Fast Running Blog
September 29, 2024, 05:21:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the "Perfect" Taper for a Marathon  (Read 7483 times)
Ken Carlson
Lurker

« on: June 25, 2008, 12:34:10 pm »

I would like to tap into the vast experience of marathon runners on our blog, to learn different opinions about When to do your last long run before a marathon? What should weekly miles be during the month leading up to a marathon? What is the longest run that should be done before a marathon? I have been running for about 15 years. I have completed St. George 8 times with my best being 2:51 and my slowest 3:45. My weekly mileage is between 65-80 miles. Sooo Help me out here. Waiting for your experienced advice. Thanks, Ken
Cheryl Keith
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:37:28 pm »

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm interested in how you were able to go from a 3:45 marathon to a 2:51.  How was your training different for the 2:51?
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:46:46 pm »

I've actually never ran a marathon, but I've read a lot about them. From what I have learned, it seems that you hit your peak mileage 2-3 weeks before your race. That is only one training plan though. I'm sure that there are a lot of differing views on this.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:14:19 pm »

Ken

I'm definitely not one of the most experienced marathoners (you have more marathons than me), but I have heard a number of different philosophies and have tried a few myself.  The short (and not real helpful) answer is that the "perfect" taper is the taper that allows you to run your fastest marathon.  This would mean you have to balance rest and injury recovery vs. loss of physical fitness and mental sharpness.  Each person is different.

The most conservative route is to do your last long run (~20 miles) 3 weeks before the race- rule of thumb is 1 day recovery for each mile (i.e. 14 mile long run 2 weeks out), though I think this is overly conservative.  Then you cut your weekly mileage each week- I've often heard do 80% normal mileage 2 weeks out, 60% 1 week out, and 40% the week of the race.  This would be especially beneficial if you are feeling real beat up or fighting injury.

Less conservative would be a 10 day to 2 week taper.  Still do your long run 3 weeks out, but only start cutting mileage 2 weeks out.

Least conservative is a one week or less taper.  Do normal mileage up till the week of the race, then do a very easy week.

For my marathon last fall, I did 76 miles 2 weeks out (18 miles long run), ~50 miles 1 week out (11 mile long run), and 31 miles the week of the race and it worked fine for me.  My mileage had been 75-85 miles, with a peak of 96.

You just have to base everything on how you are feeling.  I know Sasha does short or no tapers, while some people do a full 3 weeks.  If you err, err on the side of resting a bit too much and being healthy.  But if you feel fine, do a shorter taper.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:30:38 pm by Jonathan Allen » Logged
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 01:33:02 pm »

For years I always followed the 3 week taper with doing the last long run 3 weeks out.  But I never fell that great in the marathon, to rested.  So this year I have gone to a 2 week taper and like it (in fact my best marathon I didn't taper at all and was the highest mileage week I had done to that date).  I think you have to really do what is best for you at the given time.   I don't think there is a "perfect" taper other wise we would all be smokin on the marathon;)  I would go back in your logs and see what works best for you.  I know with myself the long taper takes away my mental edge and when the marathon come I don't even feel like racing it.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 01:37:42 pm »

I am primarily a 5K racer l, so my taper is totally different, but I've done hard workouts very close to big races, and it didn't affect me at all. I know the marathon is a lot different, but I think that as long as you recover enough, the workouts shouldn't affect you too much.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 01:42:45 pm »

Josse- for your shorter taper, what did you do long run wise?  How long, and when (for your last 3-4 weeks)?

Steve- yes, 5k's and marathons are entirely different animals.  There is a reason elite runners can only peak for 2-3 marathons per year, while you can go all out on a 5k multiple times per month.  But it is true that you want to allow enough time to recover.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:47:53 pm »

Ken:

Try a 3 day taper. Your mileage is low enough that if you start tapering too early you may lose some aerobic fitness. Also, you appear a bit anxious and apprehensive about the race. When you feel this way, it is better not to taper until the very last minute. You are able to relax better.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 05:06:04 pm »

Jon- 4 weeks out I did 78 miles with a 22.5 mile long run, 3 weeks out I did 75 with an 18 miler, 2 weeks 60.5 with 13 miler and week of I did 32 miles.  I ran a 3:17 at Ogden and a 3:15 a month before with no taper, but no pressure as well.   These two marathons are some of my best esp. in the spring.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:11:58 pm »

I think it depend on the runner.  But a lot of books and information point the taper at 2-3 weeks.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 03:24:54 pm »

Ken:

Try a 3 day taper. Your mileage is low enough that if you start tapering too early you may lose some aerobic fitness. Also, you appear a bit anxious and apprehensive about the race. When you feel this way, it is better not to taper until the very last minute. You are able to relax better.

No offense to Sasha, but I would only try this if you want to see how miserably you can crash in a marathon. There is nothing low about your mileage. If you normally do 3 weeks try 2 weeks and see if you feel better. Then maybe try 10 days or a week if you really want to push things. Unless you are a freak of nature you will not preform optimally with a 3 day taper.

Sasha: Have you done a 2-3 week taper in recent history? I know you feel it hurts your performance, but I truly believe that you could run a OTQ (2:22) at St George if you quit running TOU 2-3 week before it.
Ken Carlson
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 10:24:21 am »

Cheryl,
To answer your question, my first marathon was done just because I wanted to do one marathon in my life. After that I decided that I liked this running thing and got busy training. My first year for the marathon saw training miles at around90-120 miles per month. I trained a lot for 10k and 5k races. My 2:51 year still did not have the training miles that i needed. In my first 3 years of marathons my time went from 3:45 to 3:15 to 2:51. I am hoping that with the increase in mileage this year I will break 2:40. I am currently running 70-80 miles a week.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 03:06:52 pm »

Ken you'll be there for sure!  Are you running something before St. George?
Ken Carlson
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 09:07:06 pm »

Dave the only races that I can run and time are the Bryce Half/5K, I run the 5k, The Freedom Festival 5 or 10k in Provo, maybe the Trails River 5K. I have to do most of my distance testing on my own. I am getting ready to map out the 3 months up to St. George as far as workouts go. Once school starts it will be a little tougher, you know what I mean. What about you? What are you going to run between now and then?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: