Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 04:15:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Books PS Not just for the Girls. Anyone can post!  (Read 50869 times)
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 07:30:40 pm »

Apparently I am the only man who reads. Or pretends to anyway.

Hang on, now - I love to read as well!  I am a sci-fi/fantasy reader - I love David Eddings, Michael Crichton, Terry Brooks, also love the Harry Potter series, and yes, I love LOTR as well.  My dad used to read them to us (plus the Hobbit) when we were young.  About the only series from Tolkien I could not read was the Silmarillion.  I am the type that, if you put me in front of a really good book, I won't put it down until I am done (thankfully I am a fast reader).  When I was in school, I loved the Claire Bee series, as well as the Black Stallion books.  Also loved the Hardy Boys books.  For good LDS fiction, I love Chris Heimerdinger, and also enjoy books from Lund.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 09:10:04 pm »

Cody- I'll borrow Sahara.  I love reading.

I like LOTR, and Wheel of Time series (sci-fi, easy but long reads).  Also Tom Clancy.  And most biographies and history books. 

For serious reads, I really like many of the classics (Tale of Two Cities, 1984, etc).
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 11:06:52 pm »

and Wheel of Time series (sci-fi, easy but long reads).
I also quite enjoy WoT, and am currently slowly meandering through them again. However, now that Robert Jordan's gone and died on us, I'm not sure how satisfying the last book(s?) will be, since he didn't finish the series. Before he died he dictated the plot and a group of other authors will be writing it - it had better be worth the ten thousand pages I've already read! (But still enjoyed- don't get me wrong.)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 01:59:33 pm »

Agreed about Jordan.  Sad he died.  I had previously read up to book 9 a few years ago, now restarted and am just finishing 4.  Hopefully the last one will be out by the time I get up to it.  I guess his wife and brother (or cousin) are doing the writing and he was very specific with them on what should happen.  Hope it is good.
jtshad

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 02:43:39 pm »

I am a fan recently of Brad Metzler, Nelson Demille, the Harry Potter Series (reading it to/with my 2nd grade son), David Baldacci and John Grisham.  Read "The Da Vinci Code" recently (ok) and "The Legend of Baggar Vance" which was interesting.  My problem with reading is once I get into a good book, it is hard to put it down and I become obsessed with it.
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 08:53:56 pm »

Ok, I really like to read as well but unfortunately do not do it as much as I would like. I prefer military history and such but also enjoy about anything. However, I hate to admit this but I might as well. I just finished reading the book that all of the women are raving about, Twilight. I mostly read it out of curiosity and also because my daughter is really into it and I figure it would give me something to talk about with my teen age daughter, which is not the easiest thing to do as a dad. Ok, let the heckling begin!
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 11:23:45 pm »

Well, I'm sad to say that my dad was the first one in my house to read it... WIERDED OUT!! I might give Twilight a go when I have some more free time - currently I have some time between 4:45 and 5:15 on Friday afternoons. Basically, it'll be a long while.
MikL
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 01:39:14 pm »

I hate to admit this but I might as well. I just finished reading the book that all of the women are raving about, Twilight.

Okay Ted, I LOVE that you read Twilight! I'm very interested in what you thought of it. There are a few other guys on the blog that have admitted to reading it as well, so no worries!  Wink
I'm trying to find a book to capture my interest right now. I have been thinking of reading Wuthering Heights (yes, I got the idea from Eclipse), but I am pretty sure I read it in high school and didn't really like it? Maybe I'll have to give it another try since Bethany seems to recommend it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 02:10:18 pm »

I picked up one of the Twilight books and thumbed through it for a few minutes, but Marci demanded it back so she could read it.  So it is her fault I didn't read it more.
Bethany
Lurker

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 10:00:46 pm »

Mik'L : I would recommend Jane Eyre over Wuthering Heights if you are looking for an entertaining read. It took me a couple go at its with Wuthering Heights (it was good, but Jane Eyre is better).  I also just read Gone with the Wind and it was a lot better than I was expecting.
Wow, I am being passed by guys in reading Twilight. I will get around to it, I will. I laughed out loud when my mom emailed me and told me she had a book I just HAD to read. Yep, Twilight. That book is seriously everywhere.
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 10:35:34 pm »

Ooh fun-books!  I love all genres: fiction, current events, the classics, etc.  Some of my recent favorites: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (truly amazing!), A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey, Thomas Hardy novels, Main Street by Sinclair Lewis, etc. etc.  I also enjoy nonfiction books that study different aspects of modern society, such as globalism, consumerism, the impact of TV, etc.  One fascinating book that I highly recommend is Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam (I think that's the author).  It talks about how important community is, how it improves our lives, and how we as a culture have lost community over the past half-century.  It's a dense read, though! 

I'll give to give these Twilight books a whirl next!
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 10:40:30 pm »

Mik'L: don't read Wuthering Heights unless you like reading about disfunctional families.  Blech!  If you want to read about dysfuntional love, I think Gone With the Wind is one of the more delicious reads on the planet.  Very engaging/fun to read.  Jane Eyre is beautiful and deep, but sometimes a little heavy.  Good book club book.

Shauna, I bet you would like "Watership Down".  Very engaging--and so different.  Covers community and government in an unusual way.  I'm not even going to say exactly what it's about because you'll laugh.  But it IS a great book.

And "Twilight" is a great book for guys to read!  It has a lot of action and suspense--especially the last 3rd of it.  Not to mention you get a secret view into what women really want.  Just try to emulate Edward.  Ha ha.  It should be noted that the hero, Edward, is an amazingly fast runner...
James Winzenz

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2007, 11:55:37 am »

I agree, Watership Down was an engaging read.  Here are some more interesting books I have read in the last year: 

The Count of Monte Cristo (I really liked this book)
The Giver (interesting, bit odd of an ending)
The Mutant Message (wow, really interesting)
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 10:26:08 pm »

My mom read Watership Down and enjoyed it.  I remember the picture on the cover was a rabbit or something, and I thought it looked different.  I can't remember exactly what the premise is, but it was something very different.  I'll have to try it.  And I agree about Gone With the Wind-great book and great movie!

I bought War and Peace while on vacation in August, but I haven't started it yet.  That will take quite a feat to get through.  I read the intro and became intrigued....
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 07:01:16 pm »

Ooh fun-books!  I love all genres: fiction, current events, the classics, etc.  Some of my recent favorites: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (truly amazing!), A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey, Thomas Hardy novels, Main Street by Sinclair Lewis, etc. etc.  I also enjoy nonfiction books that study different aspects of modern society, such as globalism, consumerism, the impact of TV, etc.  One fascinating book that I highly recommend is Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam (I think that's the author).  It talks about how important community is, how it improves our lives, and how we as a culture have lost community over the past half-century.  It's a dense read, though! 

I'll give to give these Twilight books a whirl next!

I have read Les Meserables unabridged probably 3-4 times and it is truly one of the most excellent books out there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: