Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 11:13:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IT band question  (Read 3606 times)
Brice
Lurker

« on: October 11, 2008, 01:44:02 pm »

I have a quick question regarding training with sore IT band issues.  About 2 weeks ago I notice a small amount of pain on the outside of my knee and deduced it was an IT band issue.  I looked up stretches, iced it after runs and rested it as needed.  This has caused a very unneeded drop in my training, it was sporadic at best before this which I am assuming is part of the cause.  It still hurts slightly when I run.  It onsets around 4 / 5 miles and I have been stopping at that point even though the pain is such I could run through it.  I am a week away from my marathon and want to know if I should give it the week off or try to keep running on it.  My last 2 weeks mileage totals have only been 21 and 15.  I also have an appointment with a massage therapist on Monday to work on the area.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is my first Marathon next week and really want to do my best.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 08:48:06 pm »

You have to ask yourself if running on it will make it worse?   If so then I would not run on it.   I got injured one year about the same time as you and couldn't do much running the few weeks before the marathon.  I still ran the marathon and didn't run the race that I had hoped for, and spent the next 6 weeks recovering from the injury.  So I would adjust your expectations and give yourself the option of dropping out if you are in pain.  There is always another marathon.
Brice
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:31:02 am »

Thanks Josse, I was assuming that would be the answer and I think I have adjusted my expectations.  I just wanted to check with you all to get your two sense.  I did have the massage yesterday and from what I can tell it feels better.  The woman doing the massage said it did not feel extremely tight so that seemed positive.  I think I am going to hit the track tonight and see how a few easy miles on the flat feel.  Thanks again.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »

Now that your marathon is done, its a good time to stretch and take care of the IT band. 
Brice
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:46 am »

That is my goal Smiley  I surprisingly had no problems with it during the marathon.  I was extremely nervous that it would act up but luckily it did not.  Running that race however has re-ignited my desire to run so I will need to show some self control in easing back into it.  I think I may take up swimming this winter since I work at a place with a pool.  I also think I am going to go back and get another massage, that really seemed to work for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: