Fast Running Blog
May 22, 2024, 11:35:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas prices are way to high, Go for a Run instead of firing up the old Studebaker  (Read 2052 times)
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« on: June 21, 2008, 04:22:52 pm »

I was talking to a friend today that is a reporter at The Salt Lake Tribune and we wondered how the high gas prices effect our running.  The question was asked, "Do you run more now to places you might have driven before gas prices went through the roof?"  I knew today I had to do a good warm up before my race, so instead of driving to the park and warming up, I ran there before the race.  Last week I did the same thing for Heart of Holladay 5K.  For me my Durango gets about 8-10 MPG, If I drove there it would cost me $10 round trip.  If I save a little here and there it will add up to a new pair of shoes in no time. Lips sealed

I know many of you are adapting your training too.  Do you run to the bank?  Run to young womens?  The post office, the Park to play with the kids, Dinner at Dad's for fathers day?  What have you noticed as a change?

As distance runners we are fortunate that we can get places if we need to by running there.  He is writing an article about us "Distance Runners" using our feet as a mode of transportation instead of the car.  Give me some stories, he will be checking the discussion forum to see what we are up to.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 01:42:01 pm »

Well, I don't have a car anyways, so it makes it even easier to run to places. I think that the only hard thing is that sometimes I've already gotten in enough mileage in for the day, so I'm sort of obligated to either bike there or get a ride.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 04:09:35 pm »

We try to plan out our drives and activities so that we can hit as many places as we need to without having to make seperate trips.

If I have the time I am more inclined to walk to/from work. Today since there isn't alot of time, I will do my second run as soon as I clock out and end it at home. Or, if I am going to the gym to lift or swim, instead of driving over, and then warming up on something, I will run over/back to get the warmup/cooldown.

Basically, if you don't really need to drive, then don't drive. It's not that hard to walk the half mile to the store. Thats only a ten-fifteen minute walk! I understand if you have a disability or injury that keeps you from doing so, but much of the time, if it is something close by, you'll save all of 2 minutes driving over as compared to walking/running, and it costs you more!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: