Fast Running Blog
April 28, 2024, 09:00:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running for the greater good  (Read 3170 times)
Krista
Lurker

« on: August 15, 2008, 05:34:26 pm »

The recent article in Runners World about Ryan Hall and his "call" to run has forced me to think about my "call" to run and every runner's "call" to run. I can't say I am called like Ryan because God probably calls more talented people, like Ryan, to run a their life's purpose. However, I hate to think that running isn't something I am called to do, or at least something that God wants me to do. I don't pretend to know what God desires, but I certainly hope one of the things is running (and eventually moving back to Minnesota, but I digress). I do know, however, that I am called to serve others - well, because everyone is called to serve. I feel especially passionate about this and realize that running, as much as it gives back to me in terms of all-imcompassing well-being, actually detracts from the time and energy I could be putting towards, umm.... making the world a better place.
Luckily, I've had an epiphany of sorts. What if I, and runners everywhere, started to tithe our running. Tithing is the practice of giving 10% of one's income to one's spiritual community. This practice sustains the spiritual community and also allows it to give back to those in need. Clearly tithing in strictly a spiritual or religious context is not going to solve the problems of the world unless many more people started going to church and actually giving 10%. However, I think that there are enough altruistically-minded runners out there that if we all tithed our running it would spread to other sports, hobbies, and passions. Even just within the running community we can and are already making a huge difference through Team in Training and the many benefit 5 and 10Ks that are everywhere.
A basic model for tithing running would be to donate 10% of our running expenses; race entries, travel, clothes, shoes, watches, Garmins, special fuel that people generally don't eat, like Gu or other gels. I know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but we're runners, we can pretty much turn anything into a habit. Besides, it's worth it.
Or, one could match every race fee or new shoes and give that money to a worthy cause.
The thing about running for the greater good is that runners can choose the specific causes that are close to their hearts. Sometimes I feel bad about not joining Team in Training, but the truth is I feel more obligated towards other causes - like giving children a good education and firm foundation regardless of their background or socioeconomic status.
Maybe there are runners out there already doing this, if so, please post! The more people who are running and giving and thinking about giving while running the better. Imagine all the people... imagine the collective conciousness of the running community running for fast times, personal satisfaction, and a better world. In short, I can't wait anymore for the world to change (thank you Beatles, thank you John Mayer) and I love to run. Why not change the world while running?
Jesse
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 12:17:21 pm »

I recognize what you're saying.  I think one thing that runners already do is to participate in benifit races.  I'd say more than a tenth of the races I run are to benefit different causes: Race for the cure, school and church sponsored races, organ donation, national guard, etc.  Not to mention the fact that promoting running in myself and others benefits long life and healthy living.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:46:27 am »

I don't know if I could afford another 10% from my running stuff to donate to a cause. I do Relay for Life every year and had a couple very close friends, some from this blog donate in memory of people and what I did was run a mile for every 10 bucks I collected. It'd be cool to organize races too and donate the money received to a cause. I would have better success witht hat I think. And would feel like I was actually doing something instead of just donating 10 bucks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: