Fast Running Blog
October 05, 2024, 05:17:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the fastrunningblog dying?  (Read 11844 times)
Dallen
Posting Member

« on: February 28, 2009, 08:01:31 pm »

As a strange person that overanalyzes numbers I noticed a couple of interesting trends. First, the mileage board is less competitive thas year compared to last year. Having run almost identical mileage this Jan/Feb to last Jan/Feb I currently am #14 on the yearly rank, last year I was #17. Second observation, less discussion forum posts in the last few months compared to the same months last year.

There could be a lot of reasons for these two observations, but if the blog is growing I would expect to see opposite trends.

Possible theories. Novelty wore off and people quit. Combination of injuries and changes in training styles leading to less miles. Utah market is saturated and the growth elsewhere is slow. Random variation. We can blame it on the economy, that's the current "in" thing to do.

Also I seem to sense less of the "team" feeling this year. What happened to the relays, etc.

Maybe I need to do some recruiting.

Any other ideas or input?

Tyler
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:47:18 pm »

Viva la fastrunningblog!!!!!!!!!
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:24:06 am »

The fastrunningblog lives in you.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 12:58:30 pm »

Regarding relays, I think they were just the flavor of the month for a while, and people got burned out on them. Fielding two teams for Wasatch Back turned out to be a lot of stress and bickering, and I think that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Regarding the blog in general, I think when something reaches a certain size, it loses it's family feel. It is certainly different and less intimate now than it was a couple years ago, when there were less than 100 members. But that's just the way it goes, and a natural by-product of huge growth. The positive to all this is that I squander far less time on the blog. I still check the message board every day, but there are very few people who I try to keep up with on their actual blog.
Cody Draper
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:09:15 pm »

Amen to Paul's response.  I feel the same way.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:55 pm »

Ditto.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:02:19 pm »

I have similar feelings as Paul, Cody, and Jon.  I've met quite a few new people through the blog and I've had some enjoyable experiences being involved in different races, parties, and events.  As far as the relays and race teams, though fun to be a part of, I can understand how those things could become financial burdens and stressful for those involved in organizing and sponsoring.  I continue to blog, mainly because I like the ability to track my workouts on the computer, at this point if someone comments on my blog I view it as an added bonus.  I still try to follow the blogs of some of my closer friends, but don't spend near the amount of time I did a few years ago.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 12:22:24 pm »

With relays it is very simple. Last year we had comps through Paul.  This year he does not have them. I offered Ragnar people to trade some web development work for comps twice, but did not get as little as a reply to my e-mails. I will not expect people that are feeding families and often barely making ends meet to pay $100 each to be gone from their families just so we could get some publicity. Having to take time off work and be gone is big enough of a sacrifice to ask for already. No comp - we do not send a team.

With the mileage board - I think people are realizing that there is only a marginal difference between 90 and 130 a week. Most runners will develop enough aerobically at 100 miles a week to become limited by the neuro-muscular aspect instead of aerobic. Neuro-muscular problems of this kind  cannot be fixed via high mileage. In the early days of the blog the majority of the runners were limited aerobically. To a certain extent this is still the case, but more and more runners are starting to hit the neuro-muscular plateau, or in other words they do not have enough Quality X to use their current aerobic power. After a year of that plateau some common sense begins to settle in, so you will see a reduction in mileage.
Superfly

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:31:29 pm »

I'm injured Cry
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 03:42:39 pm »

What about other social networking sites that eat up our online time? That's the issue for me. I have more and more friends/family on Facebook now, so I spend my extra 20 min/day on there, which leaves less time on the blog.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 03:45:41 pm »

I'm injured Cry

And I'm a wreck. I think we've nailed the problem: Clyde and I aren't pulling our weight anymore.  Angry
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 05:46:10 pm »

Add in Logan not being 100% and there you have some of the top guys off the mileage board. Some of us have discussed taking up other hobbies. A few weeks ago Wildbull, Steve Hooper, and Myself thought pretty hard about just bagging the long Saturday run and going to IHOP instead.  I think we even ran around the parking lot a few times, before we continued on with our run.
Josse

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 06:40:15 pm »

I agree with Paul and the boys plus injury and winter time put this bloggin thing on the back burner.  Not to mention extra added stress.
Paul I laughed my pant off at you new little picture thing Cheesy
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:38:22 pm »

As someone who is new to this blog (and wasn't around when there was a tight-knit feel to it), I would say the blog is doing a great service for me and obviously serving many more people than it used to. Maybe the blog needs some type of group feature so that people who know each other or run together can have their own "small-town feel" to it but still have accessibility to the larger community. I guess you can kind of already do that by putting a link to someone's blog on your blog, but I'm thinking of something more structured. Probably one of many ideas that could be added to the blog if Sasha had an infinite amount of time to put into it.
Superfly

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 09:02:47 pm »

Oh man Josse I just saw Paul's little picture and was cracking up!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: