Fast Running Blog
May 28, 2024, 01:45:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Slam  (Read 15525 times)
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 11:03:22 am »

Clyde, I think you should do whatever you think is going to please you and your family.  This coming year will present you with many new opportunities and probably different challenges than you've had in the past.  If you think running the grand slam or different marathons in Utah is what you need to do, than that is what you should do.  I guess, I'm of the attitude when it comes to running and training, I need to find races and set goals for events that I'm going to get excited about.  For example, I really enjoyed training for Boston in 2006 and the miles were easy to come by.  However, the last few years I've struggled getting excited for St. George, maybe it because we run the course so often.  Whatever, you decide just be smart, listen to your body, and try to avoid injury.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 09:44:55 am »

Paul:

I was curious to see how different translators understood the Greek word in question in 1 Corinthians 15:29 that is translated as "for" in KJV and checked several translations in Russian, and Spanish, and one in Ukrainian. I am obviously 100% fluent in Russian, fluent enough to read and converse in Spanish, and can read and understand Ukrainian to an extent, but cannot speak it.

One Russian translation used the word для which implies some generic form of service or a dependent relationship and is roughly equivalent to English "for". The other two used за which in combination with the grammatical form of the word for "dead" that followed unambiguously indicates the translator understood the word to mean "in behalf of". The Ukrainian translation used the word ради which in Russian means "for the sake of". At least in Russian, when you use that word it usually implies you love the person and are doing something out of your way to serve him, you normally would use a different word if there is no emotional bond or connection of some kind. If you dig a little deeper, the root of the word has something to do with making one happy, so literally, to make happy the one you do this for.

All Spanish translations except one used a safe generic word por, which, from my experience with Spanish, is even more generic than the English for. Spanish is not very rich with prepositions. So those do not say much, the translator played it safe. However in one he did not, and was more explanatory. It was called Biblia in Lenguaje Sencillo, or Bible in Simple Language, and it translated the verse as:

Algunos se bautizan en lugar de alguien que ya ha muerto, y piensan que así lo salvarán. Pero si en verdad los muertos no vuelven a vivir, ¿para qué bautizarse?

Which translated into English (my translation, to be verified by somebody who knows Spanish better) would be:

Some are baptized in place of some that are already dead, and think that thus those will be saved. But if in truth the dead will not return to live, for what then be baptized?
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 11:14:40 am »

Clyde,  In 2006 I did 6 marathons in six months and that was fun.  Last year I did 4 marathon's in nine weeks including my previous PR at St. George.  But I've had more fun this year of only doing 4 marathons spread out several months apart, because of how much my times dropped.  It's very hard to train running so many marathons so frequently, and it really isn't that relaxing.

You have a talent right now and your young (I would love to have your talent) ... you can still run 60+ a week and PR I think.  Like Paul said running 2 marathons next year and not putting pressure on yourself is a good approach.   I bet you'll even run better and PR, because there will be no pressure.  Your fitness level is incredible right now.   Running so many marathons close together will make you slower (trust me I know).  I would build on what you've really done this year with just less miles.  Clyde, I believe you have a great opportunity to really lower your marathon times because your so dedicated.  I don't want to persuade you to not do the Grand Slam, because it comes down to what will make you happy.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 04:17:40 pm »

1 Cor. 15:29  is a public display that you've been reborn in righetousness and have repent from sin.  It's an out showing that you believe Jesus is in your heart and your sins have been forgiven.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 04:31:37 pm »

Although I am by no means fluent in Greek, I have taken several courses + exegesis classes.  The greek term "huper" can mean "above" or "over".  Some scholars who taken it in this sense would say folks were literally being baptized "over" or "above" graves of others (perhaps martyrs of the faith).  I disagree with that particular use.  The greek term far more commonly means "instead of " or "on behalf of"...in other words, folks being baptized in hopes of covering others who were not baptized.  In a broader context, I have come to the conviction, through the study of scripture, that baptism is an outward symbol of an inward change (baptism by Holy Spirit). 
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 05:03:35 pm »

Luke 3:21-22

21 Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized and was praying, the heaven was opened,

22. and the Holy Spirit descended upon him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, "You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased."

I believe also that the holy spirit lives inside of us.  That's why Jesus had to leave so the comforter/holy spirit could live within us and perform the works of righetousness.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 05:31:06 pm »

Dave:

According to the LDS doctrine, 1 Cor. 15:29 is evidence that baptism for the dead was practiced by the early Christians at some point. In the latter days the practice was restored and is currently performed in our temples. We believe that while the physical ordinance of baptism is essential for salvation (based on modern day revelation as well as John 3:5), God will not deny salvation to those who never had a chance to be baptized merely for that reason. But at the same time, the ordinance is important enough for Christ himself who was without sin to subject himself to it, and therefore must be performed for everyone who at some point in his life reached the age of accountability and had sufficient understanding to discern between wrong and right. Thus the dead have a chance to either accept or reject their baptism that was performed on earth by proxy.

We also believe that baptism is a physical manifestation of an inward commitment to follow Christ. It serves as a signature on a contract where you commit to be faithful for the rest of your life.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 07:29:43 pm »

Well, back to 5k times, according to Morman doctrine, I would definitely be in need of "baptism by proxy".  Clyde, on the other hand, looks as though he may get that baptism within his lifetime here on earth. 
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 09:10:23 am »

Interesting diversity of topics here.

Clyde...it depends what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to improve your time, it is impossible to do that running 4, 6 or more marathons in a year. Your body simply cannot recover. Look at the elite guys. They run one or two marathons per year and fill the rest of their year with training and shorter races.

However, if time improvement is not your goal and you simply want to do something you find interesting, like a grand slam, then go for it. Just understand going in that you will not see improvement in your times. But if that isn't your goal, then you won't be disappointed.

Sorry to diverge from the ongoing scripture discussion.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:23 pm »

Yeah if I did do it I would be just kind of doing it for fun and to chill out for the year. Then maybe go back into full training mode the year after. But guys just about talked me out of it tonight at running club. I had to come full Circle... get it?
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 10:06:49 pm »

Clyde you really need to just do what makes you happy.  It's your life and we experience different goals in our life that we want to achieve.  The best thing you can do to get your answer is pray about this until you feel in your spirit/heart what's right.  No matter what you decided your still a very talented runner.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 11:59:32 am »

One of the many reasons the Circle exists!
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 04:44:25 pm »

Clyde, you could probably win the Grand Slam running the marathons simply as training runs and not even racing them.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: