Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 11:41:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibram Five Fingers  (Read 5459 times)
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:09 pm »

I should probably have posted this in the running forum because i don't think anybody ever comes here, but I've noticed that in the last year several of you have experimented with barefoot running or running in Five Fingers. I can only find scattered references to your experiences, so it would be great to get feedback all in one place. How did you like Five Fingers? Has your training with them (or barefoot) made a difference? Will it continue? How do you do it? Just curious.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:47:05 am »

I do a few barefoot miles here and there and I really love it.  Since I don't have 5-Fingers, I stick just to grass loops and barefoot striders, but I find it to be not only beneficial on my body, but my mind as well.  Whenever my form feels off, it is usually because I haven't gone barefoot for awhile.  And the same goes for when I start to feel a bit drained with my running. 
I have thought about getting some 5-Fingers to allow me to go out and run a few more place with the barefoot experience, but until Stevie gives me a raise, or one of my students really comes through with that promise of a grade buy-off I guess I will stick to the grass.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:38:21 am »

I do most of my easy miles in them when the weather is warm enough. You do have to realize, though, that I have a body that is more injury resistant than most people I know. I can put 5000 miles on a pair of shoes without any problems other than the holes. When I wear a shoe I am more concerned about the damage to the shoe than the damage to the body.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:06:48 pm »

Sasha, Dave, How does it affect your running style? I've read a lot about barefoot running and wonder if you can and/or should do both (barefoot and shod). Maybe the problem with shoes isn't the cushioning, but the raised heel?
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:57:56 pm »

I have a big problem with the thicker sole, higher heel shoes. I run very well on a daily basis on flats and lightweight trainers. This last month brooks sent me a new pair of glycerin 8 DNA's to wear test, and while I think they are going to be a great shoe for a vast majority of runners, even running 2-3 miles in them is enough to really throw me off and its really because there is so much "shoe" to them. Even today I chose running barefoot for 7 miles over running in them, or any other thick trainer.

Many more shoe companies are developing shoes that are lightweight and mimic barefoot running. I was laughing about this to myself today as I was running, because the majority of people who run fast are poor and can't afford shoes. So, in reality, you are paying money to mimic being poor.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 09:26:13 pm »

I can tell that my calves are working more, but overall it does not seem to change much. Speed-wise not a whole lot of difference. At first I was afraid to run faster than 5:10 pace, now I do not care.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:43:19 pm »

Adam, are you a "barefoot" runner? I've seen Sasha run and know he's a mid to forefoot striker, so he probably prefers lighter shoes. I'm starting to think we run like our shoes and wonder what kind of issues that raises.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 10:30:01 am »

I am not a barefoot runner. I played alot of soccer barefoot when I was younger, so I do not have much problem going out and running barefoot on grass for a couple of miles whenever I like. Generally the first couple of times I do this during the year it is a little difficult (sticks, little pebbles, etc) and so I just wear some socks to give a little extra protection.

The first run I did  this season was earlier this week, and I noticed that I run completely different barefoot in terms of power generating force while sprinting and going down hills. to go faster in shoes, or to run down a hill, i normally can let the shoe take the impact differently than when I want to run faster barefoot, which requires me to dig in the ground a little more with my toes or pick my legs up higher on a steep hill to give my foot clearance (actually this is true going up and down). Also, I noticed afterwards that my left calve felt a little tight (but it has been that way much of the week anyways) but overall I felt better than some of the road runs I've done in shoes, and had also had no problem running getting down to 5:30 pace on a few sprints. This morning the arch of one foot hurts a little since I caught a few bad stones on it while running barefoot yesterday.

I'm sure running in the five fingers you wouldn't have to worry about the roughness of the road and such, and could probably go longer and faster, but you could probably do just as well to find a nice field or dirt trail and run around that barefoot or in socks, or a foot wrap to get the benefit or what the five fingers can do. Sasha doesn't do much cross country running, so the five fingers work better for him. I wouldn't even consider running on road barefoot unless I had something like the five fingers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: