Fast Running Blog
April 30, 2024, 10:34:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Hot foot"  (Read 6444 times)
dave rockness
Posting Member

« on: October 30, 2008, 04:37:24 pm »

Anyone ever experience "hot foot" with running?  Yesterday, I was running on the treadmill and my feet began to feel extremely hot.  I thought perhaps it was the friction of the treadmill, so I took a break.  Today I went out for a run in 30 degree weather.  Within 3 miles, my feet, especial my right foot was absolutely on fire.  I literally took off my right shoe 3-4 times and would press my bare foot on the freezing cement to gain a sense of relief.  Searching online, I found a few articles that deal with this topic suggesting things such as breakdown of red blood cells from high volume of footstriking, potential iron depletion, high mileage for larger runners, etc.  My energy level has been and continues to be "off the charts"...my feet though, did take quite a pounding in the marathon with "lightweight trainers" less than 2 weeks ago.  They were the same shoes I wore today.  Any experience or insight would be much appreciated.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:58:37 pm »

I get a "hot spot" sensation on my left foot only after running hard 9-10 miles in my NB903s.  It feels like it's beneath my fifth metatarsal and on the outside of my foot at the same spot....hard to really isolate it.  It gets progressively worse until I stop running for a bit.....then things return to normal and I can continue.  I don't get the sensation when just easy running in the same shoes.
I've also gotten the sensation once in my Asics 2130s on a long (20+ mile run) late in the run, but not to nearly the same degree, so I'm not completely sure it's the same thing.
I tried loosening/tightening laces, applying body-glide before running, different socks, etc. but haven't yet found the problem.  Shame, because I love those shoes and would've run my marathon in them except for this problem.  I can't see how my episodes are friction related, although they feel like it. 
No insights.....hope someone else does though!
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:37:38 pm »

Dale, interesting...the shoes I ran my marathon in are the NB903s.  Same shoes I wore today...also so beneath my 4th/5th toes on the outside areas of my feet (more on the right side).  Definitely almost a friction like feel.  Hope someone has an insight or two.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 08:58:53 am »

Hi Dave.  I dealt with this early in my transition to running.  It eventually went away, but you can find info on it online at:

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spnerve.html

Not totally sure if this is what you have or not, but the info. might help.  Interesting thing is I use to get it while spinning on a bike as well.  Cyclists call it "hot foot" as well.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:38:13 am »

Dave - you might want to try other shoes to see if the same thing happens.  If not, it might be the shoe design that's giving us fits.  I know I'm going to try 1/2 size smaller next time....I have a good bit of length left between my longest toe and the end of the shoe, and I was wondering if the fit just wasn't quite right.  Could be something to the tight toe-box issue cited in the link Bob sent too.....I know mine fit snugly (one of the features I liked...go figure). 
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 10:44:30 am »

Bob, Dale, your insights are both helpful.  I'll be experimenting with a few things in the next couple of days.  This morning I switched shoes and did not experience any trouble- ran a 3 mile temp at 6:15 pace + 12/100 meter sprints.  The bottom of my forefoot is a bit tender, yet none of the burning sensation experienced yesterday. 
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 03:34:56 pm »

Dave, how is your foot holding up?

dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 05:09:55 pm »

thanks for asking...I actually got rid of the 903's (despite only 138 miles on them).  The foot was tender for the next few days, yet now seems back to normal.  I've been running the past week with trainers that have much better support.  Maybe a combination of the shoes + was still only a week or two out from having run a marathon. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:29:16 pm »

It's a shame to have to throw away relatively new shoes, but it's better than getting injured.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 07:28:09 am »

Look at it from the bright side, now you have some great-new gardening shoes !    Grin
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 10:41:58 am »

I tried the Brooks Beast once; same thing. liek 100 bucks for the shoes, and I wore them 2 or 3 times then they became mowing shoes.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 11:36:47 am »

sadly, i thought this was a thread about james brown.

hot pants + good foot = "hot foot".
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 04:48:25 am »

hahaha
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: