Fast Running Blog
June 30, 2024, 12:56:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between treadmills and road runnning  (Read 6499 times)
Pratap
Lurker

« on: November 24, 2008, 07:11:12 pm »

I can run about 7-8 miles easily on a treadmill but on the road I get tired by 3-4 miles. Also maintaining a brisk pace (like 7 mph) is not possible on the road, but easier on the treadmill.

Since I am getting the same exercise on the treadmill, is there any advantage/disadvantage over the treadmill vs road running? I know a lot of people are biased towards what they are doing and that road running has benefits such fresh air and scenery but can someone tell me about the exercise benefits/

Thanks

Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:55:44 pm »

Well, if you race, then you want to train how you race.  Road running helps more with road racing than treadmills do.  You do need 1-2% elevation on a treadmill to make the effort equitable to road running, and there are some form differences.  I think it is good to mix the two.
Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:01:21 pm »

I don't know the specific answer to your question.  I do know that I also can run faster on a treadmill than on the roads.  And I do know as I get faster on the treadmill, that I get faster on the roads, so I think it's a good training mechanism to get faster.  Just set it to a specific speed and force yourself to stay with it.  On the roads it is of course much easier to slow down.   But I agree with Michelle, to get optimal results, if you're racing on the roads, do most of your training on the roads, supplemented with once or twice a week on the treadmill.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:01:01 pm »

I think it depends on the calibration of the specific treadmill.  If the calibration is off, you can feel like you are running faster than you are, or just the opposite.  It's sort of like someone running with inaccurate mileage markers but basing their times on that.  Being someone who spends an awful lot of time on a treadmill (almost exclusively outside of marathons), I think it is too simple to say you need to adjust the incline 1% etc. to have the same effort for outside.  For example, depending on the season, you may be running in hotter conditions inside.  You do not get a tailwind, and outside you may be running downhill. 
Josse

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:26:40 pm »

I can run about 7-8 miles easily on a treadmill but on the road I get tired by 3-4 miles. Also maintaining a brisk pace (like 7 mph) is not possible on the road, but easier on the treadmill.

It is the opposite for me.  I find it so boring to run on the treadmill, the miles just drag.  Compared to the road they just fly by.  I find it easier to run faster on the road as well.  I do feel that you use differant muscle on the treadmill vs. road.  My legs/ knees have to get use to the treadmill.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »

These are obvious, but I like using my TM on those days that I don't want to run in adverse weather or at night.  The TM itself has made me more fit over time because I can now run at times I would have usually blown off for whatever reason.  The mill was also beneficial during times of injury, particularly calf strains.  In the studies I've read, it appears the biggest downside to using one is the loss of running economy.  Runners usually hold the stance phase longer on a TM than on the road.  So you'll want to keep your form in check and make sure you keep your cadence as high as on the road when you use one.  

Hills, hills, and more hills.  You won't lose fitness on the TM because all you need to do is throw in more incline.  You can make it just as difficult as road running IF the desire is there.  The incline feature is one of the biggest advantages of using a TM since you can make them as long and nasty as you wish.  One thing missing is downhill running, which can be just as important.  Some fancy models have a decline feature, but I've also heard of people using wood blocks under the machine to mimic a downhill run.  
jtshad

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:21:04 pm »

I think the TM is good for maintaining fitness, but not necessary for maintaining economy or efficiency.  I am like Josse and find that I can actually run faster outside, all things being equal due to the interest as well as the air cooling effects and just better mechanics that I use outside.  When the weather is really bad, the TM is a good alternative for me, but it is not the best thing for maintaining optimal training for racing.   However, if running on a TM gets you running by all means use the TM and get the benefits of this great form of exercise.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 02:16:47 pm »

I did some treadmill running recently when recovering from an ankle injury, and I found it to be much more difficult than running on the road.  My running felt different, and I was using different muscles.  I was glad to get back on the road--it feels much easier and I run about a minute per mile faster with the same effort as on the treadmill.  I think it depends on a lot of things--like how your treadmill is calibrated, and what you are used to doing.  Whichever you do more often is probably going to feel easier.  I got terribly bored on the treadmill too.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 11:36:51 am »

I heard that running on a treadmill is not good for a long period of time because it makes your knees unprepared to handle the harder surfaces of outdoor running. Just like the Law of Specificity states, you become good at what you train. So the treadmill will help you prepare for softer surfaces whereas running on the road will prepare your legs for the harder surfaces. Personally, I think that running on a treadmill doesn't help me prepare for racing as well as running on the roads.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 12:59:58 pm »

Yes, I found it to be true that the legs won't be "road ready" if I run on the mill for the majority of my weekly mileage.  My treadmill's platform is fairly stiff though, but the loss of some economy and efficiency is inevitable.  However, I'll take those negatives for the convenience.  I now try to keep the mill miles below 30% of my weekly mileage during the winter months.  I think the mill is terrific for recovery, tempo, and hill work.  I don't find it boring at all because I mix up the speed and incline frequently.  What's boring is getting on the thing, leaving it flat, and at the same speed the whole time.  You have to keep it challenging unless it's a recovery run, but even then I still incorporate hills.  Just my 2 cents.
Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 04:26:15 pm »

I agree, Bob.  When people tell me they find the treadmill boring, I just think they haven't figured out how to make it interesting.  Some of my best runs have been on a treadmill.  And there was a woman from Alaska a few years back who did the majority of her training on a treadmill and she won the Olympic marathon trials.   (What was her name and what Olympics was it?  2004?)  Anyway, I think that proves you can get great workouts on a treadmill and also prepare well for road races. 
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 06:41:57 pm »

Cheryl,

I believe it was Christine Clark in 2000 that qualified.  Yes, the mill can definitely be a runner's friend.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 12:49:17 pm »

I'm late to this conversation, but I was wondering about this topic and found this discussion.

I run almost exclusively on the treadmill these days because it's less ominous for me to get up and do it. Otherwise, I'd probably still be sedentary. Plus I like watching TV while I run (they even have a running channel on every once in a while). In 2005, I lived in Phoenix and was training through the summer for the St. George marathon. Most of my training was on the treadmill. I even did a 20 miler on the treadmill! (that got a little old). I didn't do as well as I hoped, but I think most of it was because I didn't train regularly enough to be fully prepared. I'm now training for a half marathon, and I think I'm going to throw in some outside runs once or twice a week (especially for simulated races). But if I get up early in the morning, and it's a choice between not being able to convince myself to run in the cold and running on the treadmill, I will choose the latter (hopefully). I don't try to equate my times on the treadmill with exactly what I can run outside. But I do use those times to analyze my progress over time.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:21:02 am »

I do not run on treadmill except for tests. But I do recall feeling the sheer horror when they cranked that thing up to 9mph. I thought I was going to fall off. Then I told myself - hey, this is only 6:40 pace, I can do that easily. And after about 30 seconds I was fine. Then when they cranked it up to 11mph it was not scary at all.

So, Pratap, I wonder if this is mental. Get a training partner that is used to running outside and run with him/her. I imagine you'll find that 7 miles on the road at your treadmill pace is not that hard.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 01:25:47 pm »

I've done 2 TM workouts in the last week. And I'll be doing another one today. I'd like to go on record as saying ... "those things blow!" Hope they get those roads cleared better by the weekend!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: