Fast Running Blog
April 29, 2024, 06:08:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheese  (Read 11614 times)
Lulu
Lurker

« on: October 03, 2007, 09:25:01 am »

So since Lybi hasn't yet bitten on Sasha's piano question, I would like to start a discussion for both genders about cheese. I have noticed on several people's blogs that they mention they like cheese. Well, I LOVE cheese, and don't think I've met a cheese I didn't like. So post your favorite kinds of cheese so I can try some new ones.

My current favorites:
Port Salut
A brie called Frommage Affinois
Very aged English Farmhouse Cheddar (like 15 year, when I can afford it)
Lemon Stilton (dessert cheese)
Wensleydale with cranberries (another dessert cheese)

I am looking forward to trying some new ones.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:35:48 pm by Lulu » Logged
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 11:59:40 am »

Smoked Gouda!  My absolute favorite!
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:46:00 pm »

Cheese is definitely near the top of the favorite food list in my home. In fact years ago when my current 17 yr. old was in 4th grade and they did a project describing what they wanted to be when they grew up he was proud to say he "wanted to be cheese taster in the cheese factory"

That being said after seeing Lulu's list of exotic cheeses I've never heard of, I'm feeling like I'm still quite a cheese newbie. I can say that one of my favorite post-run foods (right up there with bananas) is regular old cottage cheese, preferably the 1% variety. Also in our family somehow years ago we got into the tradition where at our house for Sunday dinner we almost always have grilled cheese sandwiches w/ beans 'n bacon soup (you have to dip the sandwich into the soup). Yes I know this goes against all tenets of the Sasha diet but if I were to try to break this tradition I think my family would boot me out the door. My wife Kim and I have been trying to make small steps to make things more healthy by using less-fatty cheeses, less butter, and going with tomato soup.
Sarah Pachev
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:36:31 pm »

LuLu...Sasha thinks you are this amazing techno girl for posting on the forum so I'm going to try it.  I LOVE cheese. I tried to live without it for about a year and was utterly miserable. It probably  isn't for everybody. I think some people's bodies don't handle cheese well...like Sasha...Hooray for us lucky people who can have it....I am curious to try some different kinds after reading about your favorites...I'm a pretty simple girl and stick with the cheapest and yellowest...
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:02:45 pm »

My dad went to France on his mission, so fine cheeses grace our house every so often... and our grocer just started stocking a HUGE selection of great cheeses. So, once a week, mom lets us pick one and try it. Last week we tried this Madrigal French Swiss that was AMAZING and today we got Champignon (Mushroom) Brie which I liked, but it was more aged and had too much bite for my taste. One thing you ought to try (which we have started doing lately) - instead of topping pasta with Parmesan, use Pecorino Romano. It adds a different flavor to it that doesn't just 'blend in' to the taste of your sauce like Parmesan does.
Some overall favorites are: Smoked Gouda, Boursin and La vasche qui rit (The Laughing Cow).   
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 07:13:33 pm »

Wow,

I love cheese but have not tried many of those mentioned. I am going to have to go out and find many of them now and give them a try.
Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 02:19:49 pm »

Wow, I come home from my fiasco, I mean Chicago marathon, and I find that there are types of cheese mentioned that I haven't tried! Too bad, I went to the store early this morning! I am going to make a list for my weekend shopping trip! Thanks all for posting. If you try something new, please let me know.
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 07:42:48 pm »

The most important thing about cheese, in my opinion, is the QUANTITY of it.  I love cheese.  If anybody ever wanted to set a "Lybi trap", they would get the best results with cheese.  My favorite cheese so far is really high quality goat string cheese from Turkey.  (We had a Turkish exchange student.)  I like salty cheeses like Muenster.  But I have to admit--I'm probably just as happy with a big ol' hunk of cheddar.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 01:44:02 pm »

By far, nacho cheese. Preferably the kind you get at prep basketball games, generally only found in semi-viscous liquid form. The kind you can buy in a jar is okay too, but a little high-brow for me.

I have no idea what the rest of you are talking about. Way over my head.
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 01:49:47 pm »

I have no idea what the rest of you are talking about. Way over my head.

I remember I liked Cheese Whiz when I was a kid.  Just spray it all over those crackers.  Of course now Kraft calls it Easy Cheese.

Josse

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 06:14:40 pm »

Any kind of cheese you can spray form a can or come in liquid form from a jar is NOT considered cheese.  But that stuff is my husbads favorite too.  I love cheese as well, one of my favorites is called gjesost cheese it is a sweet kind of goats cheese that melts in your mouth.  This is sort of a treat for me.  It is really hard to find as well so when I see it I always buy some.  I also love blue cheese on salads and almost every other kind of cheese that is out there.  We should have a running blog cheese party and in stead of wine we can have grape juice.
Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:54:30 pm »

in stead of wine we can have grape juice.
. Or we could have spritzers or "coolers" see thread at "Pre and Post-Run Hydration." Fruit juice and sparkling mineral water goes well with cheese. With some mild cheese, I find lemonade just heavenly. My husband thinks that is gross! Roll Eyes
adam

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 10:17:44 pm »

Mozzarella di bufalo. You haven't lived until you can take down a 250g ball of water buffalo mozza for a snack.

The mozza here (in Utah) to me is dry and tasteless for the most part. In Italy we get the balls fresh each day, and they've been sitting saturating in a light salt water. When they get dry it's usually time to throw it out-which is one reason I have so much trouble eating the shredded mozzarella cheese they sell here. It doesn't quite make sense to me.

Other good italian ones for sandwhiches/red sauces:
Ricotta di pecorino (a dry or wet sheep cheese)
Provola
Asiago (great for sandwhiches)
Gorgonzola (only when melted could I take it down though. When solid its a beast of a moldy cheese).

When in Germany I always liked Leerdammer cheese. I can't remember half of their cheeses' names, but they were all good. Those German/Swiss landers make some good ones.

Smoked Gouda is also a number 1 favorite for me. Only the truly awesome understand its gloriousness.
Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 01:22:01 pm »

Spoken (written) like a true cheese lover. I too like the mozza in salt water. They sell it where I live so that's what we buy. I do love a good smoked gouda. We always have it a Christmas when I visit my parents. I'll have to revisit some the cheeses you mentioned.
James Winzenz

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 10:07:43 pm »

I do love a good smoked gouda.

For some reason, that reminds me of Wallace and Gromit (a claymation series) - Cheese, Gromit!  I do love a good gorgonzola . . .
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: