Fast Running Blog
June 08, 2024, 05:47:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the best winter races?  (Read 5353 times)
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« on: August 17, 2008, 03:37:37 pm »

I DO NOT want to do my usual SLACK off during the winter, so I think I need to enter some races to keep me motivated.  What do you think are the best races, either locally or CLOSE (kids are in school, so we can not travel too far or be gone too long)?  I think I for sure want to run the Painters 1/2 (anyone know when you can sign up for that, I can not find info at the St George website), and I will do some local Turkey Trots (which are the best??), but I am unsure after that!  I would not mind going to Phoenix (2 of my siblings live there), anyone know of some good races there??

Thanks for your opinions!
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 04:19:52 pm »

There is the Nutcracker 5k which is usually the first week of December and has a course around UVU (UVSC) in Orem.  I ran it last year and its a pretty well run 5k for its size.  There aren't alot of races around. 

I would love to do a New Years race at midnight just to start the year right.  Anyone have a suggestion for that?
Jason Haddock
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:40:07 pm »

I ran a crazy 5k in January in Park City put on by www.sport-am.com.  The course was an out and back along the rail trail and you could run the course in running shoes or snow-shoes.   It was pretty fun and the course was pretty.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

Striders does a New Year's midnight run in Ogden.
Jim M
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 04:16:10 pm »

The Salt Lake Tarck Club has their winter series Feb-Mar as well as the Beat the New year run on New years eve. If you are looking for a half or even a marathon in February I highly reccomend Austin, TX.

Jim
Lucia
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:43:36 pm »

The Salt Lake Tarck Club has their winter series Feb-Mar as well as the Beat the New year run on New years eve. If you are looking for a half or even a marathon in February I highly reccomend Austin, TX.

Jim

Jim,
I'm considering running Austin in February as a BQ, but today I read some reviews and some people think it's a bit on the hilly side - would you say it's a fast and relatively flat course?

If I don't run Austin, I was considering Myrtle Beach... anyone has run that?

Thank you!

Lucia
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 02:59:25 pm »

Striders does a New Year's midnight run in Ogden.

I don't know about this year, but last year the race was at about 6PM or so with a dinner afterward. We were safely back to Logan and in bed by 10PM!  Smiley I like to start out the New Year with both (warm) feet in bed.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:19:29 pm »

I'm considering running Austin in February as a BQ,

Lucia, I thought you were running PF Chang RnR Arizona in Jan?  DId you change due to your injury?
Lucia
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:16:17 pm »

Jeff,
Everyone tells me January is too soon, since I just started running again after my injury, so I decided to wait until February...
Jody Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 05:38:25 pm »

Kelli,
There is a 5k in early December in Brigham city which is kind of fun, pretty small but well organized.  Last year I did the SLCTC series (5k, 10k, 15k), it was a good experience but I too much racing every other weekend for me.  I am planning on Painters and then the Spectrum 10K.  I am scaling back this yr.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 06:03:02 pm »

Lucia -- The new Austin course is pretty hilly.  Myrtle Beach can be pretty windy (the part along the water) - other than that I have heard good things about it and it is definitely flat - and cheap that time of year.

Unfortunately, with the exception of Houston, most Spring marathons are on the hilly side (I have been looking for one as well).  What about Napa Valley or Grandma's later in the year?   both of these are supposed to be pretty nice courses - I am planning (right now) on doing Napa Valley.

Nice to see you planning some races again!!
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 07:39:49 pm »

Where is the Spectrum 10k??
Cameron Clarke
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 09:49:15 pm »

Where is the Rectum 10k??

Saint George.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: