Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 02:26:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running & Coordination Loss  (Read 7280 times)
Nick Miller
Lurker

« on: June 23, 2008, 02:44:50 pm »

Is this whole topic a myth? I have heard that vertical leaping ability, agility level and other physical attributes regarding body coordination can diminish significantly through distance running. Having played soccer nearly all my life, I can say with certainty that it does require more coordination than running does, but can running actually hurt coordination level? Thought: Running is a repitive, linear motion, teaching muscles to strengthen in "one dimension," whereas other sports achieve more evenly distributed muscle gain through a variance of motion.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 03:57:41 pm »

I think that while there is some nuerological loss in coordination due to the reasons you listed, much more is probably lost when we do not practice that sport or skill because all we are doing is running!

I lost alot of soccer skill when I quit practicing soccer. While I was practicing soccer and running though, the skill remained.

Seb Coe incorporated agility type runs into his training. Jog at an angle to a cone 30m away, then round it and sprint to another 30m away, round it and jog to the next, etc. Maybe this to counteract the one dimensional running affects?

Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:18:01 pm »

I have noticed that in a lot of the articles that I read about elite runners, they all seem to have some sort of training that counteracts one-dimensional running. For example, I read about how one athlete does the ladder drill similar to what football players do to improve her lateral speed.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:04:43 am »

Just play ultimate frisbee!
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:22:02 am »

Yeah! Ultimate is definitely the way to go if you want to compliment your running.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 03:48:55 pm »

Ya Ultimate Frisbee is awesome.  I played on the college team several years ago and it's great for coordination.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 08:19:01 pm »

It's too bad that ultimate isn't more popular of a sport than it is. It's a great way to get a workout on soft, low impact grass.
Nick Miller
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:34 pm »

Just come to Boulder - the hippies up here love their ultimate frisbee! I dodge those flying discs every day walking to class :-)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 10:07:14 pm by Nick Miller » Logged
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 10:09:02 pm »

Hmm...too bad Utah county isn't like that.
Wieser
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:21:17 pm »

Interesting Post
I started running and i think i loose some of my soccer skills and intelligence. I agree that soccer has moves on a multi-dimensinal level. Messi performs this in the highest art; any i am not sure whether soccer is good or bad while training for a race; the injury risk is high?
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:13:26 pm »

try trail running.  It is all about coordination and awareness of body in space!
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 07:46:19 am »

Yes, sport specific coordination will be lost and so will power.  I played basketball and lost my hops and cutting ability.  However, plyometric training brings it back, but takes longer to do so as we get older.  The muscles don't fire as quickly and we lose muscle mass as we age.  Sports specific training is important, but seems even more so the older we get.  We lose that "all around" ability to some extent.
Wieser
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 12:40:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: