Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 03:27:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Common cold and other sicknesses in runners  (Read 8882 times)
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« on: March 03, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »

Some studies indicate runners get sick less than sedentary equals because exercise activates the immune system, if only temporarily. Other studies cite more sickness in runners because they're always run down (no pun intended). What's your experience and more importantly, what do you do when you do get sick? Specifically, how do you handle colds and flu? 
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:07:14 am »

My personal experience has been that when I am properly training (and getting enough sleep!) I seem to get sick less frequently.  However, if I start to overtrain, I find myself more prone to sickness.  I think Dean Karnaszes just blogged about this too - has to do with the fact that with overtraining, you are wearing down your immune system and are thus more susceptible to bugs.  In terms of how I handle it, it depends on the severity.  With flu or serious cold, I do not run until I feel 100%, and even then, I will take it easy for at least a few days.  I once made the mistake of running an 8K race 3 days after being sick with the flu - never again.  I barely finished the race (walking the entire last mile, no less), was weaving all over the place, and ended up going into shock after the race.  In terms of recovery, everyone has their own things that work.  I tend to prefer to let it run its course, especially if it is something viral.  I may take the zinc lozenges, and may also take an  antihistamine to help clear my sinuses, but have heard horrible things about zicam (the thing you stick up your nose), like some people completely losing their sense of smell.  Other than that, I just basically lay low.  I figure any possible loss of fitness from missing a week of running is outweighed by the benefit (for me) of not getting sicker or going into shock during or after a run.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:14:21 pm »

James, are you the only guy on he board who has ever had to deal with a cold? If Sasha says he's never missed more than three consecutive days without running, how does he deal with it? How about the rest of you guys? I did the James thing when I got sick this last week and missed 6 days of running. I'll have to see on Monday how my body is going to respond to that gap in training. Should I have run through some of it? I wasn't feeling all that much better on Saturday, but had a commitment with a group I didn't feel I could break. I ended up doing 14 miles, felt horrible the rest of the day, but feel somewhat recovered today from both the cold and the long run. Is there a lesson here?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »

Fred

Historically, I get sick very infrequently.  Since I have had 2 young kids at home, though, I get sick much more often.  In my opinion, I have seen that running tends to strengthen the immune system so runners get sick less often.  However, a think a lack of sleep/rest can result in becoming worn down (something I always struggle with), which can increase the chance.  So by in large, runners are healthy but need to be careful.

For colds versus flu- if I have a head cold (runny nose, congenstion, etc), I will usually still go running, and it sometimes makes me feel better and clears me out.  If I have a fever or a chest cold (big cough), I usually don't.  For the flu, if I have a fever, am puking, or have not been eating, I don't go.  I have found the flu usually has a bigger and longer lasting negative effect on running ability than colds, especially when trying to run fast.

In an unrelated note, I think we are related.  My father is Roger Allen.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:26:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Jonathan. My Aunt Shirley, who married my Uncle Hamilton, was an Allen from Heber. She was best friends with my mom and introduced her to my dad, so we had a double Heber bond in the Teichert family. Shirley and Hamilton had Allen, Stephen, Christina and Elizabeth--my cousins. Aunt Shirley died maybe five years ago? Uncle Hamilton lives a kind of solitary existance in St. George with a second wife. All the Allens I've met have been outstanding people. I understand Hulk Hogan is related. A family of celebrities and fast runners, no doubt.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:17:05 pm »

I've heard lots of stories about Aunt Shirley and the Teicherts, and have met some of them.  And related to the Hulkster, too!
Carolyn Herlin
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 09:58:44 pm »

My husband's cousin married a Daniel Teichert. Any relation?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 03:56:05 pm »

Number one element in staying away from sickness is sleep. Number two is proper diet. Do not run more miles than you have earned through your recovery. Garlic helps protect against infections to an extent, but some can get right past it.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:29:13 pm »

My unscientific personal experience is that I get sick less when I am running, compared to my couch potato days. As Sasha says: sleep, diet and recovery are necessary.

It is true that garlic has some antibacterial properties, but it also makes a person stink.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:26:37 pm »

I have also noticed that if I push myself too hard I will come down with a head cold. That's happened to me several times. I would suggest that any temporary weakening of the immune system resulting from running (with the exception of overtraining) will eventually result in a stronger immune system.

I remember reading an article from a doctor (I believe) who suggested running through a cold if it was only in your head and throat but taking a break if it was in your lungs. However, that's only a general rule, and you'd have to listen to your body and play it by ear.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 05:36:06 pm »

I agree with sleep and diet.  I rarely get sick, but was pretty much always sick on the week of finals in both college and grad school.  Little sleep, tons of caffeine/sugar, and less exercise.  I seem most susceptible with running if I don't refuel well after long runs of 15 or more miles. 
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 11:04:06 pm »

I don't know Daniel Teichert, but I'm sure I know his parents. Most Teichert's in the west are related and a few years ago I knew most of them. But then Grandma and Grandpa had 64 grandchildren (of which I am one) and now they're like Elvis... everywhere.

Funny, when I first posted this question on the blog I wasn't even sick. Now I've missed 9 out of 18 runs with the worst cold I've had in years. I'm still not over it. Did I jinx myself or something?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: