Fast Running Blog
June 08, 2024, 06:47:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Men's Trials standards announced  (Read 8305 times)
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 12:28:50 pm »

Had I known that 2:22 would be enough this year, I would have reconsidered my decision to not run TCM. However, I agree with Paul that 2:22 won't get it done this year and probably not any year in the next three with these new changes to the OT qualifying. If you look at the entry list (http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/USAMarathonChampionship-Men/entry/status.asp) you will see quite a few folks who will finish in the top 10 and be under 2:22. My training buddy Mike Sayenko will almost certinaly be one of them as he is in great shape.

My reason for not running TCM was because I didn't feel I could OTQ. The 2:22 option isn't likely to materialize so I would have made the same decision.

BTW...TCM has been a yo-yo in terms of times. In 2002, 13th place was under 2:22. In 2003 10th was. In 2004 more than 15 broke 2:22 and the following year in 2005 only three broke that mark. In 2006 11 did and last year under the ridiculous heat, four did.

As for the rest of the final qualifying changes, I think it's great. The best change is the HUGE window. That gives everyone lots of chances to git 'er done.

1:05 is completely impossible for me in the half. There is no way I can run 4:57s for 13 miles. 2:19 is possible but will still be a major challenge.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 12:33:07 pm »

So one small ammendment to my previous post...after reading the regs more closely, I realized that you only have to being the top 10 AMERICANS. TCM often attracts those "second-tier" africans looking for a little prize money. I still think 10 americans will beat 2:22 this year and probably beat 2:21.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 12:46:45 pm »

Sean - agreed. Barring bad weather, I don't see anyone getting Top 10 without breaking 2:20 or so in the next couple years. But perhaps the following year we may see someone slip in.

Also...

Let's say someone trains all year with the focus on TCM. And then the day comes, and the weather stinks (hot, windy, etc.). The person is in 2:16 shape, but can "only" run 2:21 on raceday...but he finishes 5th. It is truly a great performance, given the conditions! And that performance won't be negated just because of bad weather, because he will still qualify (and rake in some cash).

Another thought: I'm pretty sure you have to run sub-2:30 just to participate in the marathon championships. So there is a qualifier, and it's achievable for many. With the excitement generated by all the prize money and ability to qualify, the U.S. Marathon champs might actually become (gasp) prestigious and interesting. Something it has not ever been.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 12:51:55 pm »

The 2:22 provision is for a guy that peaked for TCM, ran well, deserved to run under 2:19, but the conditions were bad, so he could not quite make it. A maybe under 2:22 guy in St. George looks at that and say, well, on a lucky day I might pull this off - I need a good day and I need my competition to get stomach flu or just run some other race. But with the new incentive this won't happen. No shortcut. You still need to be a true sub-2:19 guy to be in the Trials.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 01:47:25 pm »

I don't believe there is a qualifying time for any of the USATF National Championships. I believe you simply need as USATF number. I'll check.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 02:38:38 pm »

Hmmm...I must be smoking crack. I think I'm just confused with getting elite status or something like that. There are no time requirements for running any U.S. Championships.

But there should be.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:15 pm »

The challenge is that they are always (i think) run as part of a larger marathon or half marathon so how would you tell people no?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 03:55:04 pm »

The challenge is that they are always (i think) run as part of a larger marathon or half marathon so how would you tell people no?

Separate start. Like how NYC Marathon starts the elites first.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: