 1.5 years.  For me what worked are Pinnacle Powerstep inserts, I don't wear any shoes without them now... even the boots that I cut grass in... I wear them!  I roll the ball of my foot (where the pain is) over a golf ball.  It took me a little while but I eventually worked up to where I could really press and get a deep massage.  Also, people say to ice your foot ... I 100% agree - this is the best!!!, however for me I use a trick that we used to do in High School.  Get a large bucket... one that your foot will fit into comfortably... fill it to just above ankle high with ice.  Then add about the same amount of water; get some music, magazine  or other distraction then soak your foot for 10-15 min.  I would not recommend any longer than 15 min. 

I would highly recommend you research to find out what works for you ... and most of all please do not try to push through it (if you have PF) with the no pain no gain attitude.  I consider myself pretty tough (played inside linebacker... 3rd strongest guy in HS.. etc. etc.).  In short for me it literally got me to a point where I could almost not even walk.

Again please note: above are the things that worked for me... if you google PF you will find a ton of information as well as excercises and other options.  Wishing you the best!!

P.S. Oh.. in closing after about 1.5 years my PF is about 97% healed.  On long runs or days when I do calf raises (stretching the foot) it still aches but not nearly as bad as it used to.
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 08:14:46 pm »

To go along with the last comment, to get in the massage AND the cold aspect at the same time, I used an empty jar from the fridge.  If you keep it in the door of your fridge, it will always be cold and ready for you to use.  And, if you fill it with water or something else, it will hold the cold for longer periods of time.  When you need to use it, just roll it on the carpet, using the arch of your foot.  With some practice, you can really get some pressure going on it.  That always seemed to help with the pain for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: