Fast Running Blog
June 07, 2024, 09:15:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday runs August 2 Provo Canyon  (Read 9661 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:06 pm »

I called the City of Provo and they gave me a phone number I can call tomorrow to get the status of the trail.  The receptionist said last she heard the trail was closed from Nunn's to Bridal Veil today.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »

I'll keep my fingers crossed about the canyon opening. My wife pointed out to me though that even if the fires are out it still may be pretty smoky for doing a long run/workout ... The only "canyon" runs I've done up here have been City Creek (also currently on fire) and Emigration Canyon (not sure if this is too steep for you). Steve and I have had fun the last too times on Emigration and I would be up for repeating that and just adding on some miles at the end to get it to 20... I wouldn't suggest running up and down but doing the same that Steve and I did the last two times of leaving a car at the finish and meeting at the start with 3+ miles of uphill first but then mostly downhill. We could always scratch either of these ideas and do a Rail Trail run closer to Steve. Flattish run but above 6000... I'm just throwing some backup plans out there. In any case, I would be more than happy to still come down to get to meet more bloggers and run a flatter smoke free course even if we can't get up on the Provo 1/2 course. I've already prepared mentally for waking up early and driving down so I'll leave it up to you two Michelle and Josse and meet with whatever you think is best.
adam

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 08:35:43 pm »

I was up in the canyon again today for a work BBQ, and it looked like they've now only blocked off the section from nunn's park to just up past bridal veil falls. So maybe just 1-2 miles of trail. Hopefully it will be gone by saturday.

Everything else was open (including the section from vivian park up to the girl scout camp), and there wasn't any smoke that I could notice.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 08:52:15 pm »

Here's an article about it. 

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/274849/17/

Article summary: The fire was 100% contained as of Wednesday, there still will be some fire activity, especially a helicopter working on dousing internal hot spots.  Adam's right that we may need to hit a trail/the highway between Nunn's and Bridal Veil.

Overall, I think its worth having to hit a trail/the highway for that piece to be able to see the rest of the course, especially the top.  Anyone have a thermometer that measures low temperatures so we can see if the river is cold enough for post run icing?  I have meat thermometer, but other than that, I can't even think where to find a cold one, maybe a pool supply store. . .
Adam R Wende

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 09:25:34 pm »

I had a kitchen one for that very purpose but it didn't like going into the bathtub with me and now reads 98F no matter where I put it. BB&B has a good selection but I won't be able to get a replacement until after our run Sat...
adam

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 09:47:17 pm »

I don't think you'll have any problem with finding a cold river at 6 AM up in the canyon...
Cutika99
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2008, 10:45:27 am »

Hey all,

I will have to pass on the run tomorrow. Erica has a soccer tourney up in Idaho and we are leaving at 4AM on Sat. So, unless someone wants to meet at 1AM for the run, I think I'm out.
Have fun without me and I'll see you all at the Provo Half next weekend.

Steve
Josse

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2008, 01:35:50 pm »

I ran up the canyon today and there was no smoke.  I didn't get the section that was talked about so I don't know if it is still closed but we can always hop on the road or there is a trail across the street for that section.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2008, 01:47:50 pm »

Sounds good. I'll plan on being there unless I hear otherwise.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: