Fast Running Blog
May 28, 2024, 12:51:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Swimming  (Read 9791 times)
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 10:16:35 am »

Cheryl, no doubt that cycling can help your running.  It all comes down to "opportunity cost" to borrow from the science of economics.  There is definitely a "highest and best use of your time" to be taken into consideration here.  Cycling mileage will have a certain percentage of correlation with running mileage, but only a certain percentage (I dunno, maybe 20-30% of cycling mileage will help out with running?).  My main point is that running miles will directly help with faster running while cycling mileage will have a much smaller effect, but will still have an effect.  It's like eating a cheeseburger and cutting out the cheese because you want to eat healthier.  Yes, you are eating healthier but perhaps not as healthy as if you were eating a salad.  I really enjoy cycling, but when taking into consideration time and energy that must be expended to run a faster marathon it is much more economical to spend my time running. 

It all comes down to what your own goals are.  If you want to be a tri-athlete, then you must cycle, but if you want to be a faster runner, the highest and best use of your time is to run. BTW, I honestly think running has much greater benefits for cycling than vice versa if cycling better is your goal.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 11:49:44 am »

Ben's ability is around 1:10 half. In high school he was the state cross country champion in Kansas with the time of 16:06. Before he went on a mission we trained together and competed roughly on par.  Then both of us went on a mission, he went a few months after I did. Shortly before his mission he trained with the BYU team and got into even better shape. He ran a 5 K on the road in 15:45, who knows if it was accurate, but he did the workouts with the team and could hang on, so 15:45 sounds reasonable.

When I returned, I followed the rule from the White Handbook "when transferred to a new area find your companion without delay" literally, so I was already married when he got back. I was out with Sarah for a run, she was on a bike, when we saw Ben. She recognized him, and I did not, he was so fat. He ate too much meat in Argentina, and could not shake the fat off by walking all day in the heat. When somebody says he is going to get fit by walking, I always think of post-mission Ben.

So we started training together again, and pretty soon he got in some sort of decent shape. He was running certified 5 Ks  on hilly courses around 17:00, I believe sometimes even a little under. He could do 3x1 mile down the Provo Canyon (1% grade) in 5:05. And I believe he did run a 1:18 half, if he did not he definitely could have. Then he moved and we lost contact. I did not have the blog then to harass him long distance. So he got fat and lazy again.

In 2007 he reappeared in Provo in a state of disrepair.  He could not hold 6:00 pace for more than half a mile. That was around the time he ran 1:29. I was in shock. Then he disappeared and reappeared again in 2009, this time in even worse condition. I was in shock again because I did not believe it could possibly get worse. But at least now he is fixing it with proper diet and training.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 07:17:27 pm »

Cheryl -

I was frustrated by running related injuries for a couple years in a row while trying for a BQ.  My first marathon was a 3:41 using a running and cycling approach (called the FIRST method, you've probably heard of it).  After completely that race I promptly bought the Pfitz book "Advanced Marathoning" and started to run exclusively in preparation for my next marathon.  What happened?  I improved my time by approx. 20 min (still not enough for a BQ), but was up to my ears in injuries.  I continued to only run, but when a persistent injury threatened to hobble me for another marathon I decided to switch to the FIRST method and ended up with a BQ by 9 min.  As it was stated, it depends on your goals and what your body can handle.  You can become a very solid runner incorporating cross training, but the cross training has to be fairly intense.  However, as it has also been stated, if you want to achieve your full running potential and reach for something special then there are "no secrets" and only running more distance will provide the proper stimulus.  I've now reached the point of being able to run all the time without a serious injury always looming, but that came from slowing down my daily pace by about 1-1.5 min (even slower some days) and moving to 2 a day workouts.  I also dropped dedicated speed workouts every week and practice my speed just a little when I'm in the mood or in a race.  I've been happy with my progress and have learned to enjoy running again by dropping the watch (running loops on a track just isn't for me) and taking it easy.  People can bash LSD and "junk miles" all they want, but it works for me and I've been able to reach weekly mileage I didn't think was even possible.  Please don't think I'm tooting my horn here.  My point is to find what works best for you and go for your goals with all gusto.  If you grow tired of x-training then simple move to more running by dropping the speed work, really slowing down your daily pace, and focusing on your running form.  Be patient with your running and give the body all the time it needs to adjust.  Run a short race once and while, but don't force things, take it really easy most days, and remain consistent.  Over time you'll be running more and your daily pace will improve as well.   
Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:41 pm »

Thanks, everyone.  It's been an interesting discussion and what you guys say makes sense.  I think I'll increase my miles some (what I can handle without injury) and see what happens.
Scott
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »

I think alot of it depends on what stage you are at.  Furthermore, I think alot of what is discussed on these forums really depends on where you currently exist in your running-life-cycle.

Consider the case of a professional golfer.  Some of those guys/gals have large bellies and appear to be quite out of shape.  Doing additional strength work or exercising will not improve his/her game that much as they are already "professional".  They are already near their peak performance!

Then take the recreational golfer.  This golfer may improve his/her game dramatically by building some strength, becoming more limber, etc. because there is more room to improve!  Of course, more golf will help the recreational golfer, but so too will other items that may have an affect on his/her swing.

I think the same rationale holds true for running.  The top level runners, many of which are on this blog, can only "improve" so much as they are already near their peak performance.  As you move down the scale of running ability to the more recreational/average runner, there is a greater margin for possible improvement.  Therefore, incorporating other aspects into the program that may have an affect on overall fitness and cardiovascular strength makes some sense.  Just my $.02.

Have a great weekend!
Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 10:40:30 am »

Scott--that makes sense also and it is kind of the way I feel about the matter.  Maybe cross-training seems to help me because I'm stil at the recreational running stage.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 12:48:10 pm »

Do not know much about golf. However, in running I believe there is not a whole lot of difference between training a "pro" and a "jogger". I put those in quotes because there is really no hard boundary, also because there is really not a whole lot of difference in the fundamental principles of training. There might be some specialty consideration, e.g somebody who takes longer than 3 hours to run a marathon due to insurmountable Quality X limitations is running more of an ultra, while somebody who takes less than 2:10 is running a long half.  But overall I do not see that much difference, and the blog proves some evidence that this approach is correct. We have seen numerous times that when a "jogger" starts training like a "pro" would under the same time constraints and the starting level of fitness, almost without exception there is substantial improvement.

So I see every runner, including "joggers", pretty much the same. If somebody cannot run a mile under 5:00 off consistent 30 miles a week, he has a Quality X restriction. If somebody's marathon to 5 K time ratio is greater than 10, he is just plain out of shape. But I see every runner as a possibly handicapped and/or possibly undeveloped "pro" rather than somebody who is cursed to be a perpetual "jogger". That is why the name of the site is Fast Running Blog. I do hope to find at least a partial solution to the Quality X problem at some point. This would certainly help reduce the gap between a hard working "jogger" and a not so hard working "pro".
Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 11:28:05 pm »

Sasha--is Quality X another term for "athleticism?"  Are some people just born with more athletic ability and will always be ahead of the person not born with as much talent?  In other words, could I run for two or three hours every day and still not catch the person with more innate running athletic ability who only trains one hour a day?  If this is the case, how can you solve the Quality X problem when it may be unsolvable?  It doesn't seem like you can make somebody more "athletic."  Maybe they can improve somewhat with hard work, but they will never beat the person with more innate athleticism who also works hard, but maybe not quite as hard.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:03:19 pm by Cheryl Keith » Logged
Brooke
Lurker

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 07:56:56 pm »

Lots of great discussion! I agree that only running will make you faster, but I have found some muscle development/definition gains from swimming. I also think that it has helped my concentration and relaxation when I run. I usually swim for about an hour to an hour and a half on days when I do a hard running workout later, because it does utilize very different muscles. However, I do feel that swimming has some injury prevention benefits. This is just my personal opinion and may be all in my head, but I feel stronger on my runs when I am swimming regularly. Also, I enjoy swimming a lot as an individual exercise so why not fit some laps in when I can? This seems unique to me but I have not felt the same gains from cycling as a cross training activity.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 11:56:58 am »

Cheryl:

Quality X is the ability to run fast that is independent of traditional endurance training. E.g. Ryan Hall beats me in the marathon by a lot  because beats me in 100 meters by a lot. So we say he has more Quality X. Quality X does not respond to traditional endurance training, but it does not mean it is not trainable. We just do not know how to train it because of improper understanding of what it takes to succeed in distance running. We think of distance running as an endurance event. Thus 99% of research is focused on endurance without taking into account that if you have no speed, you can develop exceptional endurance, and you will still be no good.

We say, the guy is fast, he must be a sprinter. The guy is slow he must be a marathoner. Wrong! We almost condemned Ryan Hall to remain a kind-of-good miler this way. No! The guy is fast, he might be just a good sprinter, or he might be a marathoner in middle-distance runner's clothing. We must learn not say "Wow, you are a miler" when somebody runs a 3:59 mile. We should say, 3:59 is good, but you won't rock the boat on the world class level with this, but you have the leg power to run a world-class marathon, why don't you train right and try a longer distance?

A better approach is to view distance running as a combination of speed and endurance in equal proportions. Or more precisely, when we talk about speed, we should say the speed component with sustainable potential. E.g you could have to men than run 100 meters in 12.0. One could be endurance-trainable to run a 2:05 marathon, while the other will never break 2:50.  Both have the same speed, but the second one is cheating - he is using the power without the sustainable potential to run his 12.0. But a 14.0 guy will not run 2:05. He does not have the leg power period, sustainable or not. If we want him to run 2:05, we would need to give him more leg power with sustainable potential, and it will show itself in a sub-12.5 100 even before the sustainable potential is realized.

So for Quality X to improve we need to increase two things - slow twitch fiber recruitment, and slow twitch fiber power. Actually, I do not like the word "slow-twitch". Because 49.9 quarter, while not as fast as 43.3, is still not slow. Better term - fibers with aerobic potential. So we want to increase the power of the muscle fibers that have the aerobic potential. Quality X training would focus on the power of the fibers with aerobic potential. Endurance training would focus on realizing the aerobic potential. We know a whole lot about the endurance training. But we hardly know anything about the Quality X training.

But in order for the research to go into Quality X, there needs to be a motivation. Currently there is none. There are guys with natural Quality X. So we just throw away everybody else, and focus on the ones that have it. We tell the guys without Quality X - just run high mileage. So they run high mileage. And then they run 2:35, maybe 2:25, maybe even 2:23. And it is still no good for anything important. So they give up. And we never learn about how to improve Quality X.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »

Sasha,

Your concept of "Quality X" would be mostly genetic.  The saying, "Sprinters are born, endurance runners are made" only goes so far.  Obviously, someone born with no legs would have zero genetic ability to run or zero "Quality X".  A 7 foot tall man weighing 300 pounds (lean) would never be able to run a sub 2:30 marathon.  He would have a very low "Quality X".

Hard work in training will take a person a long, long way, however.  You are fantastic example of what hard work will do for a runner.  You weren't born with a whole lot of natural talent in running (Quality X), yet I've seen you improve drastically over time due to hard work be able to become an "elite runner".  Unfortunately, due to a lack of superior genetic ability, I wouldn't bet money on your chances for Olympic Gold or a world record.

There are, of course, diminishing returns when putting on more and more miles as a runner.  I could train 200 miles a week if I wanted to, but why?  What would that do for me?  There are more important things in life than running (not many haha.)  Would I rather run a 2:20 marathon, or spend time working on my interpersonal relationships, business, education, or other fulfillment?  These are important questions that any serious runner must ask at some point.

When I was younger I used to want to be an elite runner, yet when confronted with the hard, cold reality that there are people with a lot more "Quality X" than I have, I realized that the sacrifices required of me to compete at an elite level, while possible, would mean an enormous amount of sacrifice in other areas of my life.  While I am happy to say that I will be a runner for the rest of my life, my un-balanced personality (which most driven runners have) has made peace with the fact that I run for myself and no one else. I've also made peace with the idea that there is a trade-off between elite running and a balanced life.... although who is to say that living out of balance once in a while in order to push your physical limits is such a bad thing?

Looking forward to running some faster times and a lot more mileage,

Ben
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 11:00:08 am »

Ben:

For a while we did not realize that endurance was trainable. Then Lydiard demonstrated that it was. So Quality X might be trainable as well. We just have not figured out how. It is an interesting challenge. We know a lot about training the absolute power of a muscle. But we do not know a whole lot about how to train the power that has sustainable potential.

I do know that Quality X can be lost. So that perhaps is a good sign - it means it is not a permanent quality that you are given at birth that never changes. The question is - is it like the legs, once you cut them off you never get them back? Or is it like the soles of your feet - if you run barefoot they get tougher, we just need to figure out how to run barefoot? Can it only change for the worse, or can it also change for the better? If so, how can we make it change for the better?

I have some thoughts on how it can be trained.  You need to max out your aerobic potential. So you have the freedom to recruit your aerobically capable fibers to non-aerobic failure. Then you need to do something about your nervous system so it will not go into overload as you are constantly recruiting those fibers to failure. Then you need to recruit those fibers to failure as often as you can handle. The big question is to figure out the right frequency of such efforts and the right intervals for recovery.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: