Fast Running Blog
April 27, 2024, 07:52:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training after injury  (Read 4079 times)
Michael Barnes
Lurker

« on: October 18, 2007, 12:19:30 pm »

I stumbled upon Sasha's blog and subsequently stumbled upon this forum.  I was going to see what kind of feedback/advice I received regarding a stress fracture injury.  2006 was a great year, PRs in every distance, leading up to a perfect race in Chicago.  In December, I noticed some groin tenderness.  After numerous checks for a hernia, everyone seemed baffled and the injury went undiagnosed.  A possible groin strain?  The tenderness bothered me off and on for several months, until I resumed full training in April of 2007.  I was pain free for four months and getting close to PR shape again.  In early August, I noticed some hip tightness (similar to Piriformis Syndrome).  I went out for a routine 5 miler and got stranded at 2.5 miles.  The hip refused to work.  Fastforward through more doctor visits, x-rays, ART, etc.  Bottom line: sacral stress fracture and pubic symphysis stress fracture (this is what was causing the groin issue).  A few months off and the doctor said, "Take it easy!"  The doctor couldn't provide exact mileage numbers as to what "easy" was, which is what I wanted.  I seem to do better/listen when I am given exact parameters to follow.  After never having been injured, I have training questions as to how to build up again.  After 3 weeks of 9, 15, and 18 mpw, I don't know how to progress.  A cut back week?  Everything is done at a slow, conversational pace and being done on hard dirt/grass.  Any advice as to how to progress my mileage, when to add strength (hills), etc.  I am not racing anymore in 2007, but have BIG plans for 2008.  Prior to my injury, I was avg. ~45mpw.  Thanks, in advance, and sorry for the rant!  It's somewhat therapeutic for me!           
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:49:25 pm »

I am currently recovering from a stress fracture as well.  Been running again almost 2 months now.  I cannot give you a lot of help on the running part, as several other people on this blog have a lot more knowledge in that than me.  But I can say cross training worked wonders for me.  For 4 months I biked and/or swam only at least 60 to 90 minutes a day.  Once I decided to run again it was not as bad as I expected.  A week or so of muscle soreness from the running was the worst.  But my cardio was great.  The last 3 weeks have have already set PR's in my weekly mileage.  But the past couple of days my legs have been a bit tired.  So I am backing off just a little.  I guess the old saying ,"too much too soon" may apply here.  Oh, I forgot to mention an elliptical trainer is great too.

You best bet is to join the blog.  Others will read it and give you all kinds of advice and encouragement along the way.

Michael Barnes
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:56:17 pm »

Thanks Scott.  I actually joined the blog some time back, but haven't been the best at keeping it up.  Somewhat depressing to post a bunch of zeros.
With every single step, I seem to be paranoid about the injury reoccuring.  I seem worried the entire run (i.e. "Is that my hip tingling?  Is this surface soft enough?  Am I limping?).  I guess, in time, I will run naturally again.  This is all new territory for me.   
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:11:09 pm »

I am the same way.  Is it my quads or is it my femur crosses my mind constantly.  While I may not follow my own advice, slowly working back to where you were could take months.  But I am a firm believer in doing other things to keep you fit.  The more fit you are, the easier it will be to come back and healthier for you in the end.

Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 04:01:41 pm »

I am some what of an expert on injury, I have had many and worked on a hole lot of them as well (i'm a massage therapist).  I agree with Scoot that you should do some cross training as part of you milage build up, you can look at my blog to see how I am coming back after my receint injury.  If you feel good with what you are doing I would continue building milage.  I cut back on my 3rd week of training usually only when I'm doing higher milage.  It is normal to feel stuff in your recently injured area, but I now how it make you nervous.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 04:04:30 pm by Josse » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: