Fast Running Blog
May 23, 2024, 01:30:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you run?  (Read 12181 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 10:27:17 pm »

Clyde, that means there are 2 million Americans faster than you and 45 million people worldwide!  Give yourself more credit than that.  Your 2007 St. George time was the 189th fastest time by a male American.  Even if we say there are 1000 runners faster than you, you would still be faster than 99.9666% of Americans!

All of us runners can be proud of that fact- there were 400,000 marathon finishes last year.  If we assume some people did more than one (cough, cough, Sasha), then the number of people who finished is lower- let's say 300,000.  That means only .1% of the population finished a marathon!  I think it is safe to say that if you ran a 5k, 10k, marathon, etc, that you are in the top 1% of the population speedwise, and probably the top .1% or higher.  Good job, everyone! 
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2008, 04:54:17 am »

Why do I run? That's a tough one. I used to run to race, as I think many younger runners do, but an injury last January opened my eyes and recommitted/refocused my reasons for running. I don't run any more to race. And actually I find races to be exhausting and inherently anxiety-ridden. Instead I run:

- to enjoy the sounds of nature out on the open roads
- to enjoy a healthier and fuller life
- to clear my mind
- to take a needed study break
- to seek spiritual peace
- to foster self confidence

I guess in short, I don't run for anyone else. I run for me.
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2008, 06:39:19 am »

Clyde, I agree running definitely helps with the OCD... Jon that is a fun thing to think about. Trying to set yourself apart from the rest of the population. As you said only about 0.1% of the US population finished a marathon, of that I'm sure some were repeats and some were internationals. But more importantly if you are finishing in the top 1% of that 0.1% and America is only ~4.5% of the world population even if you increase the total finishers 10-fold to compensate for other countries marathoners that would put you in at least the top 0.00045% of the world!
Megan Marie Schedler
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2008, 04:42:05 pm »

I share many of the same reasons as mentioned.
fresh air/being outdoors atleast once a day
i run the early mornings, which i find meditative and good for the soul
Helps with OCD aspects
sense of accomplishment
provides direction
adds to my personality
Obviously the health-related reasons
Racing... and I love when i win my division or place high overall and get a special award, I'm a sucker for those extra cool medals/plaques/trophies.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2008, 06:26:46 pm »

Good question.
Why do I run?
- For health reasons
- Running is "me" time
- Running is pushing my body forward all the time
- Running is letting steam out (work/home)
- Running is feeding my ego in a healthy way
- Running is feeling good at the end of the run

Tyler
Lurker

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 12:41:29 am »

I run so that I can feel justified in posting on the blog. And I want to post on the blog so that I can enjoy Paul's avatar. Rumor has it that is an actual video of him at the end of marathon, which happens to be eerily similar to his dancing. Set to disco lights, you can't tell the difference.

The day that avatar goes away is the day I lose my passion for running.
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 03:55:29 pm »

What a great discussion.  I've actually been thinking a lot about this lately.  As I meet more and more of runners, I am noticing more and more that runners tend to be amazing people.  And I have also come to realize that many of the amazing people I look up for other reasons, run.  There is a positive correlation between running and amazingness.  Seriously!  Why?  I'm not exactly sure, but I think that it has something to do with being fully engaged in your life.  I remember the first time James ran the St. George Marathon.  I was utterly convinced that he was crazy.  But I was impressed at the expo by the sheer number of people who all want to do this, and their EYES...it was like they all had a fire in their eyes.  The thought came to me that these people are really awake, they are truly and gloriously alive inside their bodies.  A lot of people it seems, kinda go through life half asleep--just letting whatever happens happen, not really trying to make the most of it.  I think that running wakes you up.  That's what I want.  That's why I run.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 04:34:16 pm »

I run so that I can feel justified in posting on the blog. And I want to post on the blog so that I can enjoy Paul's avatar. Rumor has it that is an actual video of him at the end of marathon, which happens to be eerily similar to his dancing. Set to disco lights, you can't tell the difference.

The day that avatar goes away is the day I lose my passion for running.

Do as you are trained... AND KILL THE MALAYSIAN PRIME MINISTER! I invented the piano key neck tie! I invented it! What have you done, Tyler? Nothing! YOU'VE GOT NOTHING!!! N O T H I N G ! ! !
Tyler
Lurker

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 03:03:15 pm »

Shocked
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:20 pm »

Grin

Sorry if you're shocked and/or confused. I operate under the assumption that everyone has seen Zoolander and knows that my avatar is the character Mugatu. And Mugatu has many hilarious quotes, such as the ones above.
Tyler
Lurker

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 03:52:40 pm »

Haha, no I've been laughing since I read it. Zoolander is classic, although I didn't recognize Mugatu. It makes sense now.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 03:56:20 pm »

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:59:16 pm by Paul Petersen » Logged
Tyler
Lurker

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 04:55:22 pm »

Happy! Happy! Happy!

I recognize him now.
Lisa Paxton
Lurker

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 10:29:18 pm »

I've been running since I was 7. But I didn't truly love it until I ran every day (except sundays), all year round. The more I run, the more I feel the need to run. Perhaps it's drug for me. I run to feel the sun on my face, I run to let my mind explore itself or give it a rest and think of nothing--to just experience the run itself. I run because I like the way it makes my body look and feel. I run because sometimes it's a good excuse to be alone. Or to see people. I run because I like pushing myself beyond what is physically possible for me. I run because not because I have the time right now but because I've learned to create the time for it. I run because I love watching sun rises.

I run because running is me.
Lisa Paxton
Lurker

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 10:30:30 pm »

Ah, yes. And the real reason I run...

I like my running tights. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: