Fast Running Blog
June 04, 2024, 11:50:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: GU's  (Read 6032 times)
breanna cobler
Lurker

« on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:53 pm »

I'm sure many of you have tried different gu's. I was just wondering what some people's favorite brand/flavors are. Normally I use either tangerine or mocha Power gels because they have a double shot of caffiene, but they don't tast all that great. What do you guys prefer?
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 01:00:57 pm »

I would have to say my favorites have been the GU Orange Burst, HammerGel Raspberry or a couple of the fruity flavored Carboom! ones (which I don't remember specifically, but the sure tasted good at mile 21 of a marathon).
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »

Vanilla Orange CarbBoom is my favorite. I've tried just about every available brand and it has the consistency I prefer the most and the best taste.  Gel is one of those things, like shoes, that just depends on the individual's preferences as much as their needs. You have to try a lot to find one you really like.
James Winzenz

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:47:05 pm »

I have tried different gels, and to be honest, I actually like the vanilla powergel the most.  It is very thin, goes down easily (especially with a bit of gatorade) and doesn't give me a bad taste in my mouth if I burp.  Can't say the same about some of the other gels.  I used to use clif shot, but they are just too thick.  I have heard positive things about the carbooms being thin as well.  Bottom line for me, I don't want something that has caffeine in it, and I want something that is nice and thin so it goes down easily.
adam

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 02:29:32 pm »

I've never actually used a GU before, but I realize that they are pretty standard now.

Have you all really noticed a difference after taking them? Is there anything in there that can't be handled by a normal sports drink during the run?
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:47:15 pm »

I prefer the hammer gels, easily digested and easy on the stomach. They make a great recovery drink too, Recoverite!
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 04:03:20 pm »

I like the Vanilla GU much more than the Vanilla Powergel.  I like the consistency and flavor better.  It has a single shot of caffeine, which is enough for me.

Adam - I like to count on GU for my carb intake because it's easier for me to squeeze GU in my mouth than to try to get 100 calories of Gatorade.  I am not very good with the paper cup.
Josse

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 04:31:33 pm »

I prefer the hammer gels, easily digested and easy on the stomach. They make a great recovery drink too, Recoverite!
That is what I use too!  it doesn't make my stomach cramp up and it doesn't have alot of sugar in it.
adam

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 05:47:52 pm »

Adam - I like to count on GU for my carb intake because it's easier for me to squeeze GU in my mouth than to try to get 100 calories of Gatorade.  I am not very good with the paper cup.

That makes sense.  But don't you still have to take the GU down with some drink so I doesn't cause stomach problems? Or is that just individual prefrence?
Adam R Wende

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:08:45 pm »

Breanna, I tend to stick with plain GU or vanilla bean for some caffeine. I can't stand the PowerGel Tangerine, though I too have had it for the "double" caffeine. I actually started back in the day when PowerBars were still the intake of choice but find GU easier. I prefer GU over Gel because of the texture. I actually "chew" the GU to help it go down and to prevent myself from choking on it. Hope this helps. The best is to practice taking some during long runs to see how your stomach reacts. The mocha/chocolate/cinnamon apple etc. all gives me stomach problems...

Michelle Lowry

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 07:28:01 pm »

That makes sense.  But don't you still have to take the GU down with some drink so I doesn't cause stomach problems? Or is that just individual prefrence?

Yeah, I take it right before a water station, but most of the water/gatorade goes down my shirt, but I do manage to get enough in to wash it down and help it absorb.  I never miss a water stop because I don't get much at each one.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:18:42 pm »

I just take whatever is offered and have never noticed a difference.  I don't really buy them much, just take them at the aid stations.  No preference on brand/flavor.
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:01:18 pm »

Gels have had many studies done and the most recent one I read showed you need to consume about 6-8 oz. of fluid with them to make them effective.  I have almost always use the tangerine power gel.  I hate it.  In fact it makes me gag most of the time.  I do one 20 minutes before the start of a marathon.  I don't use them much during the race.  I like other things to get me through, ie water, gatorade, vaam, bananas.  A couple years ago I was rushed for time at the start of Top of Utah, took my gel to fast and started throwing up.  On minutes before the start.  It took me several minutes into the race to get my stomach to relax.  So beware, never use anything you haven't trained with.  I once was on a long run and very depleted, I took a gel about mile 16 with a quick shot of water.  I was dragging at that point and for the next twenty minutes.  It was like a second wind when it kicked in.  It took almost exactly twenty minutes,  And I could feel the change.  So now I use at least one in my marathons.  I guess I am a little wery of mixing things up too much.  I have used them now for so long, I would be afraid to run one now without using it in my routine.
My wife likes the vanilla bean GU and I stole one the other day from her stash, it was like cheating... Didn't taste like a gel, but more like eating a runny marshmellow.  I will try them on a couple long runs to see if it works the same.
James Winzenz

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 01:02:37 pm »

That's what I like about the vanilla ones - not much taste, usually pretty runny, goes down easy.  I have just had really good luch with the vanilla powergels, partly because I can buy them at my local grocery store!  I always take a swig of gatorade with them and swish them around in my mouth, then just swallow with the gatorade.
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 08:03:42 pm »

I also prefer Gu.  I like vanilla bean, chocolate, and espresso sometimes when I need the extra caffeine.  I have used powergels at marathons and they went down fine.  For a real treat, try the chocolate mint gu.  It's a limited edition flavor that they sell in the wintertime.  Unbelievable!

I almost never eat a Gu before a run.  But they go down well during a long training run or race.  I wash them down with water.  A Gu + sports drink at the same time is just too much something, probably sugar.  During races, I drink sports drinks at every stop unless I am taking a Gu.  i have also tried the sport beans.  They taste good, but it's too much trouble to take them out of the packet.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: