Fast Running Blog
September 28, 2024, 04:22:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Immodium Advice  (Read 7724 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« on: August 22, 2008, 08:25:48 pm »

Confession time - since my three potty breaks at the Ogden marathon I have been taking 2 Immodiums at about 6pm in the evening before each race.  It has worked like a charm except I felt like I needed to go a bit in mile 13 of the Provo 1/2 marathon.  I was ok but it did affect my desire to pick up the pace in the last mile.   

This evening I forgot to take the pills until 8pm.  So tonight might be the night to take 3 as a test.  Has anyone used Immodium with positive or negative results?  Has anyone used more than 2?  I would think I would need to wait to take the third (bottles says no more than 4 in 24 hours).

Michelle Lowry

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:42:02 pm »

Ya'll are no help at all!!!! Tongue
Darren Tintle
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 09:39:24 pm »

Also, the day before a big run I take Ex-lax which helps dispense the food and then I take 2 pills of immodium.  I have never run a marathon, but it definately works on half marathons for me.

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Yah, no help from us.  I don't mess with stuff like that.  I just don't eat my vegetables the day before and then usually don't have problems at the race.

So, how did it work for you, Michelle?
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:27:10 pm »

Even though I was two hours later than usual it worked just fine  Smiley  No need to go, no side effects from the drugs.
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:04:41 pm »

Michelle,

I took the Immodium a half hour before a 17 mile training run and it seemed to work OK.  Close to the end I was feeling a little queasy but I did not go "critical".  Should I be taking the madicine the evening before my run?  Is this the better way to do it?
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 02:43:43 pm »

Maybe having to take Immodium is a sign there's something else going on?  I had a "going problem" as they say and I finally figured out it was a lactose intolerance issue.  No more cow's milk, no more "going problems".  Something to think about...
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 02:59:35 pm »

Jose- I'm not sure you want to become dependent on this for every run, like Dale is referring to.  Maybe before an occasional race, but that is all.
Jose Jimenez
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:37:29 pm »

Thanks for the advice guys.  By the way, I am lactose intolerant, so I have that issue covered.  I am only using immodium on my long runs (once a week).  I usually don't have an issue, but I did have one long run where my stomach definitely gave out with six miles to go and no porta potties in sight.  I still have nightmares about that run (luckilly I was able to keep my dignity!).  So, now I look for any reasonable method to avoid a situation like that in a long run or a race.  Again thanks for the feedback.
Julie
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 07:04:26 pm »

Hey Michelle,

On my last 4 long runs, I have taken one AD one hour before I run.  So far so good.  I only had to make one stop on my last 20 miler.  And I didn't feel sick the rest of the day like I usually do.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:35:53 pm »

This is a very common issue for runners, and I would not necessarily consider it an anomaly or something to be concerned with unless the stool is liquid, you feel weak, etc. Dogs do it all the time and we never worry. You do not take a dog to a vet or give it a medicine just because it takes a dump a few times a day at inconvenient times and places.

It is a miracle day for me when I can run more than 6 miles from the start without having to go. In fact, I've had days when I was feeling great, and yet had to stop every 3 miles for serious business. I just plan my runs so that I am either near bushes or a bathroom every two miles. Before a race I just make sure not to eat a heavy meal the night before, wake up early enough, and do a quality warm-up to shake up the bowels.
Josse

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 07:06:11 pm »

Oh Sasha that made me laugh!!  I can't believe you are comparing people to dogs.  I do think you have a problem if are needing to go as often as some of you out there are going on a run.  What it is is probably differant for everyone.  But I think if it is to serious- ie. you are need medicanes to make it through runs- I think maybe it is time to see a doc.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 07:31:09 am »

But I think if it is to serious- ie. you are need medicanes to make it through runs- I think maybe it is time to see a doc.

beh. Most docs will just prescribe larger quantities of more serious, more dangerous drugs. Either that or cut you open.
Josse

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 08:37:51 am »

But I think if it is to serious- ie. you are need medicanes to make it through runs- I think maybe it is time to see a doc.

beh. Most docs will just prescribe larger quantities of more serious, more dangerous drugs. Either that or cut you open.
Homopathic docs.  They usually will help get to the root of the problem, if there is one.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2008, 11:40:38 pm »

I wouldn't want to depend on medicine to treat the issue.  I think the best approach is eat a early dinner, and watch what you eat.  Just make sure it's not something that really makes you go, and eat something that digest easily.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: