Fast Running Blog
June 03, 2024, 04:19:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do when you run OK,or even poorly, and people say you run so great  (Read 3330 times)
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« on: November 10, 2009, 07:43:11 am »

I just ran a small local 5K and took 3rd, but my time was not very good, for me.  When people would come up to me as say, you ran so well.  It was hard not to say, no I didn't I should of been alot better.  The time didn't match what I thought I trained for.   I know people are trying to be nice and compared to them I ran well.  I am greatiful for the nice comments.  How do you handle a disappointing race and not look disappointed. 
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:54:49 am »

How does the old proverb go? Something like, "I complained because I had old shoes until I saw a man with no feet."  I think it is important to always be grateful for what we have and realize that others may have it a lot worse than we do!  Be grateful that you can run! Be grateful that you can run fast!

Ben
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:02:08 am »

Just accept their compliments, smile, and move on. Or say something like, "Thanks, it wasn't quite the race I wanted, but I'll take it. Beautiful day to be running." Or something like that.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:03:03 am »

http://blog.mastertheshift.com/Ryan-Hall/index.php/2009/11/ing-nyc-marathon-part-ii-letting-go-and-getting-up/
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 01:41:51 pm »

Just accept their compliments, smile, and move on. Or say something like, "Thanks, it wasn't quite the race I wanted, but I'll take it. Beautiful day to be running." Or something like that.
Sounds like Paul P has had some experience with this.  That sounded good to me.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:40:46 am »

3rd place? That is amazing! Now that's out of the way, haha, I think it has to do with perspective. I am a middle of the pack runner. I set humble goals and usually meet them, nothing special: 20 min 5k, 45 min 10k on a good day, 2 hr half marathon. I used to be obsessed with always improving until I realized it was taking the fun out. Now will I ever win a race? Nope. Probably not. I am mesmerized by the folks at the front of the race and yes, I am one of those annoying people that will say how great you looked. And how wonderful it is that you got 3rd place. But that's because I don't know you and don't know the training you've done and why it should have ended in a first place finish, not third. I think that there are 2 types of congratulatory comments from people when you know you've run a bad race:

1. Family and Friends - I find that no matter what family and friends will always say how well you ran, even if you did not meet your goals. They will always find the positives in whatever effort you made out there on the roads and trails.

2. Newbies/Novices/Non-Runners - Many people simply don't understand racing and the blood, sweat, tears that go into it. Imagine Rosie Ruiz and not knowing what a fartlek is, much less an interval, tempo run, etc. To them you got third place in a race and ran really fast. "That's amazing! How'd you do it?!" etc. etc. So I think ignorance too can come into play
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 05:39:05 pm »

Yeah, I agree with Paul- just say thanks and change the category.  I usually try to ask how they did, congratulate them, and focus the rest of the conversation on them.  But don't completely ignore their compliment.  And just don't complain about how poor you did.  After all, everyone has their own barriers and you can't help it if you are naturally faster than others.  I would think I would be awestruck if I met Ryan Hall after a race, even if he thought he ran a poor race.  Everything is relative.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: