Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 06:31:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Books PS Not just for the Girls. Anyone can post!  (Read 50570 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 07:03:16 pm »

Anything by Vonnegut is great. I also really love "Catch 22" by Heller. I guess I like the post-modern stuff.
Catch 22 is truly one of the greatest books.  It's hard to actually recommend it because of the language.  The language is true to the scenes, though and the book is great.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 07:10:55 pm »

Ok, no one has mentioned Dickens.  All of his books are good but my favorite is not one of his most famous.  It is Bleak House.  It is wonderful.

Anyone read Ayn Rand?  I love her, though I can't fully embrace her objectivism.  I read The Fountainhead many years ago and just finished Atlas Shrugged.  Good stuff!

Other good reads over the years:  The Poisonwood Bible, The Good Earth, Jude the Obscure, Tess De Ubervilles (spelling?), As I Lay Dying, War and Peace

The prior posts have given me a couple years worth of reading, and best of all, I won't lose this list since it is online!

BTW, really bad book I read this summer:  Magic Mountain-so boring.
Bethany
Lurker

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 07:14:01 pm »

Another book you can all skip- (sorry for those who may have enjoyed it...) Cold Mountain. Just didnt make it for me.

Someone once told me to keep a list of all the books I read- when and if I liked it/disliked it. I just bumped into this list again- buried deep within my computer files. How cool to see all those great books I had forgotten about! I would recommend keeping a list and am recommited to being faithful to mine. Anyway, onto the point- Chaim Potok is an excellent author, I would recommend "My name is Asher Lev" or "the chosen" to anyone. The Alchemist is an all time classic (and a short read as well!) "The Darwin Conspiracy" is an excellent piece of fiction speculating on Darwin and his discovery, I really enjoyed this one. "The Jungle Law" by Victoria Vinton is a good fiction about Rudyard Kipling. "Germinal" is haunting and hard to forget- about Miners and the terrible conditions they have worked under for ages. "A place of shelter" by Jane Kirkpatrick is an interesting read about a cult and "destiny." And finally, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde was excellent. I never knew the full plot of this book and was really glad I read it.

As for suggestions from everyone else- I have seen the Wheel Of Time series around and am curious if it is worth diving into now that Robert Jordan has passed. I enjoy a good fantasy/sci fi fiction every now and then.  Is there anything else out there that is like the Wheel of Time? I also really enjoy historical fiction and am looking for some good suggestions for that genre too!
Thanks for suggesting Les Mis, I have overlooked this book- until now! I am currently trying Catch 22, so far it is excellent.
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 09:27:26 pm »

Michelle - I've read Anthem by Ayn Rand - it was really interesting and I enjoyed the read, but I don't really agree with her ideals as you mentioned.

Bethany - About WoT (Wheel of Time) the first half of the series were excellent, I would definitely recommend them, but just get somebody (or a website) who's read the end tell you how the rest of the books go.  And, unless you enjoy 800 pages of diplomatics, books 10 and 11 are basically unreadable unless you REALLY want to know how it ends (yup I'm in that category - it wasn't fun).
Historical fiction-wise, I've read a few of the books written by Jane Yolen and Robert Harris such as Girl in a Cage, Queen's Own Fool and Prince Across the Water and I really enjoyed them.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 09:12:32 pm »

Update:
In Hawaii I read Slaughterhouse 5.  It was a good book but watch out for the language.  I liked his style and look forward to reading Cat's Cradle.
I read Main Street as suggested in this thread.  It is a good read.  It deals with the dissatisfaction we have with ourselves and others around us and trying to find our purpose in life, especially for domestic females in close knit communities.
I started to read A Fine Balance and it is really good but I forgot to pack it and now I am afraid I won't have time to read it at home Sad
James Winzenz

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2008, 10:08:13 am »

I have a couple more books to add to the pile - Eragon and Eldest, author is Christopher Paolini.  Got Eragon for Christmas, once I started reading it, was done in 3 days.  Then I had to go out and get Eldest.  Now I can't stand waiting for the next book to come out!  If anyone likes fantasy books, like David Eddings, Terry Brooks, etc., they will like these as well.
Bethany
Lurker

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 07:06:17 pm »

I just read a great (and quick) one. Light on snow by Anita Shreve. Its about a daughter and father that find an abandoned baby in the snow and all the consequences that arise from that. Interesting and heart wrenching for a mom who just had (well, almost a year ago now!) a baby girl.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 05:13:24 pm »

Train To Potevka by Mike Ramsdell. He served in the LDS branch presidency in my branch in Moscow shortly after I joined the LDS church. The entire time I had no clue he was an undercover CIA agent fighting the Russian mafia.
Cal
Lurker

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 03:35:01 pm »

Sasha, have you read 'The Charm School' by Nelson DeMille?

Some of my other favorites: Swan Song by Robert McCammon, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, 'Incarnations of Immortality' Series by Piers Anthony, Tom Clancy...
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 09:12:53 pm »

Train To Potevka by Mike Ramsdell. He served in the LDS branch presidency in my branch in Moscow shortly after I joined the LDS church. The entire time I had no clue he was an undercover CIA agent fighting the Russian mafia.

You know, I read this book.  It is an interesting story, but to me the book read like a self published book in that his prose was often unwieldy and not, shall I say, worthy of a repeat book.  Some people write because they have a good story to tell (like this one), or because they are good at telling a story, and then to me the best books are when the story is good and the writing is good.  In my opinion, this book falls into the first category.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

Sasha, have you read 'The Charm School' by Nelson DeMille?

No, I have not.
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 08:50:27 pm »

FYI, the fourth and FINAL book of the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn, comes out August 2nd.

There is an excerpt of The Host on Stephenie Meyer's website. I haven't read it yet, but whoever hosts that site thinks it is better than all the Twilight books. Smiley
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 06:40:44 pm »

Well Mik'L, we know what we will be doing August 2nd, don't we?
ktjo
Lurker

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 03:18:54 pm »

There is a new book out called A new earth awakening to your life's purpose. By Eckhart Tolle.  It is a pretty good book. I am reading it right now and there are some really good insights in the book. It is Oprah's big thing right now and so her and the author are offering a free online, interactive class starting March 3rd. You do have to register for it.   
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2008, 07:13:50 am »

Mik'L, I read the excerpt from "The Host" on Stephenie Meyer's website, and I am HOOKED!  I can't wait to get my grubby hands on that book when it comes out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: