Fast Running Blog
September 30, 2024, 03:25:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble breathing after taking fluids during longruns.  (Read 2576 times)
Julie
Lurker

« on: October 29, 2009, 06:17:19 pm »

During my last marathon I think I developed a bad case of acid reflux. Around mile 10 (after I'd take fluids &/or gel) I would have trouble breathing, like an asthma attack combined with feeling like I had to burp. It only got worse to the point where my chest was constantly tight. I simply stopped taking fluids/gels after mile 18 and felt great by mile 22. I had something similar happen in other races just not to that extent. I don't take anything in a race that I don't train with. Anyone have any advice to what this was exactly & how to prevent it next time?
Thanks!!!!  Grin
Traci
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:00:56 pm »

Julie, It does sound like you were probably refluxing your fluids, most likely because of slowed stomach emptying during the marathon. You may want to try taking less amount of fluid, but take fluids more often to make sure you stay well hydrated.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:04:31 pm »

When something like this happens to me, I interpret it as drinking/eating too much. There is only that much food/drink your body can take while running, and more than the limit cannot be forced. If the body does not want it, it does not want it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: