Fast Running Blog
June 24, 2024, 06:17:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday runs August 2 Provo Canyon  (Read 9667 times)
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« on: July 28, 2008, 07:38:53 am »

Adam Wende is coming down from SLC to join Michelle and myself for a run up and down Provo canyon (20 miles).  I think we will throw some fast stuff in but I don't know what the plan is for sure.  We would love for others to join for the fun times.  We are going to meet at the parking lot at the mouth of Provo canyon at 5:30am.  Let us know if you are joining so we can look for you.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:40:54 am by Josse » Logged
Adam R Wende

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:47:24 pm »

Josse, You shouldn't have dropped my name... you just ruined your chances of having anyone else show up Cheesy
Cutika99
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:05:41 pm »

I would come, but not if Wende is coming.
Josse

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 04:19:34 pm »

Oh um, I mean the cool Adam is coming Wink
adam

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:34:03 pm »

Oh um, I mean the cool Adam is coming Wink

Hey, I haven't confirmed my saturday run plans yet!!!
Cutika99
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 03:45:06 pm »

I'll be there. Where exactly is the meeting point?
Josse

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:19:54 pm »

parking lot below the gas station at the mouth of the canyon.
adam

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 02:41:51 pm »

Josse, I was up running in provo canyon this afternoon and the sheriff has a road block 2.5 miles downhill from vivian park (3.5 uphill from the gas station parking lot). No one is allowed up past that point.

The forest service told me that the road trail would be closed off, and that you can pass the road block (which is really annoying to do--lots of police tape and barriers), but you then have to immediately turn off onto the bonneville shore line trail (about 100m from the road block) and stay off the road. If they catch you on the road you'll get ticketed.

I don't know how long it will be like this though. Probably until all the fire hazard is gone.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:49:17 pm »

Is there a fire, or just a fire warning? I know City Creek is burning but I didn't know Provo canyon is also burning?
Is the limitation for auto traffic only or also foot traffic?
If anyone is in the area please let me know before I wake up at 4am on Sat to drive down for no run...
Thanks, Adam
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:11 pm »

Adam:

If you find out the Provo Canyon is blocked, you can always run up the glorious Squaw Peak Road, and then back down. It will prepare you for St. George even better.
adam

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 03:29:38 pm »

Bridal Veil Falls is burning (or at least was still burning as of monday). They are dumping water by helicopter on the area.

Everything was blocked in that area. I ran past the road block along the normal trail and the forest service stopped me immediately and basically told me to turn around, keep running and get a ticket, or get on the bonneville shoreline trail.

So unless they clear the road block by saturday morning, once you go up the canyon 3.5 miles on the trail you'll have to turn around.

Adam R Wende

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 03:38:29 pm »

Adam, Thanks for the details.
Sasha, There is something ominous in the “tone” of that post. I think I should be afraid, be very afraid…
Everyone planning on coming down, I guess the main thing is that we all still know where to meet in the early AM of this Saturday. I’m assuming the gas station is somewhere on 52 (E800N) just before 189 (E Provo Canyon Rd), does anyone know what gas station it is? Also, let me know if everyone is up for Sasha's alternate or if we should reschedule...
Josse

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 03:58:28 pm »

I will try and find out about the restrictions.  If we can't go up then we can run in the other direction.  As for the gas station get off the 8th south exit and go east.  This road takes you to the mouth of the canyon where the gas station is located.  We park in the big parking lot just below the gas station. 
adam

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 05:41:12 pm »

The gas station is called Will's Canyon Stop. There is also a Subway right there.

Drive through the gas station to the back of it and there's the parking lot Josse is talking about.  You'll also see a big white banner about the TrailRun Marathon Relay Sept 6.

Squaw Peak Road = long winding climb of death w/ a nice view at the top.

I may or may not come. If this back issue clears up I want to jump into a 5k race saturday. If it doesn't I can still run 7-8 min pace ok for 10-12.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:46:37 pm by adam » Logged
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 09:58:54 pm »

I say we wait to see if it clears, and if it doesn't I'd be willing to drive up to SLC this week and do a similar canyon run so long it isn't too steep.  The great thing about provo canyon is we can run up and down without doing a death march up (like squaw peak).  I'd like to do this provo canyon run this week because of the 1/2 marathon, but its up to the firemen at this point.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: