Fast Running Blog
April 23, 2024, 10:49:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Diet Coke/Pepsi  (Read 10106 times)
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« on: September 18, 2008, 04:53:48 pm »

Scientifically speaking, why is diet coke/pepsi bad for you?  (never mind the addiction aspect- I understand that part)

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:55:15 pm »

I can tell you why it is bad for ME.  I don't get enough sleep when I drink it.  I end up drinking it instead of taking a nap, and I need the naps to help me get the 8 hours of sleep I need. 

As runners, we need to listen to our bodies, and caffeine, especially in american sized quantities, overrides the messages our bodies want to tell us (slow down, get more sleep).

People also say the carbonation is bad for you.  I don't have a firm grasp on the science of that argument, but I already know why I shouldn't drink caffeinated soda.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:56:16 am »

I go through bouts of being "addicted" to Mt Dew.  For me, the biggest issue is the amount of empty calories in regular soda.  I am usually 3-5 pounds heavier than I would like to be when I drink soda.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:07:32 am »

Any food or drink that is not the best for your body among the choices available to you takes place of a better food or drink that your body needs. That should be enough harm already to avoid it even if the substance is otherwise harmless.

I strongly recommend to anybody who is running this shift of paradigm. Stop thinking "why exactly is this bad, and maybe if it is not that bad I can get away with it". Think "I want the best food in my body" instead. Of course, this would require conquering the low-level carnal "I want". Not just silencing it, or making a deal with it, but defeating it decisively with a fatal blow and living the rest of your life above it.
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 12:02:47 pm »

Interestingly enough, right after I posted the question this thought came to me, "Do you want your children drinking it?  DO you let your children drink it?"  The answer was of course "NO" to both.
Thanks to you all for your responses.  I have just heard so much about it being bad for you and was wondering if there was any scientific evidence, or mainly just anecdotal.

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 12:44:49 pm »

Well, I'm not going to get too scientific, but cola is acidic, and how much acid do you want in your stomach? (remember, this stuff is used to clean up car batteries). In general, caffeine is bad for your stomach too, although I don't think soda really has that much caffeine, unless you're drinking it by the case. Also, as I recall, carbonic acid is bad for your teeth.

Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:15:32 pm »

I second the acidity ...  I can't drink much caffeine (I already have too hard of a time sleeping - old age thing I have heard) but when I saw a friend use Coke to clean his old coins that he collected, I pretty much stopped drinking it (it was amazing - one night in a cup of Coke and the coin was completely clean!).

Also, I have heard the argument that as runners, when you want to drink something, you should be drinking water.  Coke is not hydrating (may be even a little dehydrating).  In the days before gels runners used to use Coke as a form of sugar/carbs during their races (defizzed Coke was a mainstay in many diets) -- but now we don't need to do that anymore!

Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:29:20 pm »

Interestingly, ultra runners still drink coke and other sodas during their races. But it's usually a half cup or so, not several whole cans.
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 02:04:02 pm »

Thank you!  Interesting points made, although, our stomachs are acid machines Smiley  Our stomach produces gastric juices that are mainly made up of hydrochloric acid, but also contains small quantities of potassium chloride and sodium chloride.   There are chemicals in certain foods that can help to breakdown the mucosal membrane that protects us from these caustic acids.  Hummmm.... more questions Smiley

adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 06:38:36 pm »

moderation.

look for the bad in anything and you'll find it. over-analysis will fry you more than the coke.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 03:52:19 pm »

Interesting twist:

http://peakperformance.runnersworld.com/2008/06/as-an-endurance.html

"Here's the "Eureka" news: Caffeine stimulates glycogen resynthesis."   

Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 04:18:52 pm »

That is a VERY interresting twist!  I really liked the article.
Do any of you know if restoring the glycogen stores sooner after a work out helps with the "totally spent" feeling after a long run or a race?  Here is the quote from the article I am referring to.
3). After a race or big training effort, chill out. Sure, it's true that your body will synthesize more glycogen in the first 20 to 60 minutes after the race. It might even be true that caffeine will boost your glycogen re-supply process. By all means, have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and/or a tall glass of coffee milk. But unless you're an Ironman triathlete planning for another three-hour workout later in the day, you don't have to rush this process. After all, you're supposed to take an easy day or two after a hard day. Eat well and regularly, and your body will take care of itself. Just follow your natural instincts.

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 10:08:07 am »

There could be many reasons for feeling totally spent other than glycogen depletion. I think it is a mistake to focus on one parameter of the body state, especially on the one that we are not able to measure outside of a lab. It is worth mentioning that even if you did have a lab you would have to perform a biopsy to measure your muscle glycogen levels, something that would be too invasive to do on a daily basis. Instead, the focus should be on the overall body health. For objective evaluation use what you can measure with the means available to you: training pace, heart rate, weight, blood pressure, etc.

Start with a general healthy recovery routine. A set of well-balanced meals made primarily of natural foods. Early to bed, early to rise. A nap during the day when you have a chance. Do not pack the day with too many activities - keep it simple when you can. Then pay attention how different foods and daily activities affect your recovery. See if you can detect patterns. Learn as you go. Remember that in the end every runner is an experiment of one.
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 10:28:33 am »

Thanks Sasha.  I was just wondering about that.  I just am not very hungry the first 20-40 minutes after intense activity.  I have been trying to take a nap every day.  Who am I kidding, the nap just takes itself Smiley  I am working really hard on finding the right food for the morning time.  I am SO hungry before noon.  Fruit seems to be my favorite, with the best energy boost.  I am very surprised at how long it is taking me to get the hang of fueling the increased activity.  It's coming along nicely, though Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: