Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 08:40:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing my template  (Read 4441 times)
Shauna
Lurker

« on: June 12, 2008, 01:56:03 pm »

I want to change my template to reflect mileage at easy pace, 400m, 800m, mile, 5K, 10K, half-marathon, etc. (like Argentine Rocket's blog).  I tried to do that, and it only gave me two template options.  How do I change it?  Thanks.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:25:30 pm »

The reason you cannot change is is that the geek template does not have cross-training miles, and your current one does. I could make a new version of the geek template with cross-training miles as well. On the other hand, I did call that template "geek" for a reason. I have a hard time already figuring out how much of my run I spend in one of the 4 zones I am categorizing on my template (easy, marathon pace, threshold, VO2 Max) because the pace varies enough during a run to where I could be all over the place during something as straightforward as a tempo run. And that is with only 4 zones. With 12 the probably of actually being in the wrong zone is much higher. To tell you the truth, I rarely even look at my zone breakdowns when analyzing my own training, and when looking at others I rarely bother because people mis-record it enough to where the numbers often do not reflect the training reality.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:47:21 pm »

Is there a way to eliminate this lack of backwards compatible format?  I think a lot of people are not sure what format they want, then once they start blogging want to change to a "better" one for them but cannot.  For example, I know I personally would not care if I lost my breakdown of "Threshhold miles, VO2 max miles", etc.  As long as my written entries and total miles were maintained for my old posts, I would be happy.  Or instead of specific formats, could you choose in your blog options what categories you want displayed by checking boxes (i.e. easy miles- check; hard miles- check; cross train miles- check; V02 max- no check, I don't want it).  That way Sasha wouldn't have to keep making lots of formats.  Just a thought.  Personally, I want to change mine to only "Running miles, Cross train miles, and total miles".
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 03:09:26 pm »

Yeah, I guess I don't need that much breakdown.  I wouldn't even know how to calculate VO2 max and threshold pace (I always forget and just pick one).  Easy vs hard or fast vs slow should be good enough for me.  Anything from 400m to half-marathon pace is going to be "hard" anyway.  I don't have that option in my template options, though.

You'll have to forgive me-I am completely computer illiterate.  Being able to blog is a technological miracle for me!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:26:45 am »

Jon - that would require work, which would take time. As you may be well aware, software development is a complex process. When you start changing things around in a bad place, you can easily open a large can of worms, both in the code, and in the user interface. And the template code just happens to be that bad place. Which I would have had fixed had the availability of programming resources matched the urgency of the fix.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 01:45:48 pm »

I don't think this is worth much time, importance wise.  If it isn't reasonable, you can just tell us "no".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: