Fast Running Blog
June 30, 2024, 12:17:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Laces  (Read 4430 times)
Cory Birt
Lurker

« on: December 16, 2007, 10:11:39 am »

I'm curious to know the preferred approach for dealing with shoe laces while running.  I've noticed some will cut their laces very short.  Others use commercial products (e.g., lace locks).  While others leave their laces long and thread them back into the shoe.

What is your preferred method?
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:46:11 am »

Personally, I leave my laces somewhat long, but double-tie them so that they are not flopping on the ground.  I recently changed my lacing technique from the standard x's to the "Lydiard" lacing method, which provides the top of my feet with a bit more comfort.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 12:08:50 pm »

I tuck my laces. I pull the loops very long and tuck them into the laces at the front of the shoe. Seems to work well...
adam

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:38:57 pm »

When I first started to running, I had just come from years of playing soccer. I thought the best way to tie your laces was to tightly wrap them all the way around your shoe as many times as possible, then tie the knot on the side, top, or bottom whenever I ran out of lace. This was normal when I played soccer, as big knots/long laces interfered with my touch and accuracy. Needless to say, using this method to tie running shoes left my feet a little swollen up after races. I never lost a shoe though.

Now I just tie them up regular style. Recently I have been experimenting with the triathlete type laces (with the cords and little clip). I like how they feel, but it is sometimes hard to get your shoes on.
jtshad

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:03:50 pm »

I just use the regular lacing for the most part and leave the relatively long.  I double knot them or use a new double knotting technique my brother taught me that does not come untied as easily.
James Winzenz

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:38:36 pm »

What is the new double-knotting technique?  I don't think I have ever had a pair of shoes come untied when I used the standard double-knot.  Matter of fact, when I go to put the shoes back on, I find that the knot was even tighter than I originally made it.  I have also never had to replace the laces in my running shoes, which would be a viable alternative if the laces are too long . . .
Adam R Wende

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:34:58 pm »

I couldn't find another quick and easy way to post a picture. So I replaced the picture on my blog until tomorrow with a picture of what I mean for the laces. Since I've been tying them this way I've never had a problem during a workout or race...
Adam R Wende

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:51:48 pm »

Jon, I put a higher rez pic on the site now...
James Winzenz

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 04:53:24 pm »

If I understand correctly, it looks like there are two sets of knots in the laces - one up on the top, and one down near the tarsals - is that about right?  I thought I saw two sets of bows.  If so, my laces are not nearly long enough to do this.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 06:06:12 am »

James, Actually only one knot. The loops are then just tucked. My laces happen to be very long so they are tucked through the bottom crossover of the laces on the top of the shoe and still stick out all that...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: