Fast Running Blog
June 07, 2024, 11:53:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Men's Trials standards announced  (Read 8303 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: October 01, 2008, 12:37:16 pm »

USATF page:
http://www.usatf.org/events/2012/OlympicTrials-Marathon-Men/entry/qualifyingStandards.asp

LetsRun.com discussion:
http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2694507

A few things I find very interesting:

1. They changed the standards they originally announced last year. Rather than following IAAF standards on elevation drop (1m/km), they made Boston the benchmark. Thus no course can have a drop of more than 450 ft. Not only does this keep Boston in, but also allows California International and a few other downhill courses remain. But obviously TOU, Ogden, and St. Geo are still way way out.

2. Along with being more liberal than IAAF on the elevation drop, I see nothing about point-to-point course restrictions. This of course, would alleviate problems with Boston, New York, and others. I'm rather surprised at this, but it will definitely make picking a marathon easier. Before it was looking like there would be a list of 10 or so eligible marathons.

3. The qualifying window begins on Jan 1, 2009. That gives people almost 3 years to qualify. This is a much bigger window than any previous Trials. And of course there is a one-day window this Sunday at the U.S. Championships. They've done that before, but never 4 years before the next Olympics!

4. Any Top 10 finisher at the U.S. Marathon Championships will qualify for Trials, as long as they run under 2:22. This will not only bring more excitement and bodies to Twin Cities (or wherever the future championships will be), but also gives some wiggle-room if people get an horrible hot day like last year. Most of our top-tier marathoners historically do NOT run Twin Cities (rather, they run Chicago or NY), and we may see some wildcards slipping into the Top 10. Desperation attempts in 2011 will be interesting, with everyone jockying for position rather than time. Very cool idea.

5. I have not yet seen anything for women. I'm assuming the course restrictions will be the same, but have no idea what they will do with the time standards.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 01:26:49 pm »

Wow.  So 10 guys could seal the deal this weekend at Twin Cities for 2012.  I'll be anyone capable of running close to the 2:22 cutoff just had their give-a-darn meter peg.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 01:56:04 pm »

Interesting that they specifically change the previously stated rules to allow Boston and to eliminate the semi-loop requirement.  And there is no wind requirement.  And they allow a 3 min slower time for just one marathon.  Looks like some marathons did some hard lobbying.

As for the letsrun discussion- I like the FRB discussions more.  Nicer, less hostile.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 02:17:23 pm »

Jon - shut up. You are stupid!! <add token racial or gender joke here> There, now we can compete with LetsRun.

Anyway, I found the softening interesting as well, but just LOVE the concept making the U.S. Marathon Championships actually important, and love the concept making PLACING in a race important. Isn't that what pure racing is all about: what you place? I hope that I can get healthy and fit enough to give Twin Cities a go the next few years.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 03:13:05 pm »

For a guy like you, top 10 and sub-2:22 at TCM is a realistic possibility, especially since there are 3 years you can qualify.  Will the championship always be at TC?

For us slightly slower folks, the combination of requiring faster times and eliminating downhill courses is a nail in the coffin for OTQ.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:42:36 pm »

For us slightly slower folks, the combination of requiring faster times and eliminating downhill courses is a nail in the coffin for OTQ.

Only if you keep that attitude. ;-)

Regarding championship location, it's been at TCM the last several years. But I don't know that it's guaranteed to remain there. From what I've heard, it's a good race and a good, somewhat challenging course.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:03:27 pm »

I like the fact that the USATF official web page for qualifying standards has some typos on it.  (Ie'e nevr had that prblem.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 04:16:04 pm by Paul (RivertonPaul) » Logged
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 04:07:53 pm »

I like the fact that the USATF official web page for qualifying standards has some typos on it.

Typical. Probably because they only want to give their web people upper-$30k. You get what you pay for.

http://www.usatf.org/about/employment/WebDeveloper.asp

Any takers?
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 04:08:17 pm »

Geez, what are women, second class citizens??  Let me know if you see anything for the second half of humankind  Cheesy
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 04:17:09 pm »

The letsrun forum bashing of Utah marathons is, as usual, entertaining.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 04:20:35 pm »

I wonder how many folks decided to against running Twin Cities this year that are now regretting their decision given the Top 10/2:22 cutoff?
We've got a couple of bloggers running Twin Cities....anyone in 2:22 shape?  Given last year's results, that'd be enough to get into the Top 10.  Nothing like some last minute self-imposed pressure to ratchet up the intensity a notch, right?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 04:35:37 pm »

I believe we have bloggers currently capable of 2:22 on that course. However, the field this year is loaded. However, once you get past Dan Browne, Fernado Cabada, and the Hansons team, things get easier. ;-)

2:22 will not be Top 10 this year, unless weather is bad. However, once the big guns qualify, perhaps we'll see more 2:20 types up top? Hard to say. On the other hand, TCM has a great prize payout for people who can run 2:14-2:20. Most people faster than that usually end up in "major" marathons instead.

Michelle - agreed it's not fair for men to know qualifying standards at this stage of the game, but not women. Rumor has it that it will be decided during the Dec. USATF meeting.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 04:36:57 am »

Geez, what are women, second class citizens??  Let me know if you see anything for the second half of humankind  Cheesy

I would sure hope not! I think women are way better runners than me Wink Some of my thickskulled compatriots must see things differently. *throws shoe at the IOC
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 08:53:31 am »

Kiss up!  I like it  Wink
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 10:34:46 am »

Twin Cities we definitely be the key race the next few years.  I wonder how many runners that decided not to run Twin Cities (that are considered at an A elite level) are regretting it now.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: